What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Mako | B&M Hyper Coaster

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
In The Loop In Disguise posted another update, showing the progress of the first turn, and boy, does it look nuts!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50TegTxoIFQ[/youtube]

BigBad

Mega Poster
That might be an inversion. Would that make this the longest inverting coaster? What's the roll threshold for inversion? 135 degrees?

I'm super excited for this. It might end up being the best hyper.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Don't ask if it's an inversion or not, unless if you want furie to get out The Chart.

Tbh, I'd say no, just a really overbanked turn.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
BigBad said:
I concede that I might regret this, but I'm at least a little curious about The Chart.

No Pandora No!
Pandoras%20box_0.jpg

BigBad

Mega Poster
I found it and don't see why it's so disliked. He sets the cutoff at 160 degrees. I disagree with this. Is it some kind of industry standard? 135 makes sense to me.

Anyone think that Pandora would be a good name for a coaster? I've never heard of it being done, not even in NoLimits.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I think Vekoma at one point was selling a flatride called Pandora // Pandora's Box. Never sold but it seemed to be like say, Soarin' at Disney.. but with a rotation in the mix and more than one screen.

Oh, actually... I found the promo video for it on YouTube haha.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqb2YyX-sI[/youtube]

Lofty

CF Legend
^ That Vekoma concept of the ride type 'Pandora's Box' is MILES above Soarin' in terms of ride experience, it was geared towards thrill seekers with the gondolas able to perform some really high manoeuvres.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
BigBad said:
I found it and don't see why it's so disliked. He sets the cutoff at 160 degrees. I disagree with this. Is it some kind of industry standard? 135 makes sense to me.

Anyone think that Pandora would be a good name for a coaster? I've never heard of it being done, not even in NoLimits.
furie has been known to barge into the middle of heated discussions with the chart, scolding all involved.

One important concept, similar to the definition of if something is a roller coaster or not, would be does this overbank feel like an inversion. Indeed, this looks like the steepest overbank I've ever seen on a B&M Hyper. So the question will be, mid ride, does it feel like an inversion? In the same token, was it meant to be an inversion?

I wouldn't classify it as such - just a very, very steep overbank. :)

dannypugh88

Roller Poster
Re: SeaWorld Orlando | Mako | B&M Hyper Coaster

This is quite a standard coaster nothing special. Shambhala at port aventura beats this in height and ride experience from start to finish

Daniel pugh

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^I see you are new, so welcome. But just to let you know, stats mean next to nothing for coasters other than a good marketing scheme. Also, don't judge a coaster before you ride it. ;)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: SeaWorld Orlando | Mako | B&M Hyper Coaster

I disagree - always judge before you ride!

Most of us haven't ridden the same set of coasters and we wouldn't have anything to talk about if we never discussed things we haven't ridden.

And once you do then ride something, identifying what of your preexisting judgement was accurate and what surprised you is really interesting.

Ya know, people only ever moan about others judging things when they're being negative. No one responds to OMG THIS LOOKS SO COOL with HEY stop JUDGING IT BEFORE YOU RIDE IT!

...I would however ask Mr. Pugh to elaborate, and tell us why he thinks Shambala has a better ride experience.

I have mixed opinions re Mako. Great colour scheme, liking the name more and more, its what Florida needs... But will it be a Fury?

As I said a few pages back, knowing that b&m can make rides like Fury in terms of experience is a curse now, because I will forever judge everything they do which isn't a Fury.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I agree and disagree. On one hand you are well within your rights to believe it's a poor version of another coaster (like Mr Pugh or Joey), and if that's the case then articulate it well and discuss it.
On the other hand you're well within your rights to get overly excited about a new cred (like Jarrett), but be prepared for disappointment.

Some creds we all agree look fantastic, lightning rod, wildfire etc, that pre judging seems to be fine.
It's when we get into the lesser (for want of a better word) creds such as Mako, Joker's mayhem, even Taron has some people not loving it. In these cases the discussion is interesting because of the pre judged opinions.

It won't be Fury'ous enough for you Joey, and that's ok, because not everything should be a Fury.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
And I too side with dannypugh... at least on the notion of stats. It is difficult to get excited about a smaller, slower, shorter B&M Hyper that is further away from me.

Ben

CF Legend
First of all, Fury isn't even B&M's best work - Shambhala and SFoG's Goliath are both better :p

And that's what has me excited for Mako - Goliath shouldn't be B&M's best coaster ever on paper, but it is. It's outstanding. And this has quite a lot in common with that ride!

It won't be the best B&M ever, but this will certainly be a great ride.

And it's airtime. In Florida! Can you imagine such a thing?!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
DelPiero said:
It won't be Fury'ous enough for you Joey, and that's ok, because not everything should be a Fury.
objection.jpg

That's like saying not all food has to taste good! Madness.

Ben said:
First of all, Fury isn't even B&M's best work - Shambhala and SFoG's Goliath are both better :p
Gonna add that to the database of examples why Ben's opinion doesn't matter! :p

Ok, so i've not ridden Shamabalalalalala, my opinion of that ride is that it's pretty, it has a stupid name and it looks pretty good. Unfortunately it's at Port Aventura, so by the time I get to it it'll have more gum and graffiti than a New York subway, and look like ****. And the queue will be 50x longer than necessary, because every visitor to PA is a professional queue jumper.

In more seriousness... Goliath is generally regarded as the best B&M mega (I included gigas in the definition), isn't it? It wasn't my favorite before Fury, but it was... um, the best? I've ridden? I think there's a difference, between distinguishing quality, and knowing your fun or preference is laced in some un-objectivity.

You also think Leviathan is better than Fury, right? See, you're just wrong. Leviathan is a slow floaty meh, Fury thinks it's an Intamin more than Kitsune thought he was a fox.

It won't be the best B&M ever, but this will certainly be a great ride.
This is however very true. It's gonna be decent, probably good, maybe even great! Maybe it'll be outstanding but I highly doubt it, though before I rode Fury I wouldn't have believed that too.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Joey said:
DelPiero said:
That's like saying not all food has to taste good! Madness.
Very poor analogy, I'm disappointed in you Joey :(

It's more like saying not all food has to taste the same. By all means critique a crap coaster (or food that tastes like ****)but so far Mako shows no signs of being crap.

If I put myself in your shoes and said "knowing that Intamin can make rides like Skyrush in terms of experience is a curse now, because I will forever judge everything they do which isn't a Skyrush.", then I would be totally dismissing rides such as Juvelen, Nefeskesen, Darkmare, Havoc in Heavenly Palace and Taron, simply because "They aren't Skyrush". This is way too a simplistic view.

Everytime a new project comes along, I want it to be a Skyrush type, hence why I'm most looking forward to Sandrush, but most of the time those hopes are dashed and something else is built. The main reason I am always hoping for a new Skyrush is so there is one closer to me. Both Sky and Sand are a 7 hour flight/journey from me, so one being built in Europe would satisfy my crave for those types.
I'm sure if a Fury was built at Thorpe then that would satisfy you as well.

The difference is that when I saw Nefeskesen being built, or I'm current watching both Havoc and Taron, It's exciting, they may not be Intamin's best work but they still look absolutely fab, refined and updated versions of previous ride types.

Variety is the spice of life, and I'd be very bored if all we saw in the next 10 years were just Skyrush clones.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ok, I was kinda joking. Just so we're clear.

When I say "like Fury" I mean "in the outstanding category of rollercoasters". So, yes, all coasters should be like Fury, or Skyrush. Why not? Even kiddy coasters should be outstanding, in their field.

See this is the thing, the B&M hyper/gigas are floaty, ride experiences. Thy are all good, some of them great, but until Fury I'd never ridden one I'd call outstanding. And Fury is outstanding because it's very dynamic and combines all of the B&M megas best bits with intense ejector airtime you'd struggle to find even on Intamin hypers. I'm in awe about Ben not seeing the dramatic difference between all the other B&M airtime machines and Fury, because it's more than the dramatic difference between Skyrush and it's kin, to me. But it's not that intense ejector air alone that makes Fury good - even if it was floaty like all the others, it's layout would still make it a very good ride.

There's no reason every coaster shouldn't aim to be "like Fury" in the sense that it should aim to be in the outstanding category. Achieve that by varied means, but why aim to not be great? That makes no sense. This is why I just do not get the "public will love it" attitude, because whilst half the time it's just outright wrong, it's also missing the opportunity to be something that the world will remember. I've always assumed that designing a coaster to be outstanding must be really difficult, else there would be more of them and they would all be at parks who you'd expect to know what they're doing. But instead, I see evidence that they're all flukes.

In my opinion, Kraken is an outstanding coaster. Manta is just decent, maybe good if I'm feeling generous. I'm expecting manta to sit in the very good category. I can't list coasters in top ten, because I argue myself to sleep doing it and I think it's just impossible... So instead I judge coasters by category of terrible, mediocre, decent, good, very good and outstanding. Anything below very good I will often describe as "sh*t" because exaggeration is fun.

Mako was the perfect choice for SeaWorld Orlando - it being tall may draw guests to the park, it is kinda it's own advertisement. It's unique to Orlando, and the international audience especially are likely to not have seen or felt one before. It sets the tone that SeaWorld is more than just orcas, which is what they really need.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
We are more or less on the same page then, it's not unrealistic to expect outstanding coasters across the board, but then it comes down to opinions on ride types.
For example, I prefer Ejector, my top 10 shows that pretty clearly, however, just behind those intense ejector machines rolls up Nitro. So whilst It's not my favourite ride type ever, I still hold it in good stead and would much rather a Nitro than a Kraken in a park.
However, there are others who swear by floater. I've taken a few workmates with me to Europa, and their favourite was Silver Star. I asked them why, "Because you float over the hills and it's great fun!".
Onions.

Point being, fine, it's not what you would ideally like to see but it's a lot better than having a Gerst Eurofighter springing up, which would fall into the **** category.