What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Mako | B&M Hyper Coaster

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
This definitely looks like one of the better layouts on a B&M Hyper.
It just really annoys me that they have this straight bit at the bottom of the drop:

thumb_20160106_makotopout_030.jpg

Like why? What is it good for? Anyone?

BigBad

Mega Poster
TheCoasterCruiser said:
You get a brief break from the G force.

Not everyone wants that break, but having a second to get 4 heart beats at regular gravity could help prevent blackouts.

If that's a real concern for B&M, though, then the must think that, when you are curving, the Gs will be intense.

Lofty

CF Legend
You really aren't going to notice it... Just like nobody talks about the one at the bottom of the drop on Intimidator at Carowinds.

BigBad

Mega Poster
I had to go look at the POV. I had never noticed it, but it's definitely there on Intimidator.

The one on Mako's animated POV is easy to notice, though. They did it on Apollo's Chariot, which is generally liked, but that straight section is obvious. It might be on Mako, too.

Lofty

CF Legend
Using Google Maps measuring tool (this obviously isn't accurate), the Intimidator 'straight; is about 8 - 10 meters, barely anything - Mako's looks to be about the same (maybe 12m or so) if you use the high of an average person being less than 2m (and basing that on the people who are stood there). I very much doubt you'll notice it, whereas Apollo's Chariot's is around 30m (again, according t Google Maps, so this isn't 100% accurate).

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
I've seen it on Intimidator, where it looks more natural for some reason and on Apollo's Chariot it's something entirely else I think, with it following the water and being such a big part of the ride.
With Mako it seems different, but that's just unfair nitpicking from someone who puts aesthetics really high on the list :--D

Ben

CF Legend
BigBad said:
TheCoasterCruiser said:
You get a brief break from the G force.

Not everyone wants that break, but having a second to get 4 heart beats at regular gravity could help prevent blackouts.

If that's a real concern for B&M, though, then the must think that, when you are curving, the Gs will be intense.

Sorry what?

That bit of track will take you a nano second to go over I wouldn't worry about it.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: SeaWorld Orlando | Mako | B&M Hyper Coaster

Lofty said:
You really aren't going to notice it... Just like nobody talks about the one at the bottom of the drop on Intimidator at Carowinds.
No one talks about that one in general because it's the definition of mediocre.

BigBad

Mega Poster
Ben said:
Sorry what?

That bit of track will take you a nano second to go over I wouldn't worry about it.
It's not a second long like I posted, but if Lofty is right and the straight section is 10-12 meters, then you're at regular gravity for about a third of a second (and that seems reasonable from the POV). With an elevated pulse, there's a good chance of getting a beat in that time as you're unlikely to be at your resting heart rate, but even if you miss that heart beat, the human body is pretty good at getting blood to the brain.

Thinking about it more, the G force would have to be really strong for a long time for such a measure to be taken. Big coasters can pull some pretty high Gs. It would surprise me if Mako's pullout curvature were such that the forces were so much more intense than other comparable coasters.

I do think that it would be helpful for something with intensity like I305, though. If you got a few tenths of a second to break during the blackout turn, it would be less of a blackout turn.

(I only rode it after the turn was redone.)

BigBad

Mega Poster
It's so much bigger than Kraken from one angle that it's hard to believe.

It's like a dog and a cat or a parent with a young child.

I'm really excited for this one. The colors and the shape look gorgeous, almost like this could make a run at being B&M's best hyper.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I enjoy how striking the blue supports are against the purple track. Will be a shame once they fade. :p

Before:

4thofjuly_18rc_visitkingsisland-com.jpg

After:

20140725_0404.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ A fun aside, that photo is from Diamondback's opening day, when the queue stretched for 3 hours, circling Diamondback's splashdown. It was... interesting.

12632882_10205862185980337_51061184_o.jpg

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
In The Loop In Disguise posted another update, showing the progress of the first turn, and boy, does it look nuts!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50TegTxoIFQ[/youtube]

BigBad

Mega Poster
That might be an inversion. Would that make this the longest inverting coaster? What's the roll threshold for inversion? 135 degrees?

I'm super excited for this. It might end up being the best hyper.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Don't ask if it's an inversion or not, unless if you want furie to get out The Chart.

Tbh, I'd say no, just a really overbanked turn.