What's new

Knoebels | Flying Turns | In house construction

Wow! Almost twelve months since the most recent update? CF can do better than that surely?

ECG and myself got to look at the FLying Turns last week, and had a lovely chat to a lovely man.

More updates and details here as and when ECG gets a chance to sort through his pictures.

http://www.coasterforce.com/home/p2_articleid/677

theRock-steel said:
The most recent update on this seems to be what everyone else is saying (the "trains" need to be re-done). I have plans for the rest of this year and next year. I would like to go back to eastern PA and central NJ in 2010. Hershey, Dorney, and Great Adventure all seem better than Knoebels. Maybe I'll never go there. I am going to Holiday World along with Kings Island this year. That seemed to be a better "family park with woodens".

I didn't "get" Knoebels until last year.

It is not to be missed.

Don't credit whore it, though. Allow yourself at least 5-6 hours to see what makes it special.

^Agreed. I didn't get to spend much time there, but what time I did spend I did enjoy the park. I probably wont be back anytime soon, or maybe when Flying Turns opens up. :p

It'll be interesting to see more videos of the ride when they start testing again. I remember that one POV they had a while back looked awesome.

Well, I don't have any videos to offer, but here are some more photos of what's going on.

First of all I want to repeat what furie said. I'm most thankful to Richard Knoebels for taking the time to talk to us & answer all of our questions. There is no doubt that he's personally involved in every aspect of running the park & that coasters are a true passion in his life.

Here are two before pictures taken last summer:
KNFlyingTurnsRear.jpg

KNFlyingTurnsTestEnd.jpg

And here are the new photos showing the track extended out a little & modified to help the cars come around, plus the removal of the car storage area (right to left).
IMG_7258Small.jpg

IMG_7253Small.jpg

IMG_7254Small.jpg

IMG_7257Small.jpg

Here you can see where the switch track was removed.
IMG_7255Small.jpg

Here's another photo of the lift hill entry work (to keep the car from getting airborne, as was happening in prior testing):
IMG_7256Small.jpg

Here is where they are prepping to build the new storage area:
IMG_7259Small.jpg

As you can see, the banked curve has been removed...
IMG_7260Small.jpg

...and replaced with track...
IMG_7262Small.jpg

...leading into the re-worked brake run.
IMG_7261Small.jpg

IMG_7264Small.jpg

IMG_7263Small.jpg

This is what this corner used to look like before the re-tracking:
KNFlyingTurnsSide.jpg

This is a photo from last year as well, but this last turn is still in place & will remain so, as the cars don't have a problem entering the station off of it.
KNFlyingTurnsBooth.jpg

So there's still quite a bit of track work to be done, but most of it is for car storage. They are also waiting for the new cars, which will have buffers to help with the transitions, to be delivered. Testing has & can be done with the current cars, so the track work doesn't have to be delayed waiting for the new trains. Don't expect an early summer opening however, as a fall opening is more likely due to all the inspections, etc. that need to be carried out once construction & testing is complete.

I still can't wait for this ride to be finished, as it will be an average ride probably but the nostalgia will make it for me, its a great idea to bring back this ride.

I'm going towards the end of this summer, so my fingers are crossed that they'll get it open by then.

Wait, it's not open yet? SHOCKER!

Silly Knoebel's.

When it opens, I will be launching a project to see what happened in the world from the time they announced it to the time it opened. Hey, at this rate, "Man on Mars" could appear on that last!

Dare I say that 2010 is indeed the year we see the opening of Flying Turns?
I've read that the opening is scheduled in May over Memorial Day weekend. Plus I've read over & over again that construction on Black Diamond, the to-be-refurbished Golden Nugget coaster purchased from Morey's Pier a year ago, wouldn't begin until after Flying Turns was ready to open. Now Screamscape has announced the foundation for the indoor coaster has begun & a photo of the work has been submitted by one of their readers.
db_2010_0130_BlackDiamond11.jpg

All the track re-work on Flying Turns was completed when I was at the park just before it closed for the off-season.
FlyingTurns1.jpg

All this lower track is new.
FlyingTurns2.jpg

It definitely looks ready.
FlyingTurns3.jpg

The lights are even working.
FlyingTurns.jpg
So does this mean testing for the new trains, which started last November, has been completed or at least enough to confirm that it will be done in time?
Well, it's starting to look that way, but I won't believe it until I see it.

The lights are even working.

At least something is...

I remember being quite interested in this about, what, 300 years ago when it started construction? Now I'm just bored of the whole mess.

Pierre said:
This has got to be the slowest construction of any ride before public opening surely?

Yet it only has 8 Pages. Th13teen was a few months and hit 200.

Dave said:
There is a update on the Knoebels website with the parts for the ride starting to be constructed.

DSC_0017b.JPG

Seems like one of the turns are beong built on site.

DSC_0016b.JPG

A zoomed out picture of the construction.

Well this shows how long this thread is going, I posted these while I had Learning Support at College back in 2007.

Plus there's not been much to talk about, we all know what it is, and I guess people have got a bit bored of waiting.