What's new

Knoebels | Flying Turns | In house construction

Excelent. I have a feeling this topic is going to be very dead though, as I'd imagine Knoebels are going to build slow and steady, testing everything to the absolute extreme, hence the 2007 opening.

There is a update on the Knoebels website with the parts for the ride starting to be constructed.

DSC_0017b.JPG

Seems like one of the turns are beong built on site.

DSC_0016b.JPG

A zoomed out picture of the construction.

looks like i may take a while to build, bend all the boards one at a time. Also is it going to look like the earlier ones in the pics on the previous page, or just have a similar layout?

I think it was said to be a clone of the one at Euclid Beach... well back when that was still here. They have plans for that one, so I think they're building it from that.

That would be quite funky if it was.

Well from the webcam i can tell that the first turn is under construction as it can be seen on the right of the screen.

CedarPoint6 said:
I think it was said to be a clone of the one at Euclid Beach... well back when that was still here. They have plans for that one, so I think they're building it from that.

According to Musical Pete, its based on the Riverview one actually. I thought it was Euclid's too, but I was wrong. Its being extended though I think.

The first set of ribs of the track have been completed and are in their foundations.

Here are the pictures.

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

Well Holy **** i actually checked up on the construction of Flying Turns this week and what a big change has happened!

Most of the first turn has been completed and the bents are slowly being constructed.

Here is the latest construction picture:
webcam.jpg

I'm so stoked about this ride, you have no idea. It looks like a small ride, but apparently these things were very thrilling and intense back in the 60's. The top speed is only 24 MPH, but I guess this has the "Space Mountain" effect where you seem like you're going much faster due to the tight turns and such. It's been fun watching it progress over the months, and I'm very happy to have the first Flying Turns in 40 years 15 minutes away from me.

I'm kinda bumed because I am going next week and might not get there for a while afterwards. Especially because this thing will not be worth going for alone, but it would have been pretty cool to ride it anyway.

Well, since the last update two months ago, some track's been put up. And some supports.

Yeah, they appeared to have done quite a bit when we were down at knoebels today, you know, riding phoenix and all. I've got pictures, but no means to upload them currently XD - it'll be next wednesday at earliest, if anyone's interested in them.

A bit out of date, but I have some 'intimate' photos: http://musical.pete.fotopic.net/c999259_109.html

No, not dirty type intimate :p

I have an 8mm bolt from a construction guy somewhere. Not a really important one as it's only short (actually no, I think it's a rib bolt - holds the rib laminate to the steel ribs). Has a nice Nylock nut with it too. Wow I'm exciting. :p

Yeah, it's definatley a coaster. It's just like a bobsled, only wood. These coasters have been built before... just not in a long time.