What's new

Knoebels | Flying Turns | In house construction

Re: "Flying Turns" - Flying Turns for Knoebels

Well, this coaster could potentially be my #100. That is pending it opens before the rescheduled Apocalypse. :roll:

^ Should you ride it but die mid-ride, if your body reaches the station, I'll posthumously update your coaster count for you.

^I think that is an unwritten rule of CF. Maybe we should write it into the T&Cs. See, who says we don't care?

^I guess there's a chance it can open for a week or two during summer. Then they find out something is wrong with it and have to close it again...

rollermonkey said:
Well, any takers that this once "New For 2009" coaster will open in 2012?

Hell, it was meant to be open when we went in 08 at one point!

Bless it.

It is ridiculous I agree. I've said it before, but this entire thing is such an epic fail. If this was any other park it would have had so much more of a bashing for this whole ridiculous farce, but because it's a "nice, family run" park and they're "preserving coaster history" (or whatever), it escapes any major criticism.

I loved the place by the way, but I'm not letting that cloud my judgement of what an absolute **** up this whole thing has been.

Ugh. This again.

Does anyone know EXACTLY what the major problems are with this thing?

At first the trains were tearing up the track. Then I think they had issues with the trains connecting safely and comfortably with the lift hills (I think there are three lifts).

The biggest issue is that it's being hand built using in-house carpenters and fag packet physics. Basically, it's being built like old coasters were, only it has to meet modern day regulations and rider comfort expectations. I think it's more of a hobby for Dick Knoebel and his team than a typical coaster project. I'm sure the Gravity Group could have whipped one up in an afternoon and built it by supper time, but they wanted to do it the old fashioned way... Unfortunately without the experience and knowledge of the people who used to make them :lol:

I thought it was cause the trains were going to high into the turns and with weights tipped over. That and restraint issues.

In the POV released, you see how high up the train goes.

Switching between the hideouts'...

^ But they do that on the newer ones in steel as well, at least Bobbahn at Heide park go all the way up to about 90°.
The only way for them to get it not to do that is to add a friction brake to some of the wheels to reduce the speed...

^ I dont think they can do that due to the wheels. When I was at PPP in '07, they were teasing the ride for the following year. The guy talked about the reason why it was so quiet (when my friends and I were standing in line to go up to the station to hear all this, you didnt hear the ride going until the train was right next to you. He had to tell us where to look so we would know where the train was) was due to the wheels being of different material than your standard wheel. He compared it to a hard gel Roller blade wheel. I cant remember the reason why they chose that type of wheel though...

Switching between the hideouts'...

^Wouldn't stop them using bearings with some sort of friction increaser inside. It wouldn't make the train any louder (it's mostly the wheels on the track), but it would still slow the train down a bit/stop the train getting up so much speed.

Re: Knoebels |"Flying Turns"| In house construction

Anyone know if this or Black Diamond will ever pan out for the summer of 2012?

*consults crystal ball*

The crystal ball says...

How the **** would we know for certain? Moron.

The Magic 8 Ball says everyone in line for Flying Turns on opening day will receive a copy of Half Life 2 Episode 3.

bizarrofan10 said:
Anyone know if this or Black Diamond will ever pan out for the summer of 2012?

20 seconds of research would have told you that Black Diamond opened in 2011.

As for Flying Turns? See Ben's comment above.

Thanks, Ben. But any insider information/educated guess would have been appreciated.

Rollermonkey: I found Black Diamond under coaster-count and coastercounter, but surprsingly it is not listed under rides on the Knoebels website. I'm not sure why, but thanks for your help.