What's new

Knoebels | Flying Turns | In house construction

Re: Knoebels |"Flying Turns"| In house construction

My bad....MORE work is happening there.

Happy! ;)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

When I went to the park earlier this year there were a few mechanics running around checking the brakes and lift chains. I managed to get the attention of one of them and asked what they were doing on the other side and he just bluntly said "Storage Shed."

GCI recently held their own TED-like event, and did a walking tour of Flying Turns with attendees.

... So yay photos of people walking the track! :razz:

602545_10151054569029095_398634111_n.jpg

402786_10151054569174095_7816432_n.jpg

314712_10151054569379095_746085041_n.jpg

523929_10151054569499095_1239256299_n.jpg

295480_10151054569654095_1659840033_n.jpg

376443_10151054569739095_2001557129_n.jpg

376861_10151054569889095_1982648747_n.jpg

555801_10151054569974095_1062705122_n.jpg

More photos from Great Coasters' FRED event: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 094&type=1

Intriguing.

I wonder if GCI has been the 'behind the scenes' supplier of the prototype trains for this? Nobody seems to actually know where they have been coming from... Do we?

What about the CF track walk and tour??? Nobody reports that one :(

^I have loads of photos from our tour if anybody's interested? But I thought ECG would post his viedeo (he filmed the entire thing), hence I didn't feel a need to post them..

Yeah, thanks to Jerry we got to walk the track too, I even got a video myself, it's a little **** but it shows a bit of the ride.

I didnt feel a need to post it aswell, but why the **** not.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm2Nb4uj1P4&feature[/youtube]

Edit - Played around with the code for you to make the video work. Hyde244

Jer said:
Yeah, thanks to Jerry we got to walk the track

Since it's the only action that track is ever going to get, I hope you enjoyed it!

The thing's a **** ing joke.

I've watched the prototype POV of this and while there could be plenty of improvements, this actually does look fun.

Martyn B said:
Did they give you guys any news on the actual coaster?

They said that although it was pretty much completed (they're building a maintenance track slidy thing which is quite cool), testing will be extensive and that it won't open for "at least another couple of years".

Walking around the Flying Turns track is so 2008. So is this ride, and this topic. It's just a disaster!

2008?! Thats being kind, this thread was start in Jan 2006!

This and Ring Racer (which still has opened...) have just been complete disasters.

So is this thing ever gunna open?
It may end up being the most anticipated opening ever!

No engineering expert but seriously how difficult is a small bobsled coaster?

Haha ring racer...talk about embarrassing! If they ever open up now you have a terrible, non record breaking coaster. Awwwesome

Well when you throw in about 2 floods, a whole lot of jack-knifes, about 3 different types of test trains and stack that up on a coaster concept that hasn't been touched on since the 1930's you can see why this has been such an issue.

Ring Racer only went 130 for about .66 seconds before getting trimmed into the hammer head. If I heard this right they're going to be trimming the top speed down to Dudonpa speeds or even slower so the tanks don't explode from the pressure.

That is a good point but still.

Yeah RR was already lame, at least a huge top hat is better than that helix type thing.
According too RCDB RR is only to reach a top speed of 99.4 mph
http://www.rcdb.com/4161.htm

and now it's a upcharge attraction full of suck. Atleast it won't be on the level of Manhattan Express in Las Vegas (TOGOOOOOOOO!!!).

Back on topic. I'm sure Knoebels is getting a little pissed that the ride isn't done yet, but they don't want any possibility of jacknifing to happen whatsoever. If I remember right even the Mack / Gerstlauer Sleds Jacknifed once or twice.

As others have mentioned, this is a piece of technology that hasn't been touched for some 80 odd years.

The first problem with Flying Turns was wheel design, which was eventually corrected, and soon followed by testing of 5 car trains. The trains however were going too fast and ran the risk of jackknifing. So the trick now has been trying to find a new train design (and complete retracking of the ride), which Knoebels announced they believe they had found in June of 2011, when they released a full ride POV.

If Knoebels wanted to hurry up development of this coaster, they would pour a much larger budget into the ride. However, after the recession of 2008, the money is simply not there. So they are left to slowly develop, but develop non the less.

This roller coaster could open 100 years late - it will still be greeted with trumpets and fanfare by coaster geeks and general public alike.

ciallkennett said:
Martyn B said:
They said that although it was pretty much completed (they're building a maintenance track slidy thing which is quite cool), testing will be extensive and that it won't open for "at least another couple of years".

That's oddly different from "it will open when it's ready"...

I half wonder if they are getting close and are keeping it on the downlow.