What's new

Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
This one looks really weird. Where is the rest of the track?

6m90014sdhoq2vi0fs01v4.jpg

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ashstrodamus said:
This one looks really weird. Where is the rest of the track?

6m90014sdhoq2vi0fs01v4.jpg

Somebody put me out of my misery!

It's a flat circular coaster with a "tyre powered loop", I'm almost 100% sure of that. However, I can't remember for the life of me any more details. Isn't it somewhere like France? Obviously it's not America or Britain otherwise everyone here would know about it.

Anyway, that's why you can't see the track, because it's all at ground level.

Jer

Strata Poster
^It's in Germany, I'm pretty sure because it says Eingang on the awning, that's German for entrance im pretty sure.

Yesterday I was on the internet and I found this bit of banking

Jet_Star_Sarkanniemi-6.jpg

It's just a normal Shwarzkoph Jet Star, but i've never seen that section of banking before, it looks off to me.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Could be Germany, your eyesight is better than mine (or you have a much bigger monitor) - I couldn't read the sign.

I saw that coaster there and immediately though "Ouch, I remember that bit of track, it's part of what made Black Hole so **** ".

Then read on and it was confirmed ;)

Martyn B

CF Legend
That other coaster is the Schwartzkopf Katapult coaster, according to RCDB, there were 8 made, but none exsist today. Here's a better view.

fjv21fa3b5g00p0auog0eg.jpg

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yeah, and going by video's on Youtube, it doesn't seem to 'coast' much either, so it is technically a powered coaster really.

Idlewild

Mega Poster
Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

Look at this video,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rls0LtvNcz4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Pictures don't do justice to the oddness of the ride. The train has both lap bars and OSTRs and most oddly of all the tyres are powered by a prop shaft that runs around the track.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Well, it's essentially a "Ring of Fire" type ride that just has a horizontal section too...although I might still count it?

MJNemesis

Roller Poster
Wow that's odd... looks like it would fit in the average back garden!

There's one in particular that I found a bit strange... It was called Toboggan and it was at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach (about 15yrs ago I saw it). I think there are travelling ones too. It consisted of strange looking single cars that disappeared into tube that contained a vertical lift hill. The cars emerged from the top of the tube and just travelled down a helter-skelter helix of track that went down round the lift part.

http://www.rcdb.com/813.htm?p=21403

There's the overview pic but if you google it there's a POV video and other pics.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
MJNemesis said:
There's one in particular that I found a bit strange... It was called Toboggan and it was at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach (about 15yrs ago I saw it). I think there are travelling ones too. It consisted of strange looking single cars that disappeared into tube that contained a vertical lift hill. The cars emerged from the top of the tube and just travelled down a helter-skelter helix of track that went down round the lift part.

http://www.rcdb.com/813.htm?p=21403

There's the overview pic but if you google it there's a POV video and other pics.
They may seem weird, wacky & strange, but Chance Rides Toboggan coasters were fairly common back in the day & they were all traveling (even if some were installed as semi-permanent rides in parks).

As far as POVs go, why not promote ours. :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZupxHvQcsUE[/youtube]

Martyn B

CF Legend
This one is strange, its in a shopping mall in Istanbul. It has a twisty lift hill (see; RCT n00b) and quite a big drop, into a helix, and ends.

mrgthc58c9a5s71g001co5.jpg