Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Re: WC16 | Thorpe Park | New ??? for 2016

This pretty much confirms the rumours:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOK9YUiJFA0&app=desktop[/youtube]

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

As usual very short and ambiguous but it looked cool, the gears suggest automatons could definitely feature in the attraction.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Can't seem to copy it on mobile (think it might be an image) but the website now has some new text on it mentioning a 'mind maze', how it is going to be a 'worlds first' and then how you have to sign up for more spoilers over the coming months and to enter a competition to win opening night tickets etc.

So far seems it just like a lot of hype which I am wondering whether it will live up to. Can't say I'm super excited but then again I'm not really a dark ride fan anyway so wasn't when it was first announced regardless of the theme.

3Dimensions

Mega Poster

SilverArrow said:
Can't seem to copy it on mobile (think it might be an image) but the website now has some new text on it mentioning a 'mind maze', how it is going to be a 'worlds first' and then how you have to sign up for more spoilers over the coming months and to enter a competition to win opening night tickets etc.

So far seems it just like a lot of hype which I am wondering whether it will live up to. Can't say I'm super excited but then again I'm not really a dark ride fan anyway so wasn't when it was first announced regardless of the theme.

The mind maze page has been there for a while, just describing the different prizes.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I still think he'll just feature as almost a host for the attraction, but it won't actually be themed around him.

Lofty

CF Legend

The use of "‘derail people’s minds’" and the fact that there's an separator image on the initial email that's railway tracks and people as the sleepers, I think it's safe to say that it's train themed...

Howie

Donkey in a hat

^
Fascinating reading for sure, I'm liking some of the language being used - things like; 'completely unlike anything you'd expect to see at a theme park' and 'cutting edge technology that will truly derail the mind'.
I'm also quite pleased that DB has been fundamentally involved in the creation of the thing, rather than just being hired by Thorpe Park to just put his name on their latest piece of crap.

But it doesn't actually tell us much that we didn't already know/suspect. Derren Brown IS involved. The 'experience' will involve some sort of 'illusion'. Darkness, Victoriana and mind control will feature heavily. It's taken 3 years and lots of cash to make it happen.
The only new snippets of info are that the 'journey' will last 13 minutes and will be different each time you 'ride'... although still no word on whether it will feature any kind of ride system at all - we could still be looking at a walk-through attraction here people!!!

So, uhm.... yeah. There you go.
My level of curiosity has gone up. I'm even more intrigued by this project than I was before, but I'm still not officially 'excited' by it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

World's first psychological ride!!!!!!

Apart from when they said the exact same thing about Th13teen five years ago.

peep

CF Legend

^ha, I was thinking the same earlier. The fools claim so many pointless "firsts" not even they can keep up.

I take it this will be a trackless ride system and they'll have various video tracks and just place everything on random, a bit like Star Tours 2.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

spicy

Giga Poster

Yeah that is what I am thinking, trackless ride system that can go on different routes with different screens on those domes that we have seen constructed and make it disorientating. Plus a Derren Brown pre-show.

2016aug15construction13.jpg

Kinda like the screen domes you go into on Ratatouille/Forbidden journey etc, apart from looks like you could travel right through.

Of course could be completely wrong but I think they are definitely going down the screens mixed with physical effects route.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

I'm actually reasonably excited. Derren Brown's shows are generally of a high quality and very fascinating/entertaining. If he has had a large enough input in creating this then it might be quite good.

I just hope it is some sort of mechanical ride and not a walk-through or a show.

Martyn B

CF Legend

So who ever mentioned Derren Brown aaaages ago obviously needs a pat on the back!

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

^^ I had hoped it wasn't true when I initially said it, haha. Oh well.

It'll be interesting to see how they spend/waste all of that massive budget on this. After all, the money could have bought a decent sized B&M/Intamin/RMC and then had heaps of money left over to refurbish huge areas of the park that need it.

Spicy, that picture makes it look like one large room with a curved screen, rather than multiple domes, which leads me to think something more along the lines of that dinosaur ride they built in Germany with the big jeeps?

I won't hold my breath for something that uses screens though. If Merlin can't even keep the "Optical illusions" working properly in the Smiler queueline (a number of times I've been now the projector has just been displaying an error message/BSOD), lord knows how they'll manage something like this.

davidm

Strata Poster

Killing time in my lunch hour...

First time that this thread started talking about dark rides instead of RMCs and B&M megas was October last year (page 12), first time anyone started talking about DB in context of the DR was June this year by that there ^ Crazycoaster (page 33).

Quite amusing re-reading various people's comments back then!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Not that I'm doubting anybody, but I think the chances of anybody making the Derren Brown connection many months ago is very, very slim unless they had insider information.

I'm expecting something that will blow my mind the first time I experience it, as I do when I watch his telly shows. But as for repeat appeal...? Nah, it has none. Unless, of course, they have some tricks up their sleeves.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Its just personal taste but I don't get what all the fuss is about with Darren Brown. TLDR: he's a smug git...

He's just peddling the same stuff that mediums have been doing for years. One of my friends took me to a spiritualist meeting once (I went along as I was intrigued as to what they actually did) and, as expected, it was the biggest crock of **** I've ever seen. And I've felt the same thing watching DB on TV. The thing he does guessing the name of someone's relatives through a doll is no different to a medium. The thing with the spinning tables. Seriously, who buys into that hokum? He actually annoys me to the point that I can't watch him.

Has no one seen the Magicians film with David Mitchell in it? Where they all hate the guy who falls back on medium work. That's DB.

Sorry, I seem to have railroaded this discussion about Thorpe's new ride. Please continue back on track with the saintly adoration...

PeteA

Roller Poster

The thing about Derren Brown is that he tells you its all tricks. He isn't a medium, he doesn't believe in them. He uses cold and hot reading techniques along with reading body language in his "medium" tricks and he does it very well. There are plenty of you tube videos showing this. In fact in one TV show he used his techniques against a "proper" medium and he actually did better. Do a youtube search for Derren Brown Joe Power. That show was called Derren Brown Investigates: The Man Who Contacts The Dead

Anyway, sorry back on topic. If done well this could be great.