What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Re: WC16 | Thorpe Park | New ??? for 2016

I totally agree about the lack of hype. I'm sure it'll ramp up before the park opens next year but at the moment its all pretty boring. Has anyone tried explaining/building excitement for this with non-goons yet? 'Well they're building a big shed with some psychological sort of theme. No, we don't know what it is. No, we don't know what it does. Well Darren Brown may or may not be involved. Here's a picture of an eye'.

Doesn't exactly get your heart pounding does it?

mouse

Giga Poster

CoasterCrazy said:
What possibly bugs me even more with Merlin is their complete lack of announcements of new additions. With all their 'clever' little marketing campaigns, how much would it take to just do a CGI mockup and spread it to the media to make national news like every other major theme park does? They can build up as much as they want to an announcement, then once everyones' aware of it, they can gain a greater following for their construction updates?
That's an interesting point. I wonder if their marketing campaigns would be more successful if they were obvious and frank about what's happening, and just get it out into the media. Their subtle cryptic campaigns can get a bit tedious, and seem to only be followed by people who follow the park anyway.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

mouse said:
and seem to only be followed by people who follow the park anyway.

This is another big problem, the general public will only give a **** if its straight up revealed what the ride is going to be, what its going to do and what the theme is.

99% of your average joes and janes in the UK will have no **** idea that Thorpe are building a new ride. I bet if I said to flatmates now "Thorpe Park are building a new ride" they would ask "Is it a rollercoaster?" and would be like "Oh ok." when I explain its an indoor ride.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Theme Park Collective have posted images of hoodies at thorpe with the following supposed clue slogans on:
"End of the Line"
"No Drill, No Spill."
"This money tastes funny"

Ok so google didn't really enlighten me with any of these slogans but here is an observation:

No drill, no spill is a greenpeace/anti oil drilling in the arctic etc activist slogan. The end of the line one is a song but also a book on overfishing and the money one sounds like a quote but suggests some sort of anti establishment message (dismaland style??) so maybe we could be looking at something apocalyptic/humans have ruined the world type thing?

Might not even be clues but the people over at TPC seemed to think so.

The mini site also talks about inviting you to "unearth the secret that lies at the heart of the island". Sounds pretty nemesis-like tbh unless they are just referring to it's location in the centre of the park. But then we also have the psychological sounding blurb about "why do we feel fear" etc and the "konami code" thing that suggests a game based theme.

So basically, still no idea. I have a feeling that trying to guess the theme is going to be more fun than the actual ride.

(I wish they could actually theme a ride on something not dark and mind boggling for once! All the marketing slogans start to sound the same as each other after a while)

Lofty

CF Legend

'End of the line' would refer to the Depot of a train by the way, as in 'end of the train line' and has absolutely **** all to do with Greenpeace - you really didn't need to google that...

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

If the ride is both meh and has a preachy in-your-face environmental message that would be rubbing salt in the wound.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Lofty said:
'End of the line' would refer to the Depot of a train by the way, as in 'end of the train line' and has absolutely **** all to do with Greenpeace - you really didn't need to google that...
Re-read what I said. I didn't say that at all.

The spill one is linked to Greenpeace etc not the end of the line one.

Yeah I forgot to say about the train thing, think I took that out when I edited the comment.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Lofty said:
Re-read what I said. I didn't say that at all.

The spill one is linked to Greenpeace etc not the end of the line one.

I did think of the train reference too but o think I must have edited out when I edited the comment.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

elephant58 said:
I wouldn't trust anything TPC are coming out with at the moment.
I thought the same but these are hoodies in the shop (with photos) so at least they actually exist. Whether or not they mean anything is another story.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Late point is late, but wasnt the Konami code first used in the 3rd Contra game?

Edit: Nope, twas Gradius. Popularized through the US and European release of Contra III though.

So, if this were to have a Konami related IP, then check that list of games it was used in and see what could involve those most recent lines based off of a plot?

Lofty

CF Legend

Which would be lost on 90% of the British public. That won't happen.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Intricks said:
Late point is late, but wasnt the Konami code first used in the 3rd Contra game?

Edit: Nope, twas Gradius. Popularized through the US and European release of Contra III though.

So, if this were to have a Konami related IP, then check that list of games it was used in and see what could involve those most recent lines based off of a plot?

No idea what Konami really is but wiki has a list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Konami_games
Clearly it's Yu-Gi-Oh themed </sarcasm>

I wonder if half of the clues are completely irrelevant to the actual theme and are just meant to throw people off because none of them seem to link at all.

Only like 5 days till some more clues though.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

SilverArrow said:

My excitement for this ride would go from 0 to 9000 if it was, that would be sooooo good if it was done well

jj23w

Hyper Poster

It's most probably London Underground themed. You see a lot of it in containment.

3Dimensions

Mega Poster

jj23w said:
It's most probably London Underground themed. You see a lot of it in containment.

Seeming as WC in the working title stands for Whitechapel (which itself is an area of London and its own tube station) it does seem likely. Or just a decoy like 'Project Dylan' or even the SW series.

Lofty

CF Legend

At the moment, there's little/nothing to actually go on of concrete evidence, just the hears'y and at the moment that all points to one thing: some tie-in with Derren Brown, an immersive motion simulator with VR of some kind and a 'London' tie-in, with the station element and building being themed to a 'Depot'. Based from this evidence, it could definitely have a sort of steampunk train element. If they go down the route of the old Necropolis railway they can go and **** themselves because they are not worthy to use such a fantastic theme :lol:

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

jj23w said:

That would make sense, considering some of the earliest teasers released did have a London Underground roundel style to them. Extending the Piccadilly line from Heathrow into the park via Staines?

Could get a lot more customers through train + park tickets and be useful for Staines commuters into London....

if only...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I've removed a couple of posts and I'm guessing you know what the content is.

It's not because I don't want CFers to speculate or discuss it. It's about holding off until we know all the facts and make a proper and justified judgement. One or two insecure images tardily posted by Thorpe which are subsequently uncovered by somebody with far too much time on their hands is not enough to form an opinion.

Don't be put off or excited about what you might have briefly seen on here - or other enthusiast web sites - save that for for when all is revealed.

If anything, it only proves the point that Thorpe's and Merlin's entire approach to PR needs a rethink. Reveal everything straight away and market it for what it is. It works for the Yanks and I think most enthusiasts would show them more respect if they did so.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

SilverArrow said:
Intricks said:

No idea what Konami really is but wiki has a list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Konami_games

I wonder if half of the clues are completely irrelevant to the actual theme and are just meant to throw people off because none of them seem to link at all.

Only like 5 days till some more clues though.

cjbrandy said:
SilverArrow said:

My excitement for this ride would go from 0 to 9000 if it was, that would be sooooo good if it was done well
Have Konami ever made a Dragon Ball game? My excitement would be over 9000 if that was the theme!