What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Smithy

Strata Poster
Re: WC16 | Thorpe Park | New ??? for 2016

You know when you get to the party late and feel like you're the only one who's missed the massive thing everyone else is secretly now talking about.

Yeah.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

How do we know it'll suck? Nobody's ridden it, it isn't even announced for **** sake!

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Jarrett said:
How do we know it'll suck? Nobody's ridden it, it isn't even announced for **** sake!

You're completely right, we have no idea what it is yet but pessimism is a part of British culture and British CFers trust Merlin to not overhype and disappoint as much as any sane person would trust the Nigerian prince who emails you saying he wants to share $1million with you.

Lofty

CF Legend

Based off of what everybody sort-of knows it'll be, you can actually have an opinion on it before it's constructed. Just like you can if a Reverchon mouse or Go Gator is being constructed - those hat have tried a similar ride type, in Shrek's Adventure for example, or Europa's new VR Coaster concept, they can say what they think...

Martyn B

CF Legend

I'm still pinning my hopes on a Spiderman style ride.... omg could actually imagine?!

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Martyn B said:
I'm still pinning my hopes on a Spiderman style ride.... omg could actually imagine?!
With the budget they have I wouldn't put your hopes too high.

Lofty

CF Legend

The clock is timing down to 2 days time, so I'm guessing something will be released then?

EthC

Mega Poster

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DerrenBrown/status/657573433371443200[/tweet]

Looks like more of a possibility now, with a teaser coming from his mouth and not from a "leaked image".

Smithy

Strata Poster

hahahaha **** hell "a world first" that has Merlin all over it.

Zac

Roller Poster

To be honest, judging by the programs he has made in the past, its unlikely he would put his name to a massive stinking pile of ****, so maybe it will be at least half decent.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Really?

That Ollie bloke that used to be on here must be in heaven

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Zac said:
To be honest, judging by the programs he has made in the past, its unlikely he would put his name to a massive stinking pile of ****, so maybe it will be at least half decent.

Mon£y talk$.

Though to be fair if Derren had a lot of creative control it will probably be interesting.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I doubt he does. I doubt the ride is even themed around him, I just think he's a nice bit of marketing - a bit like when Jack Osbourne became 'Director of Fear' for Sub-Terra, but on a bigger scale.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

cjbrandy said:
Zac said:

Mon£y talk$.

Though to be fair if Derren had a lot of creative control it will probably be interesting.
Brown used to make really interesting... I dunno, real? Authentic? Unbelievably believable? Programming for TV. But that ceased. He started making ridiculous over-hyped stuff that strayed so far from his own personality and the majority of those who liked him started to turn sour. Or that, at least, describes me. He got too big, I guess, is the main problem. He became a character. In order for him to work as an attraction IP, that's exactly what his stuff would need to be like though, in fairness. I just can't imagine Merlin being able to make whatever this thing is about a brilliant enough spectacle. If it is Derren Brown related, which is looking likely given the evidence, then it's going to be about leaving the audience confused or amazed. Like, Hex? I suppose. But I don't trust Merlin of today to do that. They, for whatever reason, loose sight of what's important and concentrate too much on some stupid gimmick, spending millions on it, placing all their bets on it, with nothing to support that core thing.

Howie

Donkey in a hat

The most recent picture (nothing but blackness) is accompanied by the words;

'Monday.... 9am.... The island is changing'.

Thorpe Park have also responded to some of the comments with:

'Darkness is the key.'

It's safe to say that some sort of announcement is imminent. Finally!