What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Re: WC16 | Thorpe Park | New ??? for 2016

This just sounds really Thirteen right now. I really hope it has a more independent theme than just Derren Brown and his TV shows and hopefully calling him the 'designer' is more of a PR stunt. My excitement level for this project has plummeted. And if this has been in the pipeline for 3 years, then surely that means that the 2015 coaster was cancelled around 2012 as well?

However, at least it's thought to be 13 minutes long, although if the throughput's low.....

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Agreed that I think this is going to have poor re-rideability. Even if it had a couple of options in it, once you've done those on your first trip or whatever it won't be too exciting again. I think dark rides in general are less re-rideable than coasters, water rides and flats but this seems like it might be one of the least repeatable if it's based on you being tricked or surprised.

Also, how quickly will the theme date? Probably not as bad as angry birds or I'm a celeb but I always think IPs (particularly ones that aren't tied to huge fandoms like star wars, harry potter etc) can get outdated pretty quickly.

Martyn B

CF Legend

When his name first came up months ago, I didn't the idea, but I was just thinking along the lines of it being a Derren themed dark ride....

This however isn't so bad. They obviously only got him involved so people will have more of an interest in the ride. All I want is a solid re-ride-able dark ride. Not gash like Sub Terra .

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

The person behind the "British Dark Rides Project" facebook page had an interesting comment to make (top post)
https://www.facebook.com/British-Dark-R ... 131295505/
(Wasn't sure whether it was ok to copy the text so have just given the link.)

I think we can all agree that X probably doesn't have long left but it does seem very repetitive and that's without mentioning Thirteen and Smiler themes.

spicy

Giga Poster

SilverArrow said:
The person behind the "British Dark Rides Project" facebook page had an interesting comment to make (top post)
https://www.facebook.com/British-Dark-R ... 131295505/
(Wasn't sure whether it was ok to copy the text so have just given the link.)

I think we can all agree that X probably doesn't have long left but it does seem very repetitive and that's without mentioning Thirteen and Smiler themes.

What he says about the original X: No way out is true and it was a complete fail but it was attempted before Tussaud's bought the park so its an unfair comparison really.

Kind of interesting how on that page he worships the original CWoA dark rides like Terror Tomb and 5th Dimension. Would love to know the reception WC16 would get if it turned out to be a modernised version of one of these ride types where you board a car and go through themed dark scenes. I guarantee it wouldn't be so positive, yet everyone looks back so fondly :lol:

Of course technology has advanced since the days of Terror Tomb therefore it would now get a poor reception in my opinion, and I don't think it is unreasonable for people to expect that a multi million pound company like Merlin can't recreate something to slightly resemble Spiderman in 2016. That ride is 17 years old when WC16 opens! Yet we know it won't come near it... That is why this may disappoint many as so many people in the UK have experienced Spiderman.

Bit of a rant but that FB page got me thinking :lol:

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

I'm glad we've finally learnt some more information about what this ride is.

I am not familiar with Derren Brown's work, I have never watched his shows etc. I have only heard about him through word of mouth and now this project. I am looking forward to seeing what the ride actually is. The fact it is being advertised as a 'phycological' attraction makes me side with Ian in that, for now, I feel this will only have the 'wow' factor first time, because the second time you'll know what happens!

Looking forward to seeing this develop further over the coming weeks and months.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Jordanovichy said:
I am not familiar with Derren Brown's work, I have never watched his shows etc.

This deindividuation episode is a good place to start. Yes, its fake and staged as **** but it was really watchable and entertaining watching this in Psychology and the subject (deindividuation) is very real and similar to what happens in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMRszlaWjeo

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team

I'm starting to think this ride will be a vaguely similar experience to Hex, as in: effects and illusions happen to the room you're in, rather than traversing passed them on a track. I was innitially excited about the ride hardware, hoping for some kind of Kuka Robocoaster arms, but I dont think it will be that type of track ride. I hope it doesn't depend too much on screens.

I must say, the more they reveal, the more intregued I am.

In regards to the IP though, I told some people at work (work mates are my bartometre of normality!) and they didn't even know who Derren Brown was. I wish Thorpe would aim a little higher with their IPs, or not bother at all.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I thought someone ruled that out because of the size of the pit needed...? It better not be, the one I went on in Germany was utter turd.

Lofty

CF Legend

It's a form of that ride, it's nothing more than that, I wouldn't hold out on people saying "It can't be that because of...", that's merely their opinion on the subject when in reality they're guessing.

The ride is a combination of Scruffy Dog & Simworx - chances are more likely that it is that ride type seen as that's what was added into Shrek's Adventure and they signed the same ride type to other locations.

I'm hoping it's more something like this: http://www.simworx.co.uk/av-fx/agv-darkride/ but it's highly doubtful.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Based on Simworx's previous work, should we be expecting greatness? What is the best ride they have made?

davidm

Strata Poster

DB was just on the TV (one show), they mentioned this - he described it as a "thing". ;)

(yeah sorry, fairly useless post isn't it)

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Yeah, on Absolute Radio, he said that it's a 'kind of' ride, but more of an attraction. If this means loads pre-shows and stuff before the actual ride (i.e. Hex), then great, but if it does just end up being a really expensive walkthrough, then I'll be a bit disappointed. ;)

Smithy

Strata Poster

Tbf he described it as a 'thing' to correct them for calling it a rollercoaster as a lot of other media have done.

Also said it was their most expensive investment to date, will be unique in the world, usual Merlin spiel.

Lofty

CF Legend

I think you can guarantee on several ore-show and show scenes before the actual 'ride' itself, they're used to control throughput much easier and add to the 'experience', hence the '13 minutes', which in reality, it **** all when you compare it to Hex and Universal's offerings of this press-show/ride combinations.