What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Ben

CF Legend
Re: WC16 | Thorpe Park | New ??? for 2016

Dilapidated warehouse, yawn.

Looks like it's going to be converted to flats at any point.

If you can't even be arsed to do something original within your own park let alone the industry I don't hold out much hope.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Ahaha I see what they can do here. Because its already meant to look shabby like its falling apart it means they'll never have to bother refurbushing or repainting the scenery because its meant to look shabby. Clever

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

elephant58 said:
In a weird way, the dilapidated industrial vandalised theme makes me excited. It seems slightly more original than other Merlin concept art

Apart from Saw, a whole 2-minute walk away.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

What I mean is that this one looks like your average industrial warehouse thing and where I live, there are quite a few of them. That's why I find it interesting. Saw doesn't look as realistic, I suppose that's the difference I mean.

Lofty

CF Legend

Dilapidated Warehouse?! That is just Saw, that's the whole of it. Just, that.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Lofty said:
Dilapidated Warehouse?! That is just Saw, that's the whole of it. Just, that.
Not to mention Saw Alive...

Meh. I was never really bothered about this ride at all, but I care even less now. They missed their chance to do something different [read: good].

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

cjbrandy said:
Ahaha I see what they can do here. Because its already meant to look shabby like its falling apart it means they'll never have to bother refurbushing or repainting the scenery because its meant to look shabby. Clever
Enthusiasts used to say that as a joke but I'm starting to think that's what they're actually doing.

Saw: dilapidated warehouse.
Saw Alive: dilapidated warehouse.
The Swarm: dilapidated church.
This: dilapidated warehouse.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

^Dont forget the same theme at the other brilliant Merlin Attractions:

Smiler: Dilapidated warehouse.
"Dark Forest": Dilapidated forest.
Chessington World of Adventures: Dilapidated theme park.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

elephant58 said:
^Since when was the Smiler a dilapidated warehouse?

I can see where he's coming from. Its not exactly a warehouse but the theme is quite industrial, like hypnosis on a factory production line.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Yeah, the station is a concrete block, and the original artwork showed it as a dilapidated warehouse, so I was referencing that.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

elephant58 said:
What I mean is that this one looks like your average industrial warehouse thing and where I live, there are quite a few of them. That's why I find it interesting. Saw doesn't look as realistic, I suppose that's the difference I mean.
Ah yes, what a great idea for theme park scenery! Something the locals see every day! Marvelous!

"But that's the point!"

No. Well yes, but no as in "that's a terrible idea". (Click me! I'm a link to an explanation!)

Also, the thing about Saw is that it's not set in London. It doesn't look "realistic" because it's reasonably foreign. It still looks believable, though. Because even fantasy worlds can look believable. And that's what theme park scenery is about. The problem is that even Disney can't get the whole "theming to something mundane" thing right. Even Disney. Even Disney.

Merlin keep going for these wearhouse-like, mundane, grungy and industrial themes for one reason - their cheaper to create effectively. And I actually much prefer them doing that than trying to half-arse visuals that require more than cheap materials, likely often found objects (aka... rubbish - but I'm just guessing here) sourced from who knows where. At least then we get more bang for the buck when it comes to decoration. The problem is everything Merlin do is starting to look the same. We can sit here and argue about whether Smiler, Saw, Sub Terror and now this are "warehouses", but we surely all agree that they are aesthetically similar on that "mundane building" level. Out of them, Saw is the best, because it has the most... Well, stuff going on. It's not a solid block, it's wooden panels, and that matters when your eyes move over it. It's got moving parts, etc.

Going back to even Disney, it's a growing trend with them to pick an IP and instead of put in the ...quality content, to fall back on decorating it heavily and that'll do. That comes from what they learnt about stuff they didn't decorate heavily - for example, California Adventure. Personally, I really don't think Radiator Springs Racers, as an attraction, is that moving or special or powerful, but it's jaw-dropping decoration makes me feel bad for thinking that. Look at the exterior of Little Mermaid at California Adventure and compare it to that at Magic Kingdom - a friend told me that effort has made a difference statistically on guest feedback. Decoration, even if it's lacking depth, is good. And in some cases, it's better than depth, as in the example detailed in that link up there...

Dave

CF Legend

Plus the locals can identify with the whole run down industrial theming!

Lofty

CF Legend

The issues is, this shows more as a warehouse and not a train depot, it's not identifiable as a train depot - well, it is, but in terms of thematic aesthetics, you need to make the mass market understand what the product is easy. The best way of doing this is by making it look more like a train station, and an easier way of doing this would have been to take the 'look' of King's Cross which nearly all the UK public knows due to Harry Potter amongst other movies.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Not really feeling the whole "another creepy ride at Thorpe" aspect of this. Especially when the scariest part of this ride is thinking about how much money they're wasting on a hasbeen IP and a ride that'll be fun once.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I wouldn't really call Derren Brown a 'hasbeen'.

To be honest, I'm actually quite excited for this, mainly because it's the biggest thing the UK's getting next year. And while Merlin have done spooky themes before of course, this juxtaposition of modern and Victorian is certainly interesting. Could I also be right to assume that the image of 5 people standing ina row could be the ride's logo?

JoshC.

Strata Poster

^I'd agree that 5 person thing seems to a logo for the attraction.

As for Derren being a hasbeen, I'd disagree. He certainly isn't as big a name in the UK as he was 5 years ago, but then again, he hasn't done as much lately. He might have gotten a bit too big for himself ('How to Win the Lottery' for example), but nonetheless, he still as a strong following, and is popular. I'm surprised when people haven't heard of him one way or another.

I'm still not particularly "excited" for this, since there's basically no official information about what we're in store for. But still, I'm intrigued as to what will happen.

peep

CF Legend

Well has-beens can't sell out a London theatre for a 3/4 week stint and he has so..

The creepy dolls seems to be gaining some momentum regarding online coverage.

I'm keeping my expectations for this very low because I just don't believe for a second that Merlin can pull off a decent dark ride.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I don't get the whole creepy doll thing.

http://n.mynews.ly/!QB.DK9KQ

Well, I get the connection of the theme but I can't see how it creates attention. Unless they had large Thorpe logos on their backs?