What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

mouse

Giga Poster
Re: WC16 | Thorpe Park | New ??? for 2016

Not really, he's more about psychology and hypnotism mixed with illusion - like some kind of mind control freak.
He's absolutely brilliant :). Although if he is involved I would imagine he would just be associated with the ride rather than have it completely themed around him.

Lofty

CF Legend

He's more akin to David Blaine than David Copperfield.

Howie

Donkey in a hat

Sorry if this has been covered, but any guesses as to what WC16 stands for?
If The Swarm was LC12, what could the WC mean??
Quite a risky codename because unless the ride is absolutely kick-ass, it's inevitably gonna draw endless Water Closet gags. I can see the headlines already;
"Thorpe Park blow £30mil on giant toilet".

I was at the park on Friday (Oct 2nd) and got several good views of the construction site from various rides (Detonator, N'Inferno's lift hill, Slammer etc.. ) and there's still no real clues as to what this will be.
I didn't get any pictures sadly but there's really not much more to see than has been posted already. Namely 2 large, rectangular buildings with a few concrete pits/trenches inside, between 6' and 10' deep.

At the moment, I'm still nothing more than 'intrigued' by this project. If it wasn't for the enormous price tag, I'd already be writing this off as a typical Merlin turkey.
All this mystery and suspense is all well and good, but if Thorpe want to generate some genuine excitement they need to start giving out a few more hints about what we can expect, otherwise people are gonna get bored of it before the ride has even opened.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

One of the plans released had 'Project Whitechapel' written on them, which led many to believe that is what WC will stand for. This is also a reason why many think there will be some Victorian theme to the ride.

Part of me thinks that given how secretive Thorpe were in the plans, they wouldn't be so careless to reveal the meaning in one stray document. But then again, it's hard to argue it could be anything else at the moment really.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Did a quick google search, and found that "Whitechapel" was a British TV show back in '13 about a modern Jack the Ripper-style murder mystery. From what previous conversations say, it seems that Merlin loves out of date themes/IPs, so maybe we could be seeing a Jack the Ripper dark ride(in a sort)?

I'm probably wrong, but who knows? It's Merlin.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^The TV show was named after the area of London, where Jack the Ripper allegedly committed the Whitechapel murders. The TV show was about a modern copycat killer, but they could easily theme something to Victorian Whitechapel/Jack the Ripper without needing to touch the TV show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitechapel

Howie

Donkey in a hat

Interesting theory. I'd go along with that if it wasn't for one thing: Judging by the appearance of the buildings so far, I'd say the theme of this thing will be anything but Victorian.
When I was there last week, it looked as though some of the exterior walls were being furnished with polished, metal slats - very angular, very modern looking, possibly even futuristic. Far more Dr Who-ish than Jack the Ripper-ish.

Basically, I still have no figgin' idea.

Alex23

Roller Poster

Not quite sure the murder of prostitutes is a family theme.

If they are spending the rumoured 30-40 million I'd expect to see something more at this level

http://www.simworx.co.uk/rcx-robocoaster-g2/

Simworx worked with Merlin on Shrek and Angry Birds 4D, it would enable them to have a decent length high throughput ride in a smallish area and it would explain why the station is raised up like on Forbidden Journey.

shawnoc

Mega Poster

Howie said:
Interesting theory. I'd go along with that if it wasn't for one thing: Judging by the appearance of the buildings so far, I'd say the theme of this thing will be anything but Victorian.
When I was there last week, it looked as though some of the exterior walls were being furnished with polished, metal slats - very angular, very modern looking, possibly even futuristic. Far more Dr Who-ish than Jack the Ripper-ish.

Basically, I still have no figgin' idea.

If you look at any dark ride, any non public facing (backstage) buildings are clad in this way. It's a cheep way of building. Unfortunately with Thorpe, they are building this ride in the middle of the park. Even with the public facing part of the building being themed (hopefully well themed) you will still be able to see the tin shed. Unless they fence the area off and heavely plant as well it may look ok. At least it's the same colour as x.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Alex23 said:

If they are spending the rumoured 30-40 million I'd expect to see something more at this level

Simworx worked with Merlin on Shrek and Angry Birds 4D, it would enable them to have a decent length high throughput ride in a smallish area and it would explain why the station is raised up like on Forbidden Journey.
Nobody has said this will be family themed, nor have the park implied this will be a family ride.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Alex23

Roller Poster

With the direction the park is heading, it doesn't make sense for the first major investment to go against this new direction.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
Did a quick google search, and found that "Whitechapel" was a British TV show back in '13 about a modern Jack the Ripper-style murder mystery. From what previous conversations say, it seems that Merlin loves out of date themes/IPs, so maybe we could be seeing a Jack the Ripper dark ride(in a sort)?

I'm probably wrong, but who knows? It's Merlin.
There is no way this is based on a long-cancelled adult TV show. Apart from anything else, if it is Jack The Ripper themed only a complete idiot would actually pay someone for a licence as it's public domain. If Merlin were to go down that route they'd surely use their own Dungeon branding.

mouse

Giga Poster

I highly doubt it's themed around a generic and unknown tv show. Most people won't have heard of whitechapel, let alone Thorpe's general clientele.
A general Jack the Ripper theme could be more plausible, but tbh I can't see it happening in Thorpe and it doesn't link in with any of the 'minds wanted' stuff.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

owentaylor121 said:
Alex23 said:

Nobody has said this will be family themed, nor have the park implied this will be a family ride.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

No, but they have implied that the park is heading in a more family direction.

I know that it is unlikely that this will be a coaster, but didn't the Dynamic Attractions CEO say that there was a UK customer for an SFX coaster? Sorry to bring it up again, but if that's true, who else in the UK could be getting an SFX coaster apart from Thorpe?

Also, there is a new clue on the Mind Gap:

https://mindswanted.co.uk/

Does this mean a clue will be coming at 07:30, or 19:30? Or even at all?

Howie

Donkey in a hat

^Some interesting language being used on that link there:

"Thorpe Park will be shaking up the entertainment industry in 2016 with a new attraction that "promises to blow your mind".

Fairly bold statements, for sure.
I think it's also significant that so far, this has never been referred to as a 'ride', always an 'attraction'. Not quite sure how that is significant, I just think it is.

And then there's the opportunity to 'meet the maker of the attraction'. Quite unusual for a theme park, any theme park, to credit the making of an attraction to one person, which leads me to believe that that person is somebody of note. But who??
I can agree with everyone who says that 'Derren Brown: The Ride' would be a truly terrible idea...

BUT.... the man is definitely a genius, and if he has been involved in the conception and design of the 'attraction', I think this could indeed be something quite unique and surprising.

Maybe.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

At the moment, I'm about as excited for this as I was for the "I'm a Narcissistic Has-Been, Pretend I'm in a Jungle and Film Me" attraction.

That is, not much.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

The mindwanted website now has a stempunk-ey background.

Steampunk themed ride probably. So a Victorian Steampunk theme would actually be a very viable option now.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I'm interested in as much as 'Thorpe does a dark ride'. It's like a bunch of ice skaters in the desert - a completely ridiculous concept.

Whatever it is, I give it to 2017 before something breaks and they don't fix it or the number of actors are reduced and the whole atmosphere of the dark ride is ruined. Thorpe doesn't do maintenance and won't be able to cope with this.

<\Thursdaymorningpessimism>

mouse

Giga Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
The mindwanted website now has a stempunk-ey background.

Steampunk themed ride probably. So a Victorian Steampunk theme would actually be a very viable option now.
"Aw mate, I wanna go forpe, I saw they got dat new ride with interesting historical significance"

Not sure if it really suits the target market.

However the steampunk thing does look quite derren brown-esque.