What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Smithy

Strata Poster
Re: WC16 | Thorpe Park | New ??? for 2016

A Derren Brown themed dark ride sort of fits Thorpe Park to a tee tbh.

And that's not a compliment.

jj23w

Hyper Poster

His Uk tour stops off in Woking around the time of the start of the season. So if it's themed round him they could get him to open it.

spicy

Giga Poster

I really hope they go for an original theme and not Derren Brown. A lot of people don't like Derren Brown and you will be immediately alienating all of those people and not appealing to them. The budget for this is far too large to have an appeal like that. An original theme done well will appeal to a much wider audience.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Yeah, I really can't imagine spending £35 million on a ride themed around a minor celebrity.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

elephant58 said:
Yeah, I really can't imagine spending £35 million on a ride themed around a minor celebrity.

There are some really pedantic people on these forums who correct the smallest **** and I promise Im not one of them but I thought the budget was £30m? You may know better and if its £35m then thats an extra £5m which is still some pretty big **** money.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^Yeah, £30m has also been said. I could've picked either, but I picked that one. Still, £30m is far too much to be spending on Derren Brown.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

elephant58 said:
Still, £30m is far too much to be spending on Derren Brown.

I think you're probably right, he's fairly well known but he's no A lister with international appeal (this ride is going to need international appeal to be financially successful).

Universal would probably realise this but this is Merlin we're talking about. They are like the Nintendo of the theme park industry in the way they can do some stuff right but they often make bizarre and questionable decisions.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Ha keep in mind we're talking about Merlin here, they have a history on wasting money on stupid things.

I must admit I am sold on Lofty's prediction, seems extremely likely. I love Derren, I think he's brilliant! I must admit this prospect of a VR Derren Brown ride does have me rather excited. BUT it's a terrible idea for the park. I imagine it won't be very re-ridable, which is a bit of an issue, also it's going to be something that will need updating in a couple of years.

Ha also cjbrandy that comment about Merlin being Nintendo is just brilliant! Ha such a perfect comparison :lol:

Robbie

Hyper Poster

After the Smiler incident I'd be amazed anyone would want to put their name to a theme park ride. If anything goes wrong it'll be Derren Brown's mug plastered everywhere and his carefully-controlled reputation is trashed.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

I keep hearing the Derren Brown rumour, and it just sounds so...odd.

A ride with a general theme about literally playing with your mind and the like could be really cool if done properly. But I don't see how a ride could be "themed to" Derren. Beyond a pre show of him that he recorded, and maybe a couple of voiceovers during the ride (not too dissimilar to what Ant and Dec did for I'm a Celebrity), what else can realistically be done? Sure, the ride could have scenes where he appears on screen and does tricks and the like, with a couple of 4D effects thrown in, but it doesn't exactly sound much more exciting than watching him on TV. Maybe it's because I haven't done many dark rides to know what exactly could be done, but I just don't see a ride themed in any way to Derren working out.

I could see some sort of partnership where his name gets chucked about in marketing and on the park's map ("Introduced _____, the ride designed with help from famous illusionist Derren Brown" for example), but anything beyond that just sounds so odd and unworkable to me!

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

Is it even confirmed that there is an IP attached to this? Or could it still be a new original theme?

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

It would be highly surprising if it weren't an IP. Sure the smiler was a successful merlin IP, but that was a coaster not a Dark Ride. Dark Rides rely much more on the theme working, so they likely wouldn't want to risk another Sub Terra and will use an IP. Not saying it's confirmed, it's just extremely likely.

Yeah the more we see this is looking more and more like Derren Brown. The visuals are highly reminiscent of his previous work, especially his Svengali tour. I am totally placing my bet in on Derren Brown. Weird choice, don't think it will work all that well with the public, but I love Derren. He's amazing, and I am sure I will actually enjoy the ride now!

Just saying, just because it's looking like it's Derren Brown doesn't necessarily mean it's anything more than "... in collaberation with Derren Brown" It still could be a new IP, just created alongside Derren Brown. The possibilities are endless.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^Doctor Who is just as similar to what we've seen so far and I think for £30 million, would be a safer bet.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

elephant58 said:
^Doctor Who is just as similar to what we've seen so far and I think for £30 million, would be a safer bet.
To be honest now we've seen a brain it just appears to adult for Dr Who. It would be a safer bet for £30 million, but since when have Thorpe gone for safe bets? I can totally see where you're coming from, but to me this is screaming out Derren. The whole thing just looks so him :--D

It's also worth noting the website has been updated significantly, and there's a quote that would appear to suggest the Derren Brown theory is correct. "You and three friends will attend the exclusive launch night next year, followed by a stay over at the THORPE SHARK Hotel, free food and drink, four annual passes and a chance to meet the maker of the new attraction."

Now that suggests to me the maker will play a key role in the attraction. It's not like they've done this with Wardley before, and it's not as if the general public would really want to meet the maker of the attraction unless they were a celebrity. Sounds like Derren to me!

vaugc002

Hyper Poster

Just to reiterate with what everyone else is saying... PLEASE DON'T BE DERREN BROWN - THE RIDE etc
He's awesome but not thirty million pounds awesome.

And that trailer, as well as being a bit cheap, definitely leans towards mind games and DB...

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Who the **** is Derren Brown...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk