What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokerman

Giga Poster
If you look at the billboards at Alton, the emphasis seems to be on the word Demon. This could be why they've changed it back on RCDB.

Of course, it could be that the photos I've seen are not complete.

#pmbo

Roller Poster
:lol: ^^ That's brilliant... :lol:.
I always thought it was slightly dodgy to 'name' the coaster on the database without knowing for sure that it's actually called that :lol:.
Any pic updates? :(

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Surrender doesn't even sound like a name...

The text is enlarged to draw you to that part of the poster. It has the "opening in 2010" under it. The park would want the public to know that. Probally the most important piece of infomation on it.

They have highlighted "Demon" and "Dark Forest". Small "of the". This sound more of a tag line to me, just reading it. Just like "Queen of Speed".

I don't actually believe the name is released. Going by the time of year (with Scarefest) and the fact they haven't released infomation on the ride yet aswell. I think it will all be kept quiet untill its necessary to get the word out. Like early next year.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
^Does 6F / CF have any sort of trademark on the "Demon" name? I'm sure that Marriott did when they built it, but I don't know about the post-sale legal issues.

andrus

Giga Poster
The floorless B&M at Tivoli gardens is also called the Demon, although I doubt they have a trademark on it... But Demon is just such a boring name, no imagination at all and already used multiple times...

neo

Mega Poster
Rumour has it that the lift was topped off recently, pictures will come soon I’m sure, but for now here’s a pre-recently gallery of construction pictures from the Altonator:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N00/

Regarding name possibilities, what about Omen? The O on the posters was underlined, but it could be tricky trying to avoid relation with the Richard Doner films and remake. Alternatively, what about Daemn? It’s the Latin equivalent of Demon (meaning spirit) and it perhaps leaves it more open to interpretation.

Finally, I think visitors could potentially be asking themselves “what’s the difference between the Dark Forest and the Gloomy Wood?” next year (if Ug-Land is re-themed). The obvious answer is roller coasters of course, but in my opinion SW6 with its derelict church appearance would be better suited to the Gloomy Wood. It would certainly go along with Duel’s storyline of Zombies, providing a graveyard for corpses. But alas space would’ve been an issue in the Gloomy Wood and the corkscrew needed replacement. However now (if the Dark Forest rumours are true) it just feels like we’re getting more of the same.

Getting rid of Ug-land decreases the diversity of themes at Alton Towers and if the Dark Forest re-theme is true, I can see myself wanting a bit more variety from Alton Towers next year.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I reckon the "Dark Forest" will only be related to the coaster in general, I can actually see Ug Land keeping the majority of the theming because I really like the prehistoric look, and I doubt that SW6 will look that much out of place amongst it. It's similar to what they did with AIR, Forbidden Valley is a very bizarre, alienated, creepy landscape then you have bright blue elegant Flying Coaster in the background. It looks quite unique to me!

What I'm expecting to happen is that Ug Land will be re-named to "Thunder Rock", (the word thunder emphasizes the fact that part of it is horror related, hence SW6 and the dark forest. Rock on the other hand will be an excuse to keep most of the theming in the area, so Rita doesn't look out of place either. Rita is themed around "Thunder Rock Rally" after all.. Coincedence?)

I doubt they'll do anything to Rita apart from maybe change a bit of the soundtrack to include some eerie sounds and somehow advertise SW6, so that people go on it. If necessary, repainting some of the supports to a grey-ish colour may help Rita fit in with the castle like theming, but all in all, Alton will not change the trains, remove that massive tyre for the entrance and re-theme the queue for a coaster which is still fairly new.

For the name of the ride, I'm expecting Alton to come up with a "name" for this demon, like they named Rita what it is but not as ridiculous. Omen sounds fine but I "can't" see it happening for some reason, and that "Daemn" sounds a bit too corny. I guarantee if we think of some really evil and dark names for a demon, we will not match it up to what Alton would have for a finishing result.

Rach

Giga Poster
DSC01961.jpg

Photo curtosey of Barryzola on TTF!

Lots more here
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 24#p483924

Tomatron

Giga Poster
I like the look of that! I'm getting quite excited about this now, loads has come on since I was there a few weeks ago.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
Looks nice. Although those corners look too wide and may not have much speed around them.

On the contrary, if they are THAT wide it's because that element might be taken at a decent speed.

Slash

Giga Poster
A coaster that is not being criticised for being made! Well done CF!

Oh wait its from Alton.

Saying that I do believe this coaster looks like some good fun, family fun mind you, but fun all the same. I get the idea but how can they make a family coaster themed in a scary manner? Im wondering whether this will be pulled off well is my worry. That the themeing won't work with the intensity of the coaster or vice versa, anyone else think this?

jokerman

Giga Poster
I would have thought that the haunted houses at Disney fell into that category. So perhaps not ride, but coaster. That would be a rubbish first.

Status
Not open for further replies.