What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

.:Matt:.

Roller Poster
I agree to be honest. It not that bad, and I don't see Alton's bad name choices.

Rita was a good decision IMO. Everyone knows it and its a very strong brand.

Ollie

CF Legend
Surrender doesn't sound like the name of something. It just sounds like it's telling you to do something.

Kebab

Giga Poster
.:Matt:. said:
Rita was a good decision IMO. Everyone knows it and its a very strong brand.
If you think back to when the coaster first opened... Alton Towers has confirmed an Intamin Launch coaster; taking the theme of a race car, it is going to be called Rita. When I first thought about that name I pictured elderly characters found in soap operas, now when I hear it I think of the rollercoaster itself. It has grown on people; but it was and still is a stupid name.

It's like calling Oblivion "Don't look down - Audrey", or calling Nemesis Dorothy. It's insane! I could understand if it was a joke, but on serious terms it's ridiculous. Alton Towers has humiliated a thrill ride aimed at teenagers - adults, by calling it an old womans name. At least give it a more "sexier" name like Cheryl Cole or Hayden Panettiere: Queen of speed.

Back on the subject, I wouldn't be disappointed if they did end up calling SW6 "Surrender", if it relates to the experience then it's perfectly suitable. I don't have any idea what the finished product is going to be, but from Alton it will most likely to be very original and unique! It would be cool to make the rollercoaster trigger certain things to pop-up mid ride, such as animatronics etc.

It's not going to be the most intense coaster in the world, but something on the lines of Big Thunder Mountain, great for kids but still manages to thrill, combined with a clever layout and theme.

I got high hopes for "Surrender", I'm glad the hype is kept minimum for this one unlike a certain coaster called Saw which was spammed with youtube trailers etc. It was good, yet the final creation didn't fully impress as expected.

Roll on March 2010! :p

jokerman

Giga Poster
^Yeah, roll on March when, inevitably, I won't get the chance to ride this thing.

I agree that Rita is a strange name, but only because its a real name. This isn't a living thing this ride, so it needn't have a proper noun as a name. If the name captures the spirit or essence of the ride, then it has done its job perfectly.

Kebab

Giga Poster
^Hopefully I'll go with my college on a trip dependant on a poll: "Where do you want to go next spring?". Annoyingly Drayton Manor has more votes than both Alton and Thorpe! =|

bob_3_

Giga Poster
If you think back to when the coaster first opened... Alton Towers has confirmed an Intamin Launch coaster; taking the theme of a race car, it is going to be called Rita. When I first thought about that name I pictured elderly characters found in soap operas, now when I hear it I think of the rollercoaster itself. It has grown on people; but it was and still is a stupid name.

It's like calling Oblivion "Don't look down - Audrey", or calling Nemesis Dorothy. It's insane! I could understand if it was a joke, but on serious terms it's ridiculous. Alton Towers has humiliated a thrill ride aimed at teenagers - adults, by calling it an old womans name. At least give it a more "sexier" name like Cheryl Cole or Hayden Panettiere: Queen of speed.

Oh come on, get a sense of humor. Alton Towers has always been playful with their PR, and naming a ride is part of the PR. Name it something amusing and memorable, the brand sells and word gets round. Rita was never a seriously themed ride. The playful nature of the ride and the possible innuendo suited the area perfectly, got the word out and made it a popular ride.

Naming Rita was far from stupid, it was thought out and worked. In fact I'll be surprised if the name gets changed for next year.

Now about this ride. I'm completely stumped. The posters to me say "surrender in 2010" instead of "ride surrender in 2010". I don't think it's the name, it's not crazy enough to give it publicity, and it has nothing to do with the theme.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Rita isn't that bad, you should stop watching morbid soaps.
Saying that, Surrender just doesn't sound appealling to me... neither would Demon {if that was the name}, that's just common.

DDF14

Mega Poster
Hey Guys

Been a while since I have posted anything but I am a ECC member and a former ride engineer. Reason for me leaving all this was a change of career which involves lots of travel and so have been missing for a few years.

Anyway I have been reading the last week and well Alton has got my attention and enthusiasm back as well as you guys with this being such a tough to predict project. So my 10 pence worth....
Name – Surrender (If it is) I am happy with that but understand peoples frustration with it.
Marketing/Theme – Intriguing and mysterious which is perfect and I am wishing for the best I do hope Mr Wardley and team has been given some real freedom and a decent budget to create what we all expect. A return to the good old days.

Would like to through a few things out there for thought, has anyone seen the Reeper coaster inside the Amsterdam dungeons, I have been on this ride on a tour of Holland and even though it was small packed a great punch but obviously it is more its theme and ride design that I draw more similarities too this project, plus I imagine Mr Wardley and the team have seen and rode this ride which may have given some inspiration including the pre-show and ride show projections. Im not saying that they will be similar of course not but elements could be drawn from it.

Also I hope we will see the return of Mr Wardley's smell themeing. A la HEX the smells he designed for that were excellent as well as the Bubbleworks. I think with this being a dark ride and having an indoor section / show also being Secret Weapon project the smell design would add so much to the experience. When we lose a sense the others become more intense so in the dark our sense of smell and hearing will be taking over, so I hope John and the team come up with another unique smell and soundtrack that drive the experience on and make this ride stand out.

The layout so far looks outstanding and yet still so secret, on a personal level a massive thanks to all the guys who share and upload photos so I can keep up with the project you have had a hand in getting me back into this wonderful community.

Anyways thanks very much and feel free to rip me apart ha ha !

DD

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Firstly I'll say woo for page 100, not even Halloween and we're there, here's to another 99 pages of crap and 1 page of updates ;)

I doubt the same will actually be surrender, more a tag-line than anything...

Looks decent so far, wish they hadn't started on the indoor start and end track now though so we wouldn't have to listen to people go on about 'oh the angle is this' rubbish, I mean we're also talking about kicker wheels? What the hell? I don't think even the Stealth or Saw topics got that boring that we talked about the lift hill (partly cos one doesn't have one and the other was obvious as well, but that's not the point)...

Sigh, maybe I'm just being cynical and find this topic annoying 99% of the time, cos I have to trawl through a few pages of stuff to find the update of a picture or if we're lucky 2 pictures...

nealbie

CF Legend
Oh huzzah, 100 pages..... :roll: (I understand this is not helping, but still ;) )

Still looking good, still holding out for the werewolf/magical transformation theme. It also makes sense for the way the ride is designed. Perhaps finally giving in to whatever the "world's first" is at the end being the completion of the adventure. I dunno, I like mildly logical speculation, as opposed to blaze speculation which is just silly and nonsensical.....

Martyn B

CF Legend
DanzibarDrums said:
Martyn B said:
DSC_7462.jpg

As has been said before, there are no kicker wheels at the top of that lift, so I get the impression that the train will go up there reasonably quick.

In the same way that Vekoma junior coasters must fly up the lift? :p

http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p3338.jpg

Yeah I see what you mean, but them coasters actually go down hill after the lift, where as this is near on flat.

And the lifts on them are actually quite fast :p

On another note, I was under the impression that the track would enter the building from the side, but that picture on the other page shows otherwise.

Brookes

Giga Poster
Why does everyone keep going on about if the name is going to be Surrender? I think the sign is just something to interest people about the ride, not to reveal the name. Like when it said ride into the Unknown, some people thought Unknown would be the name, it's stupid.

Onto the ride I think it is looking great and the bit in the woods look fantastic from Rita and lookes really fun. I am looking forward to riding this on opening day next year!

#pmbo

Roller Poster
Aye, 100 pages :lol:.
I don't mind having to wade through all this speculation, mostly because I like it :lol:.
I'm liking the look of the track that has been constructed. I'm slightly confused as to what everyone's saying about the angles of the switchback section... I s'pose I'm also confused about how it's going to work looking at the photos... Anyone care to explain? Please?
As to the name, I'm sure you're going to get people who love the name and people who hate the name. It's just a range of personalilties.
I personally think that surrender isn't the name. I don't think the name would be released before halloween, or maybe that's the date it will be released?

Martyn B

CF Legend
With regards to the 100 pages, I think its a case of their beig 2 sides to the coin.

On one hand there's been alot of good discussions regarding this coaster, after all, it is a very secretive coaster.

Yet on the other hand it can be very frustrating for people who just want an update on the construction. I experienced this myself with the Saw topic. But I think on the hole, the discussions in here have been pretty healthy, with not much spam to be found.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Go on then, I'll stick my twopence worth in...

The name is blatantly Surrender. Sorry.

1) The font is the biggest on the poster (along with Dark Forest, which is probably the name of the area)

2) It fills the poster from left to right. After the image, it's the most eye-catching part of the poster. Look at it from a distance: the image is the first thing you notice, then your eyes are naturally drawn to "SURRENDER." People who design these kind of posters are paid to think of these things.

3) "in 2010" is tiny in comparison; the whole composition of it doesn't suggest a slogan at all. Look at posters for new rides in the past. They use the same techinique: Ride name in big letters followed by "coming in ...." much smaller underneath

4) Not really bothered either way; it's just the way I "read" the poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.