What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
3979979869_d0e841dbc7.jpg

So does this show that the track is going to drop and then maybe launched/pushed backwards?

Dave

CF Legend
This is when Blaze smugly tells us he told us so and so will thousands of others. I can't wait till this ride opens and this topic closes.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Brookes said:
^It can't be for the lift because it goes down then up with the tyres and it doesn't go down at the start of the lift.

Wait. What?

If I'm reading this right, it can't be launched because the track goes down before the lift?

Um, Volcano uses a rolling LSM launch. It rolls into the launch by gravity and is boosted when it is lined up with the rotors/stators.

A

Anonymous

^ Well there is nothing, that I'm aware of, that points towards any other propulsion method then kicker wheels. Especially with the track pieces that are very similar (identical) to the lift on Mine Train Ulven, and seeing that it's probably the same kind of model then it would also point toward not having any launch other then that from the kicker wheels.

Martyn B

CF Legend
3988400728_14ef360560.jpg

By looking at that pic I get the feeling there will be tyre's to help you up there.

If it was just the momentum of the train to get it up there, there would need to be some banking on the turn as the front would have to go pretty quick to ensure the rest of the train would make it. If that makes sense!!

nealbie

CF Legend
Unless that's the level off and the banking is before then. But you are most likely making the correct assumptions :p

Brookes

Giga Poster
rollermonkey said:
Brookes said:
^It can't be for the lift because it goes down then up with the tyres and it doesn't go down at the start of the lift.

Wait. What?

If I'm reading this right, it can't be launched because the track goes down before the lift?

Um, Volcano uses a rolling LSM launch. It rolls into the launch by gravity and is boosted when it is lined up with the rotors/stators.

No no, you've not unterstood. Blaze said the piece of track what goes down then up into the kicker wheels would be for the bottom of the lift. But at the start of the lift, it doesn't go down then go up so that piece could not be for the lift hill. It goes up to the lift but there isn't a drop down immediately before it.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Transfer track.

Kicker wheel lift will make it quieter and faster, but sadly, when I look at one, I think kiddie coaster. I know Hulk uses them, but thats just the stigma they carry.

Not sure if that track will have wheels or not. It is unbanked which suggests it will be fairly slow, but the drop out of the station is unbanked and will probably be the same sort of speed. They won't want it stalling there so there could be a wheel system there to make sure it does, for example Knightmare has a couple of wheels before the first MCBR and Psycho drop.

If you look at this image from Rob at TT, you can see mounting points on the supports, next to the track:
SW6diagramthing.jpg

What will go there? I expect it will be for some kind of device for something, or maybe even a bit of theming, not track.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
That is probably most likely, especialy if the building is an empty shell there and would not take the weight of people if they had to get off or if staff/construction workers had to get up there.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
RobJackson85 said:
http://s693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/garyholc/?action=view&current=Image0072.jpg

Looking at this picture posted by garyholc on Towers Almanac it almost confirms that the climb into the building (coming out the woods) will be aided by kick wheels. You can see the motors below the track (look around the lower crane)

Oh yes, I see them. Well, I thought it might need some sort of transport to get up there as the full height of the coaster isn't much higher than what we see there, and it'll lose quite a lot of momentum going around the forest section.

marc

CF Legend
I have one main concern at the moment, and that is this coaster could be very stop start. In most themed coasters the story part is done before the main coaster section, this coaster looks the other way round.

Now if the theming is done well i.e the Mummy level of theming it will be good. But if they use the Saw style theming it wont be.

Anyway they are my main concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.