What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie

CF Legend
Also don't forgot on those posters doesn't the track look like one of those crazy mine trains you see in films/cartoons?
So it may be possible for Alton to have an engine on the front of the train.
But then it would seem weird having two mine trains in the same park.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Martyn B said:
I really hope that they change the train type from the standard Mine train one, since it will look too much the same as the Runaway Mine Train theme...
I doubt it very much that Alton have been given the standard Mine Train 'train' for this coaster.

Looking at the artwork for this; it will be far from a "mine train" theme; looks to be rather dark and related to the towers. Probably a slightly horror themed family coaster, on the calibre of "Duel" for theming?

Could be a "ghost train", if you get me.

#pmbo

Roller Poster
I remember rumours/ideas that it would be themed on the chained oak. It still looks feasable from the artwork... Does anyone still have that idea?

Kebab

Giga Poster
#pmbo said:
I remember rumours/ideas that it would be themed on the chained oak. It still looks feasable from the artwork... Does anyone still have that idea?

I hope they keep to a "horror-style" theme; I really liked how Saw was done encorporating fear within the queue. It will be pretty immense if they themed the building around a castle, with lots of flashing to show lightning and eerie noises. Scare little kiddies :)

They won't go as far as something of the calibre of Duel or Disney's Phantom Manor family-wise, which will be good enough!

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
So we're thinking it's a family coaster, yet the artwork and the fact that it has a world's first clearly suggests it's going to be more than just that, so it'll be interesting to see what comes of it and which age group Alton are actually going to aim it at.
I personally love any well themed ride, and from the plans it looks like we're in for a treat.

WuTang2k2

Roller Poster
It's safe to say that they're going for a very similar experience to Expedition Everest; a family coaster with a secret surprise element. The worlds first doesn't mean it wont be family orientated. The main difference though is the haunted theme, but it certainly doesn't put it anywhere near the same league as Nemesis or Oblivion.

I'm quite happy they're going in this direction, it appeals to more people and is about the experience rather than just intensity, they're trying to give us the whole package - and thats what I think Alton should be all about!

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Excuse me if this is just a really stupid comment ^_^

But couldn't the apparent lift segment which was shown earlier just as likely be a station segment?

WuTang2k2

Roller Poster
That question has been asked before but the general opinion is that it has far too many wheels concentrated in a short space for just a simple station or break run - so it is almost certainly for a lift hill.

What I don't get is - why does it matter what sort of lift hill it has? One thing that does stand out is that Intamin only use those sort of kicker wheels on their family coasters anyway, so it almost certainly will have a tire driven lift. You'll notice that they use single 'tires' as kicker wheels on most other coasters - including Mega Lites.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
Jeez do people need to calm down...

So what if it's not intense? It doesn't need to be, there are plenty of awesome rides that aren't intense but fun... And hopefully that's the category this one will be in...

Hopefully not.

#pmbo

Roller Poster
Why don't you want this coaster to fit in that category? I think it would be a good move for Alton, they've got enough thrill rides... Haven't they?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
As for Rita train swap... perhaps it's just that?

Imagine Alton ordering a new set of trains for the coaster. Now, what if a park somewhere has just bought a Rita clone, or at least a racing themed accelerator with roughly the same specs. Could it be possible that Alton is trading away its trains?
The park with the new coaster wins on it, as it's cheaper to get a second hand (but fully functional) train.
Intamin wins for the exact same reason.
But Alton loses on it as opposed to just retheming it. This is the scenario's weak point. It's unlikely that Alton would swap trains just for the sake of a retheme.
It all boils down to a question of what was sighted at the motorway. Had we known... well, no problem.

#pmbo

Roller Poster
Pokemaniac said:
As for Rita train swap... perhaps it's just that?

Imagine Alton ordering a new set of trains for the coaster. Now, what if a park somewhere has just bought a Rita clone, or at least a racing themed accelerator with roughly the same specs. Could it be possible that Alton is trading away its trains?
The park with the new coaster wins on it, as it's cheaper to get a second hand (but fully functional) train.
Intamin wins for the exact same reason.
But Alton loses on it as opposed to just retheming it. This is the scenario's weak point. It's unlikely that Alton would swap trains just for the sake of a retheme.
It all boils down to a question of what was sighted at the motorway. Had we known... well, no problem.
You raise an interesting question :wink:
I agree, Alton Towers want to keep the cost down, so buying new trains just for that is a bit of a waste.
The intamin trains could well be for SW6, they may already be there but no-one knows. If the world's first is on the train, then they'd want to keep that more of a secret than the track? Or would they request that intamin would actually cover up the trains during transportation...

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Dont see much in the rumour, it came along a very long time ago, and there was no proof. Said themselves it might not have been Intamin trains.

Dont see why they would buy new Rita ones when the theming on them is fibreglass snap-on pieces, unless they plan something dramatic for it.

That Baken Mine Train looks very good, and we seems to be getting a bigger, badder version!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Coaster-Fiend said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
Jeez do people need to calm down...

So what if it's not intense? It doesn't need to be, there are plenty of awesome rides that aren't intense but fun... And hopefully that's the category this one will be in...

Hopefully not.

To just say hopefully not without explaining your reason doesn't make it a solid reason...

Why do Alton need another coaster on the intensity scale of Nemmie or Oblivion? It needs another 1.2m coaster to bridge the gap that is between Spinball and the B&Ms/Rita...

And fun coasters can be better than intense coasters in some cases...

Blaze

Hyper Poster
True. They have 3 big rides, 4 if you count Rita, but only two coasters for all ages and a baby coaster. Another family ride balances it out.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
This ride is already very similar to Saw in concept. A ride which has a coastery bit... but also does something else. Two rides in one. How Merlin can be so sure of themselves so early is beyond me, though. Surely a better strategy is try something and see how it goes before doing it again? Still, my only worry is that Saw is the evidence that rides like this are difficult to pull off right, and only the masters such as Disney and Universal have any that are any good. The coaster bit doesn't have to be good, it can happily take a back seat. The problem with Saw was the coaster element was a HUGE part of the ride seemingly just stuck onto a very decent start.

I might be wrong, but it looks to me like they've made the same "mistake" here. The outdoors section will vastly different to the indoors section and the two will clash. What I'm hoping is that the outdoors section is half decent, and doesn't leave you forgetting about the good elements of the ride, like with Saw.

I think this progression is going in the right direction as far as Alton is concerned. Alton Towers is a family resort and a family resort is the sort of place you expect to find these sort of "experience" coasters and thus get the audience that are more likely to appreciate the effort.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
But the thing is, why would Merlin see Saw as a failing concept?
Everybody aside from the coaster community seems to arselick Saw. Surely Merlin must think they've got a good, solid ride out of that?

To us, it's a crappy Eurofighter, with crap theme blah blah. The truth is it's only a crap theme to us because we're comparing it to every single ride we think is themed good. Obviously in that circumstance it looks crap, but to the rest of the market, who have hopefully watched Saw they would forever talk about how "it has a warehouse" and "oh my gosh there was that trap" blah.

Merlin probably thought of SW6 before Saw, so Saw could have been the green light to actually execute SW6 the way they wanted it.
Besides, at least we're not looking at another Eurofighter.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I don't see why they need to re-theme Rita? After all they could easily get away with a castle there as part of "Thunder Rock Rally/ Valley", think about the name here. "Thunder" represents horror in a portion, so if the exterior can somehow fit in with Rita's racing theme slightly; I can't see a re-theme for Rita.

marc

CF Legend
I think the only reason people want Alton to get more big thrill rides is due to the fact the ones they have are so old.

Lets face it the last really big ride to go in at Alton was Air and thats not really thrilling, so we have to go all the way back to Oblivian.

Me personally I hate Air and dont ride it, so big thrill rides for me at Alton are Nemesis and Oblivian are they worth the fuel there and entrence nope as I have done them to many times. I actually went to Alton more times before joining CF, I used to go every year with family and then when I could drive from the age of 12 to 30.

Thats just my selfish point of view.

The new coaster, if it gives air time and has some speed will be ok. For me I do not need inverts to make a coaster thrillling. It is all going to depend how Alton pull this off, but again its just the station that is themed so I dont count this as a fully themed coaster.

If they do a Saw and make it look cheap I will be upset, but the public will probably love it and at the end of the day thats what counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.