What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Ollie said:
Myk. That was posted a couple of days ago. :p

apologies, i dont usually read every page when topic gets this big i just normally read the first and last pages so far.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Myk said:
Apparently it's a B&M,
Rita is being repainted next season,
and a new intamin coaster is also opening in 2010 in the black hole tent.

Posted a few pages ago - generally disregarded as crap pretty quickly :)

neo

Mega Poster
furie said:
Mack seem to have two styles of eMotion coaster track (looking on their website), but pictures are very limited.

The thing is, with Intamin and Gerstlauer, what kind of ride type are they? It's not a mega-lite, as it's not going fast enough. It's unlikely to be a Eurofighter as there is no vertical lift, and no inversions.

So something new, or a mix maybe?

Judging by the plans, along with that long since removed leaked concept art, I suspect they’re going for the world’s first entirely backwards tilt track. Indeed the track exiting the station would flow very well from such an element. In which case, the rolling stock only need be a suitably sized sit-down train, making this a family roller coaster; something that the corkscrew became.

So realistically I think the strongest possibility for a ride type is something like this:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig1457.htm?picture=3

But of course it could be anything in reality. Gerstlauer, Intamin or Mack, either way this certainly looks to be a new or extensively developed ride type.

Ollie

CF Legend
Does anyone know where I can still have another look at the concept artwork that was posted but taken down on Towerstimes?

Ben

CF Legend
coasterdude_1 said:
UC said:
I GUARANTEE that this ride is not a mega-lite, and those who think it is really don't have a clue when it comes to coaster types.

That insult at the end of the sentence was totally unnessecary.

Don't worry, he's just trying to bait me. Which won't work.

Of course, since we've only seen one layout for MLs there isn't ANYTHING to suggest they can't evolve. The name just says it's a Mega coaster... but... small. I mean, if they stuck a lift hill on Rita where the launch is, what would it be? I'd call it a ML. It would be a Mega coaster, essentially, but, a baby one. Take an example, an SLC meant the standard clone until a few years back, when other models appeared. They're still SLCs, aren't they? Just because they aren't the clone means nothing. Who is to say the same thing won't happen with MLs and that the "originals" we've already seen won't come to be known as "Mega-Lite, standard clone" compared to "Mega-Lite, custom" in a few years? Assuming the type can't evolve is a very blinkered view.

And of course, since we have only seen one layout there is NOTHING to suggest Intamin wouldn't do something as quite frankly, simple, as moving track somewhere in a layout. People seem to forget this is INTAMIN we're talking about here. They're a VERY innovative company, and there is very little their CV DOESN'T extend to. Who's to say we WON'T see technology from any of the hundreds of flat rides used on a coaster? I mean, they JUST opened a brand new lift type, and you're trying to tell me they couldn't meet a challenge made to them? Tosh.

I think a lot of people need an imagination tune-up. I'm not talking things that are unrealistic and impossible (B&M), but, things that might just need a change to a ride-type or a bit of innovation to achieve. And from the company that broke 300ft and 400ft (in two different ways, I might add), and yet have still built Bobsleds, Kiddie Coasters, 97degree drops, drop towers and even River Rapids on an opposite end of the scale, is a little bit of innovation too much to ask? We've seen it from Intamin from the second they started to build rides, if anyone can give me a decent explanation as to why they'd have given up now, I'd appreciate it.

Ben

CF Legend
UC said:
So is Fahrenheit the same type of coaster as Maverick, just with a vertical lift instead of a launch?

... well... yes. Fluch's launch makes it no less of a Eurofighter, does it?

Is Italian Job the same type of coaster as an LIM bowl, just without inversions?

Well, no, but, more because they're designed with different tracks.

Is a Tilt Coaster a conventional looper with a different first drop?

... yes

At what point do you cease to call a ride one thing, and begin to call it its own type?

And the point they're actually vastly different? Going backwards is even LESS of a difference than those examples you've cited. Is Everest no longer a large Vekoma Mine Train?

A backwards section is a very significant jump from a conventional layout. It's not as if the coaster is just a different layout of a small ride. This prevents it from being a ML. This ride has been all but confirmed to have a backwards section, yes?

Yes. But, it does not in any way stop it being a ML. Take off those blinkers. Why could this not be an evolution in the same way Everest was for Mine Trains.

This isn't a case of being very narrow-minded on the subject. This is a case of a coaster that will have significantly different elements to accepted rides of a particular type.

What's Hulk? No longer a B&M looper? See, you're very comfortable pulling out the examples where the ride type is a bit iffy anyway, but, you then just ignore the examples with special elements that are still the same ride type. California Screamin' is Indiana Jones. Just on a MUCH larger scale. With a launch.

This is ESPECIALLY true of Intamin, who seem to name each COASTER a different type - which is why you have Gigas, Megas, and ML's all classified as different coasters despite each one relying on what is essentially the same ride system.

They're classified slightly differently, but, that doesn't stop them being essentially the same thing. And since we don't have a ride type name yet (assuming it IS a new ride type)... WHY NOT HIGHLIGHT WHAT I MEAN WITH THE CLOSEST WE DO HAVE?

I guarantee that if this ride is from Intamin, it will not be called a Mega-Lite. And as such, it will be no more a Mega-Lite than Fahrenheit is a Blitzcoaster without a launch.

No, it probably wouldn't be. BUT, that doesn't mean we can't say it "could be a ML with a backwards launch" and less than it was perfectly fine to say Fahrenheit was going to be a "Blitzcoaster without a launch". You're trying to write rules where there aren't any. You're trying to definitely categorise things that we don't have a definition for. Why NOT apply the closest term we have to it?

This isn't a case of being narrow-minded, Ben, it's a case of realizing the differences in coaster types. If we want to go by your train of thought, we might as well just have one type called "Ultra Coaster" and every other coaster type is just a variation of this "Ultra Coaster."

Well, replace "Ultra" with "Roller"... and everything IS just a variation of "Roller Coaster". So, well done, you're point you tried to make seem stupid... did actually apply.

Of course, you're going to probably shy away from responding, thinking I'm "baiting" you, as an excuse to not have to respond. Your choice.

Well, you are. You just can't help yourself. I'm tired of it, and so are others. Hence, this is the last I'm going to say on the matter. You have a problem that you simply can not listen to other people. You just seize up and go "YOU ARE WRONG. I DON'T HAVE A REAL REASON WHY YOU ARE YOU JUST AAAARRRREEE!", and the act's getting old. I don't reply to you're baits any more (which you have been leaving around the forums, and I have noticed them, don't think I haven't) because it's pointless and irritating for everyone involved. If you have ANY thing you would like to say to me, do it in PMs. I'm sick of you clogging up forums with your personal problems with me. Get over it, and start posting like someone your own age.

A

Anonymous

Ben, i think the original insult that started this was in direct response to me championing sw6 as mega-lite.
I understood what he was saying and thought that if he wanted to split hairs i wouldn't bother responding. I think you've both got valid points but are just never going to see eye to eye on pretty much anything.

marc

CF Legend
If people read what I said about 2 pages ago going backwards on a track that tilts has been done already so this is not new. Winjers if you sit in the back of the train at the station you go backwards down the hill after being tilted. So I for one wont call this a worlds 1st if thats all it does, and I dont care if they say its everyone going backwards its simply not new.

Thats my view on it anyway.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Yes but in Winjas is was a See-saw. Not a fully stop, track tilts back to vertical, train releases.
It's similar but not the same.
It still may be just the whole track that drops horizontally.

A

Anonymous

I personally don't think the worlds first has to be an original part of the track. It could be special fx that add to the ride experiance. If this was mixed with a coaster feature that has already been done before, then they would surely be able to convince the gp that it was a worlds first.

A

Anonymous

I agree, but a thousand people on an enthusiast site are not the people who Alton are going to spend their marketing money on. The gp didn't realise air wasn't a world first, why would this be anything different?

RobJackson85

Roller Poster
If CP can claim the twisted horse shoe roll on Maverick is a worlds first then anything can be done, after all that is just a corkscrew into turn into another corkscrew is it not?

This could just be the worlds first vertical lift system into backwards section!

Hopefully not though, I do hope this worlds first part is something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.