What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I can't attach a link as i've not been a member long enough. But if you search Kawesemi POV @ tobu zoo park on youtube, it's an intamin mega lite where the whole opening section seems to be a carbon copy of sw6.

Dave

CF Legend
Or more the other way around? As the Mega-Lite's have been around for longer.
The first section yes granted could be similar, gives nice sustained forces, similar to Nemesis helix.

A

Anonymous

Sorry that's what i meant. Just seeing that made me think of Ben and UC arguing for about 5 pages about the plausabilty of sw6 being an intamin meg lite. At the time UC had me convinced but now i'd have to say the front section seems to match up with the plans weve seen, and my money is on a mega lite.

Dave

CF Legend
Well Im still keeping an open eye because of the tri-track. See because no manufacturer is confirmed you can only speculate, and by speculate means someone has to be silly and mention B&M and Intamin, because clearly Merlin love them :p

A

Anonymous

My original thought was that it would be a Premier, mainly due to the switchbacks/possible turn-table inside. They're tried & tested in this area.
But if sw6's front section is anything like Kawesemi, twinned with the supposed worlds 1st, i think we'll have a ride that might live up to it's sw tag.

A

Anonymous

Ok, I see what you mean about the mega lite thing. However, is there anything you know that says intamin couldn't develop a coaster incorparating certain characteristics of a mega lite; amalgamate them with a few new features ie switch backs, and list it as a different coaster? Not stating an opinion there, just asking a question.
Also uc, what's your opinion on that mega lite video? Do you think it's just a coincidence that it seems to match the layout(at least the begining) of the sw6 plans? (that's a genuine question by the way, I'm not trying to be sarcastic)
If this seems poorly put together I'm sorry, just on the bus using an iPhone and it's not the easiest thing to do.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster
UC said:
I GUARANTEE that this ride is not a mega-lite, and those who think it is really don't have a clue when it comes to coaster types.

That insult at the end of the sentence was totally unnessecary.

Besides, until the coaster is built and Intamin name the new ride type, you can hardly be suprised when people compare the layout to the next nearest thing?

I've forgotten where the plans are right now, but can anyone else suggest whether the hills look Intamin-shaped in nature on them?

Dave

CF Legend
Looks at the moment Intamin, Gerstlauer and Mack uses very very similar Tri Track. So its why this is so open to speculation.

Stop thinking its Intamin 100%, Merlin have had a enough problems with Intamin with Stealth and Rita.

Slash

Giga Poster
^ And they've had problems with Gerstlauer but that is, im guessing, Thorpe's own fault.

My guess is still at Premier

marc

CF Legend
Thorpe is actually a Gerstlauer problem not a Thorpe problem for once.

A Mega Lite does not do the things that the coaster does in the plans.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There's also no evidence of Tri-Track. While Intamin COULD use bi-track, I just don't think it fits. See, the coaster is not going to be as fast as a Mega-Lite.

Okay, so the immediate counter argument there is "well, in that case they can use bi-track". Only it then makes the coaster nothing like a mega-lite. As UC says, they're airtime machines, and this is a much simpler beast.

Look at the Backlot Stung Coaster POV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN9-l8uEcgA

Imagine the launch is SW6, only SW6 goes backwards rather than forwards. The way the track curves, the actual track design AND the footers/supports all match the SW6 plans almost 100%.

The "wiggly" bit too, matches the section on SW6 through the woods.

However, Premier don't quite fit 100%. They produce mostly LIM coasters now. The Mummy coasters are a very different design. They don't tend to do rides with quite the extended layout Alton have here. However, they're much easier to overcome "issues" than the Intamin ones.

When you look at these things, you look at likelihoods and probabilities. You look at the obstacles a "theory" has to overcome to become truth. The harder you have to look at ways around an obstacle, the less likely it is to be that.

This is why Mack and Premier tend to be my top two choices. They both have very little "logically" to overcome to be the people involved.

Gerstlauer and MS have a few more issues to overcome. Intamin a bit more, Vekoma a massive amount and B&M so much against them it's more likely to be constructed out of reconstituted worm food!

spicy

Giga Poster
Im surprised a manufacturer still hasn't been confirmed yet, I can't remember a coaster that we know so much about but still don't know the manufacturer.

In fact, I swear they normally state the manufacturer on the plans?

Personally I think its an Intamin or a Premier.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, you want to see TTF! pages and pages and pages of why it's B&M :roll:

We're quite civilised here :lol:

Rita didn't have an announcement on who it was ever I don't think. It wasn't until track turned up that people could work it out.

In this case, if track appeared tomorrow, we'd still be just as clueless unless it came in a van with the manufacturer's name on it. They don't by the way, they come in unmarked containers, or on the back of flat bed trucks.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Patience is a virtue.
Good things come to those who wait e.t.c.

I can't really get excited about a coaster until I physically see track/supports actual construction, I just can't get excited by blueprints :lol:

neo

Mega Poster
This will not be a Premier. The plans do show bi-rail track, it has two rails, cross ties and cross struts. However the cross struts go the wrong way for a Premier, in any train direction they go from left (to the next cross tie)-to-right on the new Alton coaster. Whereas the Premier track cross ties do the opposite, right-to-left:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig3853.htm?picture=8

Secondly, due to what I can only assume as to be acoustic reasoning, the new Alton coaster features a large number of I-beam supports. But could there be an additional reason for this choice? Possibly, a possibility:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig3950.htm?picture=2
http://www.rcdb.com/ig4293.htm?picture=9

Although the above type of coaster isn’t renowned for its airtime, AT’s 2010 plans do show spread out hills, perhaps only capable of zero-g. Mick Doohan’s Motocoaster and Jet Rescue are more centred on twists and turns, something Alton’s plans show quite a bit of. It would make sense for Merlin to use a tried and tested company like Intamin. I also wouldn’t doubt Intamin’s ability to pioneer new track features, Intamin are always keen to help develop a parks vision for a future attraction.

Still, any company could use I-beams to reduce noise, thus, based on the track style alone, Intamin and Gerstlauer are still in the race, as they have used that particular track profile before (of those two, Intamin seem to be most pioneer ready). Mack rides has not, indeed the e-Motion track style is very different. So as an educated guess, Gerstlauer and Intamin seem to be the most likely manufacturers.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'd not noticed that, Oooh! :)

Mack seem to have two styles of eMotion coaster track (looking on their website), but pictures are very limited.

The thing is, with Intamin and Gerstlauer, what kind of ride type are they? It's not a mega-lite, as it's not going fast enough. It's unlikely to be a Eurofighter as there is no vertical lift, and no inversions.

So something new, or a mix maybe?

A

Anonymous

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0sKuZhhANg&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Apparently it's a B&M,
Rita is being repainted next season,
and a new intamin coaster is also opening in 2010 in the black hole tent.

Status
Not open for further replies.