What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash

Giga Poster
lightning101 said:
I agree, but a thousand people on an enthusiast site are not the people who Alton are going to spend their marketing money on. The gp didn't realise air wasn't a world first, why would this be anything different?

But your forgetting that seeing as Vekoma's was called the lie down coaster, BM could take the claim to fame. They did it by just reversing the way the trains work so that on the lift you hang in "flyer" position.

Therefore legally, that was a flying roller coaster and the first one.

Ben

CF Legend
Slash said:
lightning101 said:
I agree, but a thousand people on an enthusiast site are not the people who Alton are going to spend their marketing money on. The gp didn't realise air wasn't a world first, why would this be anything different?

But your forgetting that seeing as Vekoma's was called the lie down coaster, BM could take the claim to fame. They did it by just reversing the way the trains work so that on the lift you hang in "flyer" position.

Therefore legally, that was a flying roller coaster and the first one.

No, it wasn't.

Not even of the "on your front on the lift" sort. Not even the first in the country.

http://rcdb.com/id2380.htm

A

Anonymous

Exactly, skytrak was brought up in the previous sw6 thread.
Plus there are countless loopholes that could let Alton get away with a worlds first tag. ie worlds first for that particular builder. The gp wouldn't knw the difference.

Slash

Giga Poster
Well, I don't understand, how could it be the worlds first flyer then? Simply because that one was actually called the flyer? And how does the Trade Description act (or similar) not prevent this?

That is just stupid

Ben

CF Legend
I guess there's some stipulation somewhere that says they can get away with it. Different technology, manufacturer etc., and whilst Air shouldn't be called it, I guess it's enough to get away with it.

But, I don't think Trading Standards would care. It's like with BPB, I wonder if someone cared enough to actually complain, if something would be done?

A

Anonymous

They got away with it in airs case as it was B&M's first flyer. Of course most enthusiasts knew this was a crock, but the gp didn't know and I suspect wouldn't have cared.

Dave

CF Legend
AT called Air the first 'true' flying roller coaster. Meaning your in the flying position as your leaving the station, as opposed to Vekoma's flying coaster.

A

Anonymous

Which it wasn't as skytrak proceeded it by a fair few years.

Pierre

Strata Poster
The worlds first thing was spoken in front fo enthusiasts, but also on live BBC news at the same time... can't remember where the guy worked in AT, but its pretty high up (and on the video download page on CF!).

As for what the actual worlds first thing, I can see it being a mega let-down for enthusiasts, they're keeping us guessing for most of the year, so ideas will be running completely wild and non-sensical, when it comes to it, people will be kinda like "oh... is that it?!"

I noticed Furies post on TTF about it being pretty much an area for JCB enthusiasts until later on in the year, until then, everythings just a wild guess.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm certainly in the "Intamin Camp" now. Seriously shown my lack of knowledge on that front.

My problem was... I was looking at Mega-Lites! This coaster, while the layout is similar, just doesn't fit the Mega-Lite bill.

It DOES fit Intamin Mine-train/family/motocoaster bill though. Something with a huge amount of shared genes with those, only with a slightly Mega-Lite layout like.

Sadly, looking for it to be a Mega-Lite blinded me to it being one of Intamin's lesser known ride types. I think that one of these Intamin family coasters is probably the way to look.

I also don't think people actually realise the scale of this coaster. It's actually really pretty small. I looked at the site the other day and there's not much to it. The backwards twist is going to be about the same size as the helix on Corkscrew - likewise the first drop-turn. There's not going to be an incredible amount of speed from it (I read about 30-40 Mph). It'll look great so close to the trees, but it's still not going to be particularly fast. It's a quite slow, short coaster.

It's all going to be on the "world's first" bit, but that will be the last thing to be revealed (probably on opening day) and there is really NO point in speculating, as it really could be anything. I'd say it's likely to be disappointing though.

Dave

CF Legend
It does remind me of the Intamin Mine Trains and also S&S rides like Powder Keg as well.

RobJackson85

Roller Poster
UC said:
RobJackson said:
If CP can claim the twisted horse shoe roll on Maverick is a worlds first then anything can be done, after all that is just a corkscrew into turn into another corkscrew is it not?

Ugh, that one pisses me off more than anything...but nevermind, haha..

Sorry to be a pain, but what is it that annoys you about my statement? Is it the fact that people say this about the element? Or that it was marketed as a world's first?

A

Anonymous

Reading it in context with the rest of uc's post, I believe he was referring to it being marketed as a worlds first.

Ollie

CF Legend
Haha, jealous much that I've been told what it is and know who the manufacturer is. :p

Knowing now it does sound good but like Saw it relies heavily on all the effects working on the indoor bit. If you hype it up too much you'll be disappointed, but it's a nice addition to the park.

And you'll all be surprised to find out who the manufacturer is. It's a new kind of track that's not done before so it's not what happens indoors that's the 'worlds first element' if that makes any sense.
I know now loads of people are going to choose not to believe me, fair enough. I'm not allowed to say anything so you don't gain much that you don't already know anyway. But I know where I heard it from it can be trusted as it's moreorless directly from people involved with the project.

I still don't know everything as they kept zipped up about that, but it was interesting to find out a little bit more than everyone else.
I also tried to find out about the BH tent and Rita re-theme, but they wouldn't say anything on that so it remains a mystery (although I doubt the spinner in BH is true still).

Crow

Mega Poster
Pierre said:
The worlds first thing was spoken in front fo enthusiasts, but also on live BBC news at the same time... can't remember where the guy worked in AT, but its pretty high up (and on the video download page on CF!).

I believe that was Russell Barnes who is the Managing Director of the Alton Towers Resort.

marc

CF Legend
Ollie I really do wish you would not do that again, the "I know what it is" stuff but I can not tell you.

Whats the point in posting that? all you will say when we find out is "I knew that" even if you did not.

Anyway if it does only rely on indoor theming like Saw its not going to be much good due to the outside layout looking less thrilling than Saw. Time will tell I suppose.

Ollie

CF Legend
southend_marc said:
Ollie I really do wish you would not do that again, the "I know what it is" stuff but I can not tell you.

Whats the point in posting that? all you will say when we find out is "I knew that" even if you did not.
I know it sounds like the typical little enthusiast pretending to know more than everyone else but it's true. And I told you so if I can sneak in slight hints then I will and you won't be wondering where they hell I heard it from.
I don't know that much more than everyone else, so it won't be long before you already know what I know now.

Status
Not open for further replies.