What's new

The Games we play...

Pierre

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
^I didn't like the UP demo at all. Thought it was boring.
Anyway just completed Uncharted 2. The story is pretty long. Been playing it almost non-stop since I booted it up around 10:30am. It's almost impossible to put down as it's so much fun.
You already know my views on it but in case you missed it... IT'S AMAZING!!!. One of in not THE best game on PS3.
The story is so great that I'd never get bored just playing it over and over unlike most games where you can't be bothered to do a second run. Still got loads of trophies and things to unlock. Also online needs to be played. It's really good.
Got it pretty cheap as well. Got the collectors edition for £36 which comes in a metal case, has artwork, golden weapons for online play and also extra characters/costumes to play as online.
So yeah even though it's been out a day.
get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...

Easily gets 10/10

I know Big John was playing it for a bit today so hopefully he'll agree with me (can't see why not). :)

I just completed it, and I enjoyed playing through it but... this quote from someone on the playstation forums sums it up really for me...

whats worse is that we kill non of the bosses in game

Draza- Is killed by Chloe

Flynn- Blows Himself up

Lazaravich- Killed by the guardians.

I seem to remember in the last game the same thing happened

Eddy- Killed by the Mutants

" Forgot his name"- Killed by Navaro

Navaro- Drowned

When will Drake ever pull the trigger on a baddy boss?

Also does anyone see any connections between the first and the second?

Guardians-Mutants

Eddy, Navaro and "Forgot his Name"- Flynn, Draza, Lazaravich

You and Eddy VS Mutants - You and Flynn Vs Guardians

Girl is trapped, with no power + Zombies - Girl is trapped with no power...Serious lack of Zombies.

The treausre they are after is never truley what it seems nor do they get what there after.

There are Three Main Good guys and they all live.

Drake takes out a huge army

Just seem the games seem very alike and if they make a third it will be very pradictable.

I'll apologise about the spelling mistakes for him :) despite that though, he hit the nail on the head for me, it felt like I was just playing the same game through in a different setting.

Thats not to say I didn't enjoy playing through it though, because I did, its definitely a moreish game, where you find yourself wanting to play on to see what the next chapter unfolds, but the end result is pretty disappointing!

spicy

Giga Poster
^ I enjoyed it so much because I didn't actually play the first one. Im playing the first one through now and I was quite shocked initially how similar the games are, although thats not a bad thing really, its a winning formula although they can't keep doing it.

Anyone played DJ Hero yet? Im thinking about getting it but the price is putting me off although it does look really good. I wasn't Guitar Hero's biggest fan though so I am not quite sure if I will like it.

kimahri

CF Legend
spicy said:
Anyone played DJ Hero yet? Im thinking about getting it but the price is putting me off although it does look really good. I wasn't Guitar Hero's biggest fan though so I am not quite sure if I will like it.

I did in the shop at dinner today.

was a bit, meh. Then again there was no sound.

spicy

Giga Poster
^Yeah no sound on a game like that would suck.

I just ordered the Jay-Z and Eminem Renegade version £139.99. Ouch but not too bad considering its £170 rrp.

Anyway hope im not disappointed although I have read nothing but positive things about it.

Ollie

CF Legend
If you pre-ordered DJ Hero from HMV it cost only £90 and you got a free DJ Hero T-Shirt and a big poster with codes to get free extra playable characters. And they delivered it to your house for free. I was tempted to do it but then realised I desperately need to save money rather than spend it.

spicy

Giga Poster
Yeah I really wanted the Eminem and Jay-Z version though, not only are the decks better and you get a cool carry case that turns into a table for the decks and you get two unreleased CD's from Eminem and Jay-Z.

Plus im a bit of an Eminem fanboi so the unrealsed album swung it for me :lol:

Il let you know if its worth getting and write a review when I get it.
I decided to pick it up from my local game store rather than get it delivered because of the postal strike it could have taken forever, so hopefully I will have it by either tomorrow or Thursday. Woo!

Ollie

CF Legend
Just completed Brutal Legend:

I'd looked forward to this for a while. The trailers looked awesome. The demo was great. And I was tempted to buy it. I'm glad I didn't.
The demos and trailers give you a false impression of the game and lie to you. It makes you think it's going to be some great button masher but as soon as you get passed the point you end in the demo it turns into a RTS. You have to select different groups and send them off to do tasks while the enemy attacks.
There are some other bits. You have to drive around an open world to get to different locations. There are secondary missions as well but these are either a race or defend a point for so long while you get attacked. The game gets very repetitive quickly.
The checkpoints are also really far apart and it's annoying to loose a battle near the end only to be put back about an hours of gameplay. This was most annoying at the end of the game when the battles were harder.
That said though it's still quite a fun game. It doesn't have amazing visuals but there's a sense of fun you don't get with many other modern games anymore. The games music is great as well. Some awesome rock and metal songs that fit in to what's going on as you're playing. At one point I was escaping in my car while things were exploding around me with "Through the Fire and Flames" blasting through the speakers.
The main character is voiced by Jack Black who's as stupid in game as he is in real life but at least while playing you don't have to look at him even though the main character resembles him.
So yeah it's alright. Nowhere near the epic game they were making it out to be but it's a fun game that's worth renting for a week or so.

big john

Mega Poster
i heard about brutal legend but didnt follow it at all as i didnt want it spoiled at all i did play the demo however and yet it does give you a false impresion of the game, on this impresion i bought the game and i was very very disapointed that it turned into a RTS game and seeing as im not a fan of RTS i took it back and got my moneys back so didnt bother nad was very dissapointed in it all together.
On the other side i got the eye pet thing for tanya and yes i know i wasnt botherd about it but thought tanya would love it and yes she does, I have to admit it is quite impressive and works well its very responsive and reacs quickly to everything you do.
The next game i got was DJ Hero at first i wasnt interested in it at all but then heard daft punk had done lots for it so my interest was grabed as im a massive daft punk fan, Then i found out it wasnt actually made by the same guys who do the guitar hero franchise so grabed me even more as i think guitar hero latly has been rubbish. Anyways i got it and have to say it is very very very good yes you need to be into this kind of thing and djmusic and stuff so thst prob why i love it so much. It also gives it good ground when you have a friend like me who i a massive metal head and wont ever listen to anything else and wont open his mind to anything else musicly really had a go and withing 3 songs he was hooked and nodding away to the music. So yes i recomend it if you like these games, I got the renegade edition only because i get a discount for working at GAME and i had it bought for my borthday but have to admit its the best one the other just seems cheep and plastic whereas the renegade edition is metal black and solid.
Also if anyone does get it lemme know in the next couple of day and ill see if i can get ya the free download codes we have at work for the exclusive tracks which you have o pay for but with the code can get em for free pm me if ya want em with console and ill see what i can doo for ya.

marc

CF Legend
Not holding out much hope for that Neal tbh :(

The last one on the PS3 was really bad, the best one was the 1st one.

nealbie

CF Legend
Considering GT5Prologue was less than 5% of the full game. I do :lol:

Plus you're only saying that because it had a Ferrari Formula 1 car on it ;)

marc

CF Legend
Did it? I can not even remember tbh.

The problem I had with Prologue was it did not feel fast enough, it always felt slow.

The london track was good but that was it.

The full game will be better, but until you can damage cars it will never be great lol. I still dont like the fact you bounce off a wall.

nealbie

CF Legend
Yeah. That is bad, yet good at the same time.

Perhaps (and hopefully) the will create a split level game. Where you can choose to add damage, but then take it off if you find that you're useless :lol:

kimahri

CF Legend
I remeber good ol' GT3. It was the first game I owned since my amiga days. It was really boring, except the rally tracks.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
L4D2 demo :D

All the little improvements have made it alot more enjoyable... Its not quite a new experience, but its definatly alot better!

Just being able to take chunks out of zombies... so much more satisfying.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
kimahri said:
I remeber good ol' GT3. It was the first game I owned since my amiga days. It was really boring, except the rally tracks.

QFT! Gran Turismo now is essentially a rhythm action game.

Follow the line, press brake when the lines turn a different colour, move in time to the line, press accelerator. It's just missing music... and fun...

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I've recently acquired a whole bunch of PSN games to download. I've had a chance to play them all enough to post reviews now I think.

Smash Cars
This interested me as I had the original version on the PC about 10 years ago. It was also great fun, but irritating and shallow. It had a customisable .ini file though and you could play with all kinds of physics and effects. That made it good.

The idea is a good one, you race remote control cars around "life like" circuits, overcoming obstacles such as real sized cars, beach bathers, tables, chairs, etc.

It's like the original, fun, but shallow. It's also mildly irritating in that it handles just a little funnily. You have to seriously watch yourself all the time, but if you get behind, you need to rush and push, but the game doesn't really let you do that. If you rush, you will fail even more. So it's quite a punishing game at times. Still, 7/10.

Wipeout HD
I've been playing Wipeout on various Sony machines since the original. I don't know why, I don't really like them. I want to like them, I really do. They're fast, exciting, require skill and fantastically presented. I just find them lacking something to hook me in though. I don't know what it is.

I played through about 10 races, replaying to get gold medals. I can't say I really enjoyed it, but it must be a good game somewhere to get me to keep on playing that much. I will probably play it a few more times, then it will gather dust as all the other versions have. Gorgeous game though. 10/10 if you like Wipeout, 7/10 if you don't.

Shatter
Essentially an Arkanoid/Breakout clone, but done in the style of Rez. Everything about the game reminded me of Rez in fact, apart from the gameplay which is pure block breaker. Style wise it's lush, with some brilliantly realised obscure levels and music. End of level bosses are also well designed. I hated it though, I just couldn't get a game over. I had to keep playing it, but after an hour of doing it and accidentally picking up more and more 1up's, I just put the controller down. I'd been playing for over an hour and made it more than halfway through the game without losing a credit. I just wanted to die. I wanted the game to die - which is a shame because it's so lovely. 4/10 for being uber easy.

Toy Home
I love the idea of this game. It's like everything Micro Machines should be. You play a toy car (clockwork) racing around a real life environment (bedroom, kitchen table, etc) collecting coins and checkpoints against the clock. There are rewards for smashing things, jumping, etc. Brilliant idea, and pretty well executed... Except...

1. You have to steer using the motion control function. This is a PS3, not a Wii - let me have th eoption of using the sticks please.

2. You only get a tiny amount of the game for your (or other person's :p ) £7. To get a decent number of cars, tracks and multi-player options, you have to pay another £3.50. It's not unlock through skill, but unlock through pocket. I wouldn't mind, but the stuff to unlock is a much larger part of the game than what you get in the initial purchase. So you get a small amount for £7, and a huge amount for £3.50. Either make the whole game a tenner, or make more stuff unlockable initially. Game itself is fun, but unless I pay £3.50, I won't see enough to really make a decision overall. So 6/10 for the basic game.

Sky Diving
Use the motion controller to make patterns in the sky with your fellow sky divers. Or don't because the controls don't work properly. 4/10 because the landing game is good fun actually :)

Trials of Topaq
PSEye game where you have to move your body to raise tiles in a castle floor, which then shunts around a ball to a goal. A bit like marble madness using a feather duster to move the track ball. I never bought it at first because it looked exceptionally irritating. I was right. 1/10

Wolfenstein 3d
Hated this on the PC when it was released. I hate it slightly less now, but still hate it. It's good to have my hatred of the game confirmed :) (I won't review this as I can in no way do this objectively).

.detuned
Fun little tech demo. I agree with paying for these things to support future talent, but not because they're good though.

Elefunk
Didn't really like the demo, but the full game is okay. It's addictive in that it hooks into the part of your brain that says "if you can do this, then you're clever". So better than I thought it would be, but stil not quite the game I wanted from it. I prefer the original bridge it games it's based on.

High Velocity Bowling
Nintendo did it better and I don't want to play theirs either.

Magic Ball
Shatter put me off playing this. I didn't want to play another Arkanoid/Breakout clone ever again. I did however... It's great! What a brilliant little title. Instead of blocks, you have "proper" objects to smash apart like pirate ships, skeletons on rafts and sharks. Just really entertaining actually! Nice! 8/10

Savage Moon Not played it yet, but thought the demo was okay - it's just NOT Pixel Junk Monsters.

And finally!

Soldner-X
I love side scrolling shooters (or even better Astro Tripper which is very awesome). However, I love one shot kils as it keeps you on your toes. Soldner was really complex in the power up system and it means you spend so much time concerned about that stuff that they have to give you an energy bar. Don't like, too modern for me :)

So, lots of complaints there then. Well, a lot of these games really do depend on your own tastes. The reason I had not bought them before was simply because I didn't know enough about the final product to determine if it was worthwhile buying or not. While the games are cheap (under a tenner in most cases), you can often get an old, second hand full retail game for the same cost. One you know has had millions spent on it (not that it always makes them a good game).

This has been great for me to satisfy my curiosity. I've had my fingers burnt a couple of times on PSN games, so am very cautious now. I just wish more would come with demos to let me decide if they're worth the money or not. I'd certainly pay for Magic Ball now; and Toy Home (plus expansion) if it was reduced in price a little. Some games I had thought about seriously, but now I know not to bother (Sky Diving, Smash Cars, etc).

Big thanks to my benefactor though, it was really appreciated letting me jon in the games with you.