What's new

The Games we play...

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
I personaly can see the natal failin aswell. I meen what have they shown us bar some rubbish friend simulator, to please all the geeks out there, a rubbish paint software and some weird ball dodging thing which they advertised as the new wii fit ^^ Whilst I prefer not to be a fanboy the sony one looks alot better. Partaily due to the fact it looks like they are only using it to back up the current controler. The Little Big Planet demo especialy made this look good. In all fairness they are both probably going to end up as rubbish gimmiks its just natal will be the more technological and fancy one. But will anyone bar casual gamers use either? I doubt that very much ^^

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've got a PS Eye and while it's 200 times better than the Eye Toy, for what it's made for, it's poor (taking pictures, videos and detecting movement) - if it's in low light.

I saw the brightly coloured ball tech working many years ago when the Eye Toy was first announced (back in 2002/3 I think). It looked to work well, but again, in a bright white studio.

I'm going to be picking up the Eye Toy Pet for Christmas for MMF, so I'll reserve final judgement on how far they've come until then.

The problem is still... People don't buy a PS3 to wave their arms about. Unless they have PSfrii Sports (and Resort), who is actually going to buy it? Natal the same, it's a gimmick which is a great tech demo, but which gets put on the shelf after two days. Just like most of the people with Wiis. It's bandwagon jumping on of the highest degree and I think it's clear that neither Sony nor Microsoft have an actual plan of what to do, other than try and play Nintendo's game, without really understanding what that is.

The irony of course is that Sony made a fortune with the Eye Toy, selling to casual PS2 gamers on a bunch of "fun" mini games that involved standing around, waving your arms about. I'm not saying that they opened the door to Nintendo and the Wii, but I can't see how Nintendo could have missed the high sales and new market the Eye Toy potentially opened up to them. Essentially, everything on the Wii is what Eye Toy brought, only with Nintendo shine and polish.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ahhh, the trailer was good, so I was expecting something good from the gameplay video too... Sadly, just another brown/red FPS - big bag of meh :p

Slash

Giga Poster
Furie, how can you say this! It is an fps and i sorta get what you mean but seriously the amount of tactics and other such things you have to use makes the game fun. Couple this with the aspect the special infected and uncommon common infected bring and its doubling the fun.

Also they've stopped the aspect of "sit in a corner and shoot" that you got in the finales of l4d because in a finale i did in the demo you have to turn off an alarm, which is rather far away and the alarm attracts the zombies.

Its much more than just an fps furie! But I guess, one mans trash, another mans treasure.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've been playing first person shooters for around 20 years now (since I played Wolfenstein 3D when it was released). They never really grabbed my attention at all at any point, with maybe three notable exceptions:

1. Unreal Tournament (the original, though the others are okay I guess).
2. Half Life/ Half Life 2
3. Alien Versus Predator
4. Soldier of Fortune

Alright, that's more than three :D

UT was just great fun, and the control system just seemed tight in a way that Quake wasn't. I also didn't suck at it in the way I did with Quake (III).

Half Life and Half Life 2 are all about the story and advancement. Cunning level design and a real want to play the game. The fact it's a FPS is secondary to everything else. Sadly the further HL episodes were just plain old shooters.

AvP was just brilliant. Fan of the films and the original game was just blindingly well designed. Multiplayer was also awesome!

SoF? No idea why I loved this, but it was the first FPS I ever completed.

I play them every so often still, and do enjoy them to a degree, but they have to have something special that grabs me. I'm also (except for UT) a very cautious, slow player. I don't rush into things and I dislike getting into blazing fire fights - I just can't really cope with the interface well enough to do it (yes, my dislike comes from lack of basic ability LOL). So when I see things like L4D, it just makes me cringe inside :lol:

However, I can just bang on about how all games now are dull, brown FPS and that games developers have no imagination - it helps me to sleep at night! :p

Ollie

CF Legend
Slowly working my way through Uncharted 2 on Crushing mode. Currently on the last section of the train levels just before you have to shoot the Helicopter down. It's a tough challenge but it'll be worth it in the end when that gold trophy pops up on the screen. :)

Slash

Giga Poster
furie said:
I've been playing first person shooters for around 20 years now (since I played Wolfenstein 3D when it was released). They never really grabbed my attention at all at any point, with maybe three notable exceptions:

1. Unreal Tournament (the original, though the others are okay I guess).
2. Half Life/ Half Life 2
3. Alien Versus Predator
4. Soldier of Fortune

Alright, that's more than three :D

UT was just great fun, and the control system just seemed tight in a way that Quake wasn't. I also didn't suck at it in the way I did with Quake (III).

Half Life and Half Life 2 are all about the story and advancement. Cunning level design and a real want to play the game. The fact it's a FPS is secondary to everything else. Sadly the further HL episodes were just plain old shooters.

AvP was just brilliant. Fan of the films and the original game was just blindingly well designed. Multiplayer was also awesome!

SoF? No idea why I loved this, but it was the first FPS I ever completed.

I play them every so often still, and do enjoy them to a degree, but they have to have something special that grabs me. I'm also (except for UT) a very cautious, slow player. I don't rush into things and I dislike getting into blazing fire fights - I just can't really cope with the interface well enough to do it (yes, my dislike comes from lack of basic ability LOL). So when I see things like L4D, it just makes me cringe inside :lol:

However, I can just bang on about how all games now are dull, brown FPS and that games developers have no imagination - it helps me to sleep at night! :p

Ahh I get what you mean now. Perfectly valid point tbf, its preferences and blazing fire fights is sorta what you get in l4d2, except they aren't shooting at you, they're beating you up and if your not a fast player, you don't stand a big chance. I agree to a certain extent with you.

Half Life are excellent games, can't wait for HL3 to come out, the story lines are magnificent and thats another thing ValVe lost in l4d series. The fact that a story line can make the game better, unfortunately l4d was about as much story as "here are some zombies!". Hopefully l4d2's storyline will advance more but nothing to the extent that you'd want to play.

Seeing as your playing style is like this then its fair enough for you to dislike l4d2.

And yes Game Designers nowadays do lack imagination.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Slash said:

*ouch*

No.. game designers DONT lack imagination.. GAMERS dont want imagination - they want the same bland boring run of the mill grey and brown shooters year after year.. with "mature" story lines to keep them playing.

As proven by yourself going on about left 4 dead 2.. yet ANOTHER multiplayer fps game.. Woohoo!! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
mrclam said:
Slash said:

*ouch*

No.. game designers DONT lack imagination.. GAMERS dont want imagination - they want the same bland boring run of the mill grey and brown shooters year after year.. with "mature" story lines to keep them playing.

As proven by yourself going on about left 4 dead 2.. yet ANOTHER multiplayer fps game.. Woohoo!! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pixel Junk Monsters! On the PSP! The Pee Ess Pee! Much loads of awesomeness and better than the Pee Ess three version!

Also, Locoroco Midnight Carnival!!! Locoroco only really good!!!

[/failed Kim type of post]

kimahri

CF Legend
Yeah, that really did fail. It's too scripted. If you want to do a "kim post," make it up as you go along and use Touhou only when we fall into the PS3 VS Xbox360 arguments again.

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
Pixel Junk Monsters! On the PSP! The Pee Ess Pee! Much loads of awesomeness and better than the Pee Ess three version!

Also, Locoroco Midnight Carnival!!! Locoroco only really good!!!

[/failed Kim type of post]

And do you think any of those will sell even 1/1000th as many as the latest carbon copy fps yawnfest?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
No, but they cost a 1000 times less to produce, advertise and publish :)

Net effect? Same success (though the people who did Monsters are whining about piracy hitting their back pockets).

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
No, but they cost a 1000 times less to produce, advertise and publish :)

I wouldnt be so sure.. A fps can be made fairly cheaply be taking something like the unreal engine and adding your own levels/characters/etc.

Whereas a "original" game would need it's own engine, tools, etc.. And lots of experimentation to see what is fun/isnt.. On a more experimental game, there's more likely to be lots of re-iterations/wasted work/etc.

Its also more expensive to produce non realistic art - as game artists are just not used to doing it - most artists prefer to to realisitc 3d art. 2D based artwork is especially cumbersome - because you can no longer let the 3d package do most of the animation for you.

Ollie

CF Legend
^It good but annoying that you can only play as one character from each side during it.

Anyway whoever was saying that the PSeye probably won't work in low lighting needn't not worry. Reading reviews for Eyepet people have been saying it works fine.
I'll probably ask for it for Christmas as it looks quite fun. It's quite cheap as well £30 for the game, PSeye and a Magic card or £15 for the game on it's own. A great way to get a PSeye if you don't have one already.
I've already got one though but I can't find anywhere if the game on it's own comes with one of those magic card things and how important they are. Also is there some way to extend the length of the cable on the PSeye. I know it's already quite long but my TV and PS3 are quite far apart and the cable can't just reach and I want to find a way to attach it to the top of my TV as well.

Anyway I've been playing Brutal Legend.
I was really looking forward to this as the trailer made it look great and the demo was great fun to play as well. Although both give you false impressions of what the game is really like. No-where does it tell you that that pretty soon after the point you finish at in the demo it turns into a RTS where you have to order groups around to locations to fight battles. Although it's still quite fun it's not what I was expecting it to be and it seemed a bit stubborn of the devs not saying as it seems like they're trying to hide that bit to sell the game. Still it's great fun to play. Jack Black is his old hideous douchy self but you don't have to see him as you can skip the small clip before the titles.
What I like about it is that it knows that it doesn't have to rely on great graphics to make it good. It's just good fun to play.
It's alright but not as great as they made it out to be.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I followed the development of Brutal Legend, and it really depressed me how much money was being spent over-hyping such a clearly dull game. Okay, so the Guitar Hero-esque story and style immediately made my teeth itch, but it's just a simple button masher.

Fortunately I'm pretty immune to the hype machine so saw through it all :)

If you want to extend the PSEye Ollie, just get a simple USB male to female extension lead. I have a couple linked together and get about 3 meters now out of my lead for the PSEye.

On the Eye Pet thing... You can't play the game without the "Magic Card", so I can't see it not being supplied with the solus version.

I've been playing on God of War III for the PS3... It's, erm, well, it's more of the same only prettier. See Brutal Legend - simple button masher.

There's something about the scale and style of the God of War games that makes them better than others, but it's still just more again.

However, I've been diving into the heady world of PSP Minis. Well, one of them anyway. Red Bull X-Racers or some such thing. It's actually a port of an iPhone game :lol: It's good fun though, like Tony Hawks, only not quite as annoying. It' a proper old school kind of pick up and play game, simple, fun and just challenging enough to make you want to throw things - good stuff :)

Also have been trying to decide whether to buy Pixel Junk Monsters on the PSP, great game, but I don't put the time into the PS3 version, but that's more to do with the fact that it's not a "sitting in the front room having a quick blast" kind of game - it requires a degree of concentration and thought :p

Oh, played the Trine demo too. Great concept, nicely done, bit cheesy, I hate platformers :(