What's new

The Games we play...

marc

CF Legend
Well had it been good I would have probably got a Wii as I want the Toy Story game.

The F1 game looks better on the PSP which is just silly really.

nealbie

CF Legend
That's because the Wii never seems to be overly competent at that sort of game. Don't know why, but it always reminds me of the graphics off the original Playstation :lol:

Should still be fun being able to use the Mario Kart steering wheels for something other than Mario Kart though ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
Well had it been good I would have probably got a Wii as I want the Toy Story game.

The shooting one? Many a very bad review of it. Apparently it's dull and often just doesn't work properly. Not worth £200!!!

marc said:
The F1 game looks better on the PSP which is just silly really.

It's not actually that silly. The PSP and Wii version were farmed out to the same developer.

I think the idea is this. The PSP has almost PS2 quality graphics. The Wii nobody seems to care if it has sub PS2 quality graphics.

So the same team can just write the same shoddy code and create the same shoddy graphics because nobody ever buys third party games on Wii or PSP anyway ;)

It's quite clear really :lol:

Neal said:
That's because the Wii never seems to be overly competent at that sort of game. Don't know why, but it always reminds me of the graphics off the original Playstation :lol:

It's because to make them better requires effort. You can churn out PS2 quality graphics very easily (it's essentially a Gamecube with extras after all). So why bother, as Mr Clam says, nobody thinks third party games will sell, so just put people who can code up PS2 games that are cheap to employ.

Again, Codemasters. Dirt 2 was blindingly good on 360 and Ps3, poor on Wii and PSP. Sells well on 360 and PS3, badly on Wii and PSP. Yet the PS2 had several very good McRae games - looked good and played great (and sold well). So why not the same on the Wii and PSP? No effort put into either the game or trying to sell them.

Neal said:
Should still be fun being able to use the Mario Kart steering wheels for something other than Mario Kart though ;)

That would be brilliant. Controlling a spin off the line with a bit of plastic held three foot in the air :lol:

Just a quick one (that will be a long one) Mr Clam.
The Wii's issue, to me, seems to stem from the dreaded "casual gamer". My view on it is that it's sold to everyone, purely because it's essentially the new "household social activity". Like Simon, Yahtzee and Trivial Pursuit. It's something everyone has, because it's a fad everyone loves for a bit (sometimes years). "Come round to ours, we have a Wii. We'll have a few drinks and play tennis" kind of Saturday night thing (my parents used to have them all the time for above games).

So, millions of Wii's sell to people who only buy a few "new mini games for fun". However, they also buy Nintendo games - most of these people are our age now, and have a great deal of nostalgia for Super Mario World et al. Hence why these games sell so well - recognised branding.

The reason "real" games don't sell so well is simply the Wii may have many millions of units sold, but out of those, I'll bet there are only about the same number of "gamers" as there are on the 360 and PS3. Gamers being the people who play games as a "hobby", doing it regularly. Rather than just when they have mates around, or for a week after they see a new game released.

Some games (like SSBB) will sell to pretty much all the gamers and therefore have a very good attachment rate.

The issue, as far as I can see, is that "serious casual" gamers don't take the Wii seriously. So people like Smithy and Pierre who don't live games, but have always had a PS2 or Xbox to play Fifa or whatever - post pub gaming and weekend hangover gaming really - they just don't buy those types of games on the Wii.

So, the question really is this - is it actually worth putting the effort into these games? I have the Wii and PS3, so I'm never going to buy the Wii version of Dirt 2 - there's no way that the Wii version could be as good. The Wii is good for "original" content, but cross platform? I just don't think that the target audience is there.

Dave brings up Deadly Creatures. I followed dev of that right through and it does look interesting. I've even seen it for £12 which I was tempted by. However, when I want to "get into a game", I want to relax - you can't with the Wii because at some point you end up having to wave your arms around. I like doing that for a bit of fun, but I don't want to be doing for hours on end while I really get into a gaming session. So Deadly Creatures sat on the shelf unbought by me. Travesty? I imagine so, I'm sure I'd love it. However, like Resi 4, I'd find myself not wanting to play it after a few days, just because the chore of arm waving out weighs the joy of playing a good game. It's back to Uncharted 2 ;)

I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems to me to be why the Wii does so well hardware and first party wise, but so poorly third party (unless it's a set of crap mini-games). There's just not enough "real gamers" to even support great new titles like A boy and his blob.

spicy

Giga Poster
furie said:
when I want to "get into a game", I want to relax - you can't with the Wii because at some point you end up having to wave your arms around. I like doing that for a bit of fun, but I don't want to be doing for hours on end while I really get into a gaming session. It's back to Uncharted 2

Haha, im exactly the same! Thats why I hardly play my Wii.

But yeah Furie I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head why the Wii will never out sell PS3 and 360 versions of games for 'real' gamers. The only Wii game that I own because it was so much better than the 360 and PS3 versions is Tiger Woods 10.

What the Wii needs is more games specifically just designed for Wii with real investment put behind them from 3rd parties like Zelda and Mario. The only one I can think of was Red Steel which is crap and No More Heroes which was nothing to rave about.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Just need to quickly point out here.

There ARE some great third party Wii games, and there ARE "real gamers" who love the platform. I believe that the numbers are pretty similar to those who are "real gamers" playing a similar number of great third party games on both 360 and PS3. It just looks better if

1.8 mill buy from a range of 22 mill
2.6 mill buy from range of 28 mill

Than 2 mill buy from a range of 60 mill.

I made the figures up, but I'd say it's about right for a "good seller". The problem is that Nintendo sell to around 50% of the users, while third parties may hit 2%. Third party on PS3 and 360 hit 10%. The actual end figures are the same, but on a set of stats in a marketing man's hand - the Wii looks much worse.

Third party Wii games only sell to 2% of the market, compared to 10% on the other platforms.

It's odd, because "real games" are being made for the Wii in droves.

spicy

Giga Poster
Just finished Uncharted 2, best game I have played in a very long time! For once it lasted a while aswell, unlike Arkham Asylum etc.

Shame games as good as this aren't released more often, ive ordered Uncharted 1 as I havent played that yet and now im just waiting for Modern Warfare 2, Assasins Creed 2 and Tekken 6!

Ollie

CF Legend
The Wii is a console I don't mind not owning. It's fun to play for a short time round a friends house but I get bored of it pretty quickly.

Anyway I've only got 4 trophies left on Uncharted 2 before I get the Platinum. Got to complete the game on Crushing now as I've just finished it on hard. It's super addicting and I don't think I'll ever get bored of the single player story just like the first one as it's so great. :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'd just like to define my idea of "casual gamer" and "real gamer"

A casual gamer is somebody who boots up their console possible once a week at the most, but often it will go weeks without playing. They play when friends are round, or for maybe a few days after they buy a new game (usually as an impulse buy).

These are the people who buy lots of the new "big sellers", but generally don't create any kind of real income. Let's face it, the Wii has a lot of these.

A real gamer is somebody who puts substantial numbers of hours into playing games a week. It doesn't matter what type of games (I've put a fair few hours into a number of Nintendo "casual games"), just that it's rare a day will pass when the console isn't on and played with, even if just for half an hour. Gaming is their hobby.

It's got nothing to do with the games being played, but rather the amount of time playing. A casual gamer will generally want to play a game that they can start playing in a few minutes, get decent at in a couple of hours and then just play whenever they feel like it, without losing thread of the story or where they are or what they're doing. A real gamer will want something that engages them from start to end. Unlike the old days, people actually like to finish a game and get closure. Gaming for the real gamer has become more like watching a (very poor) film ;)

Obviously there are the mid-ground people. People who enjoy gaming, but it's a back burner hobby for them. They like particular games series and always get the latest version to play. Post pub gamers and hangover gamers I reckon they are mostly :)

Nintendo are the balance experts. They produce games that people can pick up and enjoy for a few hours every few weeks. The same games can engage a real gamer by adding a lot of depth and challenges. They're often both "casual" and "hardcore". Likewise, I enjoy playing cheese fests sometimes (like Heavenly Sword) where they are 100% casual games, but good fun anyway :) Then a game like Uncharted will come along where you have the depth and challenge which I also enjoy.

Hope that clears it up anyway, it's not that casual games or gamers are bad and real gamers are better with better taste - it's just that real gamers are the people who keep everything going along at a steady tick - casual gamers are the people who make the massive hits.

kimahri

CF Legend
mrclam said:
Erm.. i dont undertand? Care to translate to "old fart" for me?

Shin Megami tensei : Imagine (megaten) is the game. Runescape is a different game. they are both Mumorpugers. An event is something the makers do in the game for certain days.

Example Halloween. Runescape does a small quest and give you some cloths to put on your character. Megaten decided to make you chase after some Demons that kill you in one hit and take a picture of them. It got quite silly with a large number of people chasing after a small ghost.

Ollie

CF Legend
^^It is amazing. I'm on my 4th play through of the story and am still loving it. :p

Oh and WTF is .Detuned about? Just downloaded it from the PSN and it's like a drugs trip. :lol:
There's this guy sitting on a chair in a weird colourful universe place and is surrounded by these weird creatures that hop to music. You than have different button combos and then use the shoulder triggers to 'pump' up the effect. These range from his head expanding into a balloon, turning into the elephant man and a ghost. You can then use the R3 to make him to an action like get up and dance or move. It also creates a weird effect sometimes. Also I didn't see any warning about epilepsy when booting it up. I spent most the game with bright colours flashing all over the place and the screen having a continuous strobe going at one point during the effects. But yeah. It's a really weird game. Don't think it's worth how much they're charging for it though but it's got some stupidly easy trophies. 100% it in 15 minutes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeiZFeQYQeo[/youtube]