What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
mrclam said:
So by that definition - people who buy games which can be finished in a few hours with no real skill or difficulty? *cough*bioshock*cough*?
(Yes! Im being pedantic for fun.. )

LOL! No, because they will then go on to play another game. :p

mrclam said:
and yes the ps3 does suck!

Nobody is biting because people have learned too well. People buy consoles for the games they play, as advocated by us both a lot in the past. Buy the console that is right for you, that has the games you want and that you like.

By now going back on that, people just think you're a fool and won't bother answering :p

mrclam said:
Only game i'm looking forwards to this xmas is NSMB.

It's the one game I'm really NOT looking forward too as it means that the Wii is going to be taking up prime PS3 time on the TV in the living room while the kids enjoy it :roll: :p

mrclam said:
I've bought Uncharted 2.. need to get some time to play it (nowadays i dont like long "involved" games - i only have time for an hour play here and there)

Bloody casual gamers! :p

Ollie

CF Legend
mrclam said:
Only game i'm looking forwards to this xmas is NSMB.

I've bought Uncharted 2.. need to get some time to play it (nowadays i dont like long "involved" games - i only have time for an hour play here and there)
It's fine to play in short go's as well. Check points are quite regular so you can play for about half hour if you want then come back and continue later.

kimahri

CF Legend
I'm quite interested of that Borderlands. Anyone had a chance to play it yet?

there was a t-shirt in Game for it as well which reminded me of Shadow of the Beast.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
There was a fairly great article in Aftenposten today about games. You should all read it.

It was about games being harder before, as any veteran gamer can attest. Not too many years ago, you banged your fists in the table and shouted at the machine when you failed the level just before the boss for the twentieth time. When you were regarded as a pro if you mangaged to play through a game without dying once. In order to finish the game, you had to master it, we say. And actually, games were harder before.

Gane developers see the stats saying that only a few percent of the games bought are finished at some point. They fear that gamers will reject their game if they find it too difficult, and thus make it easier. So, what's the accomplishment of completing a song on Guitar Hero in No Fail mode? Why did Nintendo add a help function in NSMBWii that basically does the game for you? Few gamers reject a game because it's too hard. They look for a challenge, and put away games that are too easy. We want that great feeling we get when we beat the level at the 21st try. We want the pro-confidence we get for the five minutes after we complete a game without having died once. We don't want to be held in the hand throughout the game.

Or something along those lines.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That was true, 20 years ago. I've moved on though. I no longer want to have the same repetition of movements trying to beat the same thing over and over. It was great when that was all there was, and I had many hours in the day to spend doing it.

I think for me, the best analogy is with TV.

Games way back when were like watching a marathon of Tom and Jerry cartoons. Great gratification, fun, but essentially the same thing over and over. As a young person, you're happy to have this repetition, you really enjoy it.

As you get older though, you want a bit more depth. Okay, it doesn't mean it's any better, or any different, it's just dressed up differently - but instead of five minutes of "bash, crash, bang", you have half an hour of dull characters yelling at each other in a soap opera.

Gaming isn't just about gaming now, it's a media in its own right, although still very simple and in its infancy.

I used to role play, and for me, the gaming aspect was all about telling a story. The mechanics of playing the game always got in the way of the tale and the active part I played in it. I don't want games to be passive, but I want them to reward me in other ways than simply to say "I beat a hard bit". I want a twist in the tale, or to be blinded by an action piece in the way I would be in a movie, only in this case, I have some degree of control. This is something that started with the original point and click adventures 20+ years ago!!! We may now have guns and FPS controls to make our way from story element to story element - but we're still doing the same kind of thing, helping to tell a tale.

Though, I still like a gaming challenge. There are two sides to this. There's the media approach, and also the "sport" approach. A sportsman will practice their skills at a very specific ability over and over. "Classic" games are more like somebody who plays a sport. You practice and make it perfect.

Trying to lump all games into a single category just isn't possible. It's like asking somebody to play guitar while running, or throwing the discus while ready Trotsky. Some games are fun and entertaining, others have a purpose of telling a tale where you take the starring role. There's more than enough room for both sides.

Ollie

CF Legend
Picked up Fifa 09 today for £5. Haven't had the chance to play it yet but mainly got it to get the trophies. :p

Lain

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
Picked up Fifa 09 today for £5. Haven't had the chance to play it yet but mainly got it to get the trophies. :p

¬_¬

It's impossible to get the platinum, BTW. :p

marc

CF Legend
Well I got Uncharted 2.

Can someone please tell me what the big deal is please?

Yes I am not that far into it but the graphics are no better than the 1st game, and I feel they should be tbh other newer games have done a much better job.

The game play is the say etc.

Basically its the 1st game with a new story, its all very old in terms of what other games are now doing.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Today I was notified by Microsoft that I was selected as an official Xbox Live beta tester & the new dashboard update that is scheduled to be released later this year was automatically uploaded to my 360. :--D
The new Facebook & Tweeter update <3<3<3.
I also like the Last.fm update as I'm listening to it now as I'm typing this. These, along with the awesome Netflix sharing update, make the 360 more than just a gaming console. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.
Anyone wanna watch a movie or TV show with me? :wink:
As far as games - I've been playing Beatles Rock Band, which was just ok until I downloaded the full Abbey Road & started playing it. Bring on Sgt. Peppers & the White Album!
I've also enjoyed playing Halo ODST, Brutal Legend & FIFA10 (which was just released on these shores this week). ODST is da BOMB! Brutal Legend single player is ok, but the mutliplayer rocks! Don't think I need to tell you all how great FIFA10 looks & plays, do I?
I also have to mention the Dark Corners Map Pack for Gears2, which brings that game back to life in a BIG WAY!!

Kebab

Giga Poster
Games are boring me now, it's pretty much the same with everything. I think I'm going to head back to retro where the games used to make me scream with rage, because of it wasting 45 minutes just to die and start the whole ****ing thing off again. Oh I love the Sega Megadrive.

In terms of whats coming, I can't wait until FFXIII as it looks fabulous! I've always been a massive fan of the series and this seems to be steering in the right direction, it's more the narrative than the actual gameplay I prefer. Kingdom Hearts 3 is looking extremely epic, I seriously hope they don't ruin it by making it "too" dark. I'm interested to see what Natal will come out like; it looks like a new revolution in gaming; there again, it could fail like many previous similar attempts to enhance gaming...

kimahri

CF Legend
The only recent Kingdom Hearts games that I know of are:

358/2 day for the DS
Birth by Sleep for PSP
and Coded for japanese phones.

there was a blanked out Kingdom Hearts 3 on the wikia though.

marc

CF Legend
Kingdom Hearts 3 was meant to be coming out on the PS3 but this does not look like it's happening which is sad.

There is a huge demand for it but no known work.

kimahri

CF Legend
I have a feeling natal is going to be like the eyetoy. Good for a little while then everyone will forget about it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The wand will fail due to the fact the Eye Toy camera is poor in bad light conditions. It's not a good solution at all.

Plus, waving your arms around to play games? That's so 2007! ;)