What's new

The Games we play...

Ollie

CF Legend
PS3 is £220
Xbox is £190
Hardly anything in it at all and at least you know that extra £30 is going towards quality.

peep

CF Legend
PS3 has Blu ray = Win
Xbox 360 has no blu-ray = fail

Anyways, lets not get into that sticky mess.

I just played the PS3 demo of Up. Was ok, controls aren't amazing, my younger cousin will love it though. It's actually nothing like the film which is weird but it has the awesome soundtrack playing in the background, this makes me very happy. The characters have been done really well too, they carry the right tone of humour that is in the film. So it is good fun, not sure if I'll buy the full game though.

Ollie

CF Legend
^I didn't like the UP demo at all. Thought it was boring.
Anyway just completed Uncharted 2. The story is pretty long. Been playing it almost non-stop since I booted it up around 10:30am. It's almost impossible to put down as it's so much fun.
You already know my views on it but in case you missed it... IT'S AMAZING!!!. One of in not THE best game on PS3.
The story is so great that I'd never get bored just playing it over and over unlike most games where you can't be bothered to do a second run. Still got loads of trophies and things to unlock. Also online needs to be played. It's really good.
Got it pretty cheap as well. Got the collectors edition for £36 which comes in a metal case, has artwork, golden weapons for online play and also extra characters/costumes to play as online.
So yeah even though it's been out a day.
get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...

Easily gets 10/10

I know Big John was playing it for a bit today so hopefully he'll agree with me (can't see why not). :)

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Ollie said:
^I didn't like the UP demo at all. Thought it was boring.
Anyway just completed Uncharted 2. The story is pretty long. Been playing it almost non-stop since I booted it up around 10:30am. It's almost impossible to put down as it's so much fun.
You already know my views on it but in case you missed it... IT'S AMAZING!!!. One of in not THE best game on PS3.
The story is so great that I'd never get bored just playing it over and over unlike most games where you can't be bothered to do a second run. Still got loads of trophies and things to unlock. Also online needs to be played. It's really good.
Got it pretty cheap as well. Got the collectors edition for £36 which comes in a metal case, has artwork, golden weapons for online play and also extra characters/costumes to play as online.
So yeah even though it's been out a day.
get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...get it...

Easily gets 10/10

I know Big John was playing it for a bit today so hopefully he'll agree with me (can't see why not). :)

Couldn't agrre more with you there! The game is amazing, i haven't completed it yet as i was online for most of the night :--D

But easily 10/10

Ollie

CF Legend
^^I don't know where the hell you got that from Clammy. In my experiences it's always been my 360 that's got lag, broken, frozen and slowed down. I've not had a single problem with my PS3 in all the time I've had it. It runs smoothly and extremely quietly.
Everything the the 360 does PS3 does much better.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I have been playing the new football manager demo a lot this week and enjoying it very nicely, even though the match enginer still has it's rather traditional first incarnation problems, it's a decent start and usually it's built upon very well by SI...

Palace game here I come...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie said:
PS3 is £220
Xbox is £190
Hardly anything in it at all and at least you know that extra £30 is going towards quality.

You missed out
360 Wifi Adapter £70

Making the equivalent 360 £280, the Ps3 with Blu-Ray as an addition £220.

If you want the good 360 online experience, add on another £40 a year, but we'll ignore that and trade off Blu-Ray for the good online experience (horses for courses and all that).

Point is, the 360 is essentially now considerably more expensive than the Ps3 for equivalent machines.

I know, I've priced them up for Minor_Furie for Christmas and I just cannot justify the cost of a 360 for his room over the cost of getting him his own Ps3.

I'm still playnig Beatle Rock Band anyway - almost done :)

spicy

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
Uncharted 2. IT'S AMAZING!!!. One of in not THE best game on PS3.

Easily gets 10/10

He speaks the truth, really good game best I have played for a long time, really enjoying this one haven't tried it online yet either.

I didn't play Uncharted 1 so I thought I might not understand the story but its the same character on a different story but I might have to give Uncharted 1 a go once I have finished this.

Slash

Giga Poster
Been playing Left 4 Dead recently on the pc. Must say it's a great co op game that actually works. The tension is great and the need for a team is always there. The best bit about it is versus mode where you can play as special infected and as the hunter jump from a building and rip the nipples off of someone! Which turns the game from tense action game to a hilarious tactic game. Great fun!

Can't wait for Left 4 Dead 2!

9.5/10!

Steven

Giga Poster
furie said:
Ollie said:
PS3 is £220
Xbox is £190

You missed out
360 Wifi Adapter £70

Making the equivalent 360 £280, the Ps3 with Blu-Ray as an addition £220.

If you want the good 360 online experience, add on another £40 a year, but we'll ignore that and trade off Blu-Ray for the good online experience (horses for courses and all that).

Point is, the 360 is essentially now considerably more expensive than the Ps3 for equivalent machines.

I know, I've priced them up for Minor_Furie for Christmas and I just cannot justify the cost of a 360 for his room over the cost of getting him his own Ps3.

I'm still playnig Beatle Rock Band anyway - almost done :)

First off Furie 360 WiFi adapter £70 don't make me laugh. £30 they have gone down in competing retailers. Oh and Blue ray just get a seperate player for £50. Heck you can pick one up second hand for £30 if your really tight. Get your facts right. Over pricing is a big hate of mine.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Okay then!
So:

360 @£190
Wifi Adapter @ £30
Blue Ray Player @£50
To have the same as you have in a £220 Ps3, you pay £190+£30+£50 = £270

So is that better now that "my facts are right"? It's still either the same price, or worse value than the PS3 - FACT!

The overpricing issue is almost without fail aimed at the PS3, yet the truth for a long time now is that the PS3 is actually the better value machine - you get more gubbins for you buck.

By the way, can you post a link to a brand new Wifi adapter for £30 please? It may make the difference between Minor_Furie getting a 360 or not.

marc

CF Legend
Furie you also missed off the charge for online and the batteries for the controller.

You need to be very carefall what BluRay player you get, no all of them will support the updates needed for newer disks. PS3 will always be able to play the newer disks simply due to the fact Sony will make sure of this.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
Furie you also missed off the charge for online and the batteries for the controller.

I was doing like for like on value really. If you want basic gaming and HD films really.

To be honest, I think that XBox Live is well worth paying for, it's so much better than the Sony equivalent - you do indeed get what you pay for. Sony doesn't have the equivalent online offering to add into the equation.

As Kim says, 360 for online, PS3 for local play. I play maybe 8 hours a month online, so the 360 holds nothing for me on that side.

Though in the next major update, there's allegedly universal voice comms (so you can open voice chat which stays active no matter what you're doing, what game you're playing, etc). This will increase the amount I play, as at the moment, my friends and I have to set up laptops with Skype to play, which increases time taken to get ready to play, and decreases the chance of us doing it :lol:

I didn't know the 360 controllers needed batteries?