What's new

The Games we play...

kimahri

CF Legend
mrclam said:
Ollie said:
Also Xbox 360 may be getting it's own version of home. So after all this time of 360 owners slagging it off they're possibly getting their own version. :lol:

I think you'll find most people slag off home.. because its not actually very good..

That.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Lucidity on xbla (might be on PSN too - cant check as someones using my ps3).

Gameplay : Girl walks from left to right of the screen.. you place objects to help her get to the end. On the way you have to collect as many fireflies as possible, which means repeat plays of levels while you try to figure out how to get to them.

You dont have direct control of the items you can use, they appear randomly on right - so sometimes you have to think on your feet to get past an obstacle. You can save one object for use later with the B button.

OBjects include things like planks (walk over stuff), stairs (to walk up obviously), catapults to fly over gaps, fans which blow you upwards.. and bombs to blow up bad guys, etc etc.

Only been playing for 20 mins.. so far it's quite fun and surprisingly addictive.

Kinda like a cross between lemmings and sleepwalker.

DEFINATELY worth getting the demo to try it out - see if its yer bag.

Clam seal of recommendation.

Kebab

Giga Poster
mrclam said:
Ollie said:
Also Xbox 360 may be getting it's own version of home. So after all this time of 360 owners slagging it off they're possibly getting their own version. :lol:

I think you'll find most people slag off home.. because its not actually very good.. The xbox dashboard is bad in itself - but home is completely pointless.

The screenshots of it look crap as well. It uses those stupid characters you design and go round a Wii looking environment.

oh dear.. how old are you again?

At first glance; Home looked like a multiplayer version of The Sims. So the first hour of it I was hooked at what possibilities there were to it; there are actually some very clever ideas here! Some of the multiplayer mini-games aren't too bad (Pool, Bowling, Chess etc.), then you have this really weird Helicopter game on the other hand which epically fails. Arcade machines are accessible, in all fairness this is the best part of Home! You have some flashy style retro games such as the Super Breakout inspired Ice Breaker (my personal favourite), this really strange but innovative train puzzle, also a demo to Echochrome, and I'm sure there is one more but I don't know (early mornings)... :lol:

After an hour of gameplay you start to notice the realistic 3 Dimensional Habbo Hotel look-a-like Home to fail in many areas. The first one I noticed is that it felt a bit too compact; it would be nice to see another two towns with similar places, just to add that bit more to it. The cinema is another clever addition; go straight into a screening and stream trailers for specific films or games; but like most things about Home, it fails. You spend most of the time with the trailer stopping and starting so it can buffer a bit more; if that happened at Showcase Cinema I'd want my money back (shame you can't "buy" tickets on Home, get the simulated feeling of wanting your money back). If I had to rate Home I'd give it around 5/10; it's an extremely innovative and nice social experience at times (if you're not spammed with "have you got money I'll send you my boobs on a pic" request), shame it seems to die in certain subject areas. It's free after all!

I'll talk about the NXE soon and give you my opinion on that :)

Thanks,
Chris.

marc

CF Legend
John you might know this.

When is the demo out for the new F1 game? I have looked and looked but can still not find any good information about it.

Ollie

CF Legend
There's a new F1 game? Didn't they used to release one every year? Can't remember if there's been one since Championship Edition.

big john

Mega Poster
as far as im aware the game is nearly a year away so i wouldnt think anytime soone mate. Code masters are making it exclusive for psp forst from what iv heard and there also busy with grid 2 so could be nexy christmas before we get it. Thats not deffo though they could suprise us and bring it out sooner ill chech the date radar today at work and let ya know later if anything is confirmed yet

marc

CF Legend
EA Sports lost the contract and Sony took it over, they only made one game though.

The new one is by Codemasters and is due out next year on the PS3 and Xbox but there is just little info about it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Wii version is being coded alongside the PSP version. I wouldn't touch either with barge pole :lol:

When is the old PS3 F1 game going to come down in bloody price??? It's still like £30 second hand!!!!

Ollie, Rock Band from Amazon is only a tenner or something, so not much more on top of the band in a box price :)

marc

CF Legend
They recon March for the PS3 version, the only screen shots I can find are from the WII and they look rubbish.

I will just have to wait and keep on playing the Sony one I have :(

Pierre

Strata Poster
Check graingergames.co.uk furie I can't at the moment, blocked at work, they might have F1:CE cheap?

I paid around £15 pre-owned for it about a year and a half ago in gamestation???

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LOL! I don't actually want it, I thought it was poop. I have a mate who does though, so I always keep an eye out for him, but it's one of those games I've never managed to see cheap.

Will have a looksee on graingergames.co.uk for him though, cheers!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Two games I brought the other day for the Wii...

Dead Space:Extraction

Well this is a pleasant suprise, having not played Dead Space before I was not too sure on what to expect bar the whole 'zombies in space' thing, and considering this is just an on-rails shooter there isn't exactly much to yell about at first, hell I still move the control stick in an attempt to move around myself...

HOWEVER, so far I have been very entertained by it all, the two levels I've done so far have been of a good length, about 5-10 minutes so not too short and not too long, and of course the main part is the awesome atmosphere in the game, it has actually made me want the original game so that can't be all bad really?

Only 4 guns helps keep weapon choice limited which I think is good, as it's easier than trawling through lots of useless weapons as may occur in others, but with only Umbrella Chronicles to compare with, it's hard to say truthfully, but I would go on a limb to say Dead Space is certainly better, as it feels much less arcade-like as you move around a lot more and due to the shaky-cam it feels like you're moving properly, rather than the straight edge movement you normally get...

And lots of extras to get and challenges, so it gets a lovely 8/10

Fifa 10

A very hyped up year for Fifa, and leaving it last year I was interested to see how it worked...
Apparently the Wii one is vastly different overall (naturally) I am unsure if the others have this 'momentum' bar on it, but the Wii one is very very arcadey and easy to pick up, seems like they've gone slightly ott with some cases, for example, free kicks can actually be scored from the half way line with ease, I don't like the way set-pieces have been done in this game, as I preferred the whole skill you needed to aim and get the shot just right for the goal or whatever, so this disappoints me somewhat...

The manager mode is rather simple, you can sell your crap players without blinking an eye, then buy great 'transfer listed' players in return, why, because of the star system they use, it's actually ridiculous, I currently have players such as Dagoberto playing for Palace, which would never happen in real life championship games, so I'll leave that to Football Manager me thinks...

Overall the game is decent and easy to play, very nice for the casual gamer, but there isn't much depth and the set-pieces are annoying enough on medium, hard and above I can imagine lots of half way line goals being scored...

6.5/10

That's it all for now, I'm waiting for Football Manager 2010 now and damn looking forward to it, woot...

Ollie

CF Legend
Just a couple of quick reviews on the games I rented from Blockbuster last week.

Prince of Persia:
Rubbish game. Impossible to die and repetitive and boring to play. Although it has a few easy trophies.

Silent Hill: Homecoming:
Made up for how crap Silent hill 4 was. Had a great intro to the game and is pretty scary. Didn't have enough time to complete it though. Would of been nice to have seen a few more puzzles in the game and also the creatures were hard to kill later on as there's hardly any health and ammo in the game so you spent most the time with a pipe of axe equipped and there's some annoying creatures that keep blocking all your attacks until you dodge there's and hit them on the side. Quite good though. :)

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars:
Really good game for the DS. It's massive. It's fun to drive around and the interactions with the touch screen are great. It's not got a very strong story though and most of it is just buying and selling drugs for people.

Game rented for this week is Mirrors Edge. So that should keep me going for a while until Uncharted 2 comes out in a week. :)

kimahri

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Silent Hill: Homecoming:
Made up for how crap Silent hill 4 was. Had a great intro to the game and is pretty scary. Didn't have enough time to complete it though. Would of been nice to have seen a few more puzzles in the game and also the creatures were hard to kill later on as there's hardly any health and ammo in the game so you spent most the time with a pipe of axe equipped and there's some annoying creatures that keep blocking all your attacks until you dodge there's and hit them on the side. Quite good though. :)

Do what you're supposed to do in Silent Hill games.

Run.

Ollie

CF Legend
^I got to a bit where to you had to kill three creatures at once that were chasing me. I had no health drinks and no ammo. And you had to kill them to bring out the bigger creature which when killed opened the door. So I was pretty stuck really. And I hardly ever used my guns at all unless to make an emergency escape.

kimahri

CF Legend
Last boss of Batman is FAIL!

Seriously, what the hell?! It was a ****e final boss. What ever happend to the bosses where you had to work to beat it by dieing a whole bunch and learning it patterns and actually requiring skill to beat it.

At least the rest of the game was good and the riddler challenges were fun to do.