What's new

The Games we play...

Ollie

CF Legend
^I know it could of been harder but it still doesn't stop the game from being totally amazing.

Just completed Mirrors Edge. It was alright I guess. I really like the first person camera but some parts of the game are extremely frustrating with her not doing actions when you tell her to or not knowing where to go next. The ending was a bit sudden as well.
Oh well. Might as well go and get the other trophies and attempt to get my 6th platinum. :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Sorry for the double post. Got some more rock-band questions. If anyone can help answer them It'll be appreciated. :)

-Even though I've been told 1 is better. Isn't it best to buy RB2 and then import the songs from the first one over? Or do you actually have to own the first one to do so?
-How fun is it to play on your own if you can get friends round often to play with you?
-How easy are the instruments to store away? How long is assembly time for the drums?
-Will the RB instruments work with the guitar Hero games (World Tour and 5 etc)?
-Are the instruments wired or wireless?
-What are the extra frets for on the RB guitar?

This is what I'm looking at. Is this the best one to get for the PS3? (i.e price/content).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... d_i=468294

Thanks if you can help.

On a side note the time trials and speed run are ****ing impossible on Mirrors Edge. I ran a level flat out without falling or having a hard landing in 8:30 and the target time is 6:00. How the feck are you meant to do that?

big john

Mega Poster
right mr ollie here goes lol

01. if you have RB 2 and buy the import key to import rockband 1 songs you dont need the rockband 1 disk afterwards as far as im aware but at some point you need to have it to import the songs and it does not import every song it leaves the best ones off so its still best to have the first disk full stop

2. it ace to lay on your own you look a tit if you sing on your own but if your on your own whos there to see lol. I usualy have a crack at drums or guitar whne im in the mood

3. the guitars ar one piece the drums have quick relese clips so you can just pop em together when ya want about 2 mins to put up.

4. the instruments will work with any rythem game you just need to update said rythem game when you put it in ps3 it will do this and off ya go. Yes guitar hero drums have 5 pads and rockband have 4 but the game remaps to the drums its actually quite clever even though the game is **** lol.

5. the guitar is wireless the drums are wired and the mic is wired unless you get the rockband 2 kit which is hard to get and mega mega expensive and everything is wireless.

6. the extra fret buttons are used for guitar solos only when you have a solo in RB you can swith to these buttons and not strum just tap the frets as some solos are actually mental lol its quite a cool idea to drop the hammer lol also at ends of songs you get big rock endings where you can play anything at all as long as you hit the last not it gives you right you get tons of points so these buttons come in handy so you can drop the hammer again without strumming. (can also be done on drums to). Hope this answers eveything and if ya want the drum silencers for £5 let me know lol

Ollie

CF Legend
Ok thanks. So if you played a guitar hero game with the RB drums how do you play the 5th note that the GH drum has?
And if I ordered it from Amazon now would there be a risk of it coming late or not turning up because of the postal strikes (I haven't been following them, just heard they're on).
And maybe about the drum silencers. Although I'd probably have to give you the fiver at GF or something.

kimahri

CF Legend
I'm starting to get into and MMORPG... *gasp*

Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE.

It's Free to play, a million times better than runescape and the demon recriting thing is awesome. I have a little mini army of a dog thing, a pixie and a paper floaty flying thing called a kodama. It's also set in a post apocalyptic landscape!

http://megaten.aeriagames.com/ Get it here.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I've been playing some old PC games recently. In particular, Tropico all the way for 2001 :shock:

It's such an awesome game for it's age, and still is great for game play time and fun :)

big john

Mega Poster
Ollie Wrote
So if you played a guitar hero game with the RB drums how do you play the 5th note that the GH drum has?

Big John Wrote in his answers above
Yes guitar hero drums have 5 pads and rockband have 4 but the game remaps to the drums its actually quite clever even though the game is lol.

Id prob have to bring the silensers to GF too lol hehe lemme know

Ollie

CF Legend
^I know you answered it but I wasn't sure what you meant. So that means if you play GH with the RB drums only 4 of the 5 notes/pads will come up on screen?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Been playing Beatles Rock Band over the weekend. It's odd, I thought I knew my Beatles stuff, but it's amazing how little you actually know the songs when it comes to singing them :lol:

Anyway, what can I say? The presentation level of this game is absolutely stunning. It surpasses Dirt 2 which is one of the best presented games I've ever seen.

The game just oozes such an exceptional level of professional design and implementation - it's truly awesome. They've treated the subject matter with a real reverence, it's not ham fisted or botched, it's just brilliant. So good to the point that when Minor_Furie visited the Beatles Experience in Liverpool on Saturday, he recognised things. Really, really brilliant.

As for the game? Well, it does depend entirely on how much you like the Beatles. I'm a bit hit and miss to be honest, but it's still worth it for the two or three tracks per "gig" you will know and like. Those I don't know so much (or find difficult to sing, some of it is very hard), we just play as a guitar/drum duo rather than me singing too. It's everything Rock Band should be, fun, loud and convincing.

While the difficulty may not go high enough for experts, it's still challenging enough for us and we're both enjoying it. It's going to be fun trying to crack those bonuses.

So, all in all, if you like the Beatles - well worth investing in! 3/5 if you don't, 5/5 if you do :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Just ordered RB1 and the kit on Amazon. Should arrive tomorrow (1 month free trial of Amazon Prime.) :)
An added bonus as well is when looking at the mail from Amazon confirming my purchase. They've given me a £10 discount for some reason on the Band in a box kit which makes the total of the game and kit £62. :) This also means I can spend the extra £10 I saved on the drum silencers and pretend it came with it.
John I'm not sure about your drum silencers as even though It'd be cheaper to get it from you It'd mean I'd have to wait till GF to get them as the only way I can pay without putting cash in the post is paypal or cheque. So I may just have to search around for the cheapest place to get them online.
These are the drum silencers I may get? http://miniurl.org/1jG Are those the best ones?
Also once I get the drum silencers how do you put them on the drums?
And will my GH3 guitar work as an extra guitar for RB?

The only thing is now when it arrives I still need to try and get the Mirrors Edge Platinum and when I give it back on Friday Uncharted 2 will be out so I'll probably be playing that for ages lol.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
URL is borked Ollie, so I don't know if they're the best. Mine are official Rock Band branded ones. They have a sticky backing and you just lay them down, very simple and they make a big difference. They're still loud though, well, they are when I play them :)

I use a GH3 guitar for a second guitar, but both me and Minor_Furie prefer the Rock Band one - It's got a flappy strum bar, but just works - something the GH3 guitar never did very well :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, those are the ones I have :)

They're better than the plain drums, but maybe you won't mind? Try before you buy :)

big john

Mega Poster
yep there the ones i have spare too as furie said try beofr you buy you might not want them but if ya do i have spares ones lol never been used hehehe lol

kimahri

CF Legend
Yesterday I recived KH 358/2 Days From play.com. I played it for 20 minutes and my batteris died and I could find any of the 3 chargers we have. FUN!

I also felt like giving The World Ends With You a try.

One more thing. I'm Starting to get back into Digital Devil Saga. Definatly one of the more mature JRPG's I've play and is quite emotional early on in the game. Hopefully the rest of the game will be as good.

Ollie

CF Legend
Well it arrived today. :)
Saw the delivery man hauling a massive box up the path to our house so knew what it was straight away lol.
Unpacking stuff was fun. As was putting it all together. But annoyingly as soon as I had it all set up my mum sent me off into town so I didn't get to go on it until a couple of hours later. Did the drum tutorials and did the Weezer song first. My first few on it is that it's good. It takes a while to get the hang of the drums as the note for the foot pedal messes up my timing sometimes and throws me off but I'll guess I'll get used to it with practise. I love the way the crowd starts singling along when you do well. It feels much more real than Guitar Hero 3 did. Going to work through the career on drums on easy first to unlock all the songs.
Also where do you get the 'Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld' song? Is it DLC (free or paid?)? or is it already on the game? Haven't had much chance to play it much as as soon as I got going I had to leave to go to the cinema with some friends. Will hopefully get to go on it more tomorrow.
I'm glad I've got the kit now as I can ask for RB2 and Beatles Rock Band for Christmas. :)

Ollie

CF Legend
I can't stress enough right now how amazing Uncharted 2 is. The graphics are absolutely stunning and are amazing to look at. Especially in the snow levels. It probably has one of the most action packed tutorials ever and the gameplay is amazing.
Characters are believable and the scripting is top notch. It's just so polished and perfect.
I never thought they could top what they did with the first game. I was wrong this one is loads better than the first and is just great to play. Go buy it now. :D