What's new

The Games we play...

kimahri

CF Legend
Apparently Gametap has the publishing rights to Panzer Dragoon Saga. Then again, I'm not entirely sure what gametap is.

Is it like Steam where you pay for your game and it's stored on an account or what ever.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pierre said:
Yeah my mate said it was 25 biff! Shame I'm skint.

Anyways, because I'm skint its demo review time!

Need for Speed SHIFT;

I wrote this review for my Grid racing buddies :)

Really not good at all. For everything it lacks in control finesse, it makes up for by being massively loud. It's like they went "this is crap boys, how can we make people not notice? I know, we'll turn the volume up to 11 so nobody can hear the cursing".

You know in Grid, when you are on a straight and want to go left or right a bit to overtake? You just tap the stick a little and it moves. If you push it right over you'll try to turn and spin out?

On NFS:S, gonig down a straight at speed feels like you're controlling a brick on a spring on a train track propelled by a rocket. So you tap to move over a little, and the car just wobbles. So you tap again a bit more, and it just wobbles some more. You have to put the stick pretty much entirely to the side to get it to over take and the car just kind of floats to the side.

Then in a corner, it turns. But it's like one of those old video based games. You know, where you have to press left at a certain time to get it to play the right scene (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc). So you go into a corner (still feeling like you're on a train track) and you have to just kind of nudge the stick at the right time and press the accelerator at the right time. Fail, and the back end just suddenly slips out. You have no warning it's about to happen, it just does. At no time in the four or five races I played, did I feel I was at any point in control of the car.

Real shame because the game looks great. Not as convinced by the damage or physics as with Grid either.

To be honest, I think that they're tried to straddle the line between the fun of Grid, and the realism of Gran Tourismo. It just ends up not being as touch and go exciting as Grid, but has all the dullness of GT without the reward of you knowing what you're doing is very true to life.

And on to a relation to Clam's post. I played Day of the Tentacle with Minor_Furie over the weekend.

I lost my copy years ago, but while doing something else on the net, I found a version! Hurrah!

It's no where near as long as I remembered it to be. It took three of us almost three weeks to complete on release. Though remembering most of the puzzles that had us stumped made it somewhat easier :D

Still the best game of this type I've played. It hangs together so well, it's tough without being abstract and is brilliantly written and directed (well, directed in as much as a simply animated game can be).

I never really enjoyed Monkey Island games, just didn't really gel with them, but DOTT, Sam and Max, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango I did. So, I think Sam and Max or Full Throttle next weekend :)

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
So the main characters filename was "guy.brush"

Wow, you learn something new everyday :)

I've been playing the point'n click Ben there, Dan that, Its good, and i love the references to other games of the genre... Its just a bit bare. Not much to look at. But for a couple of quid for the free one and the not free sequal... im not complaining, and its pretty funny so far.

kimahri

CF Legend
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days is coming out on friday. Anyone planning on getting it?

Also anyone played The World Ends With You on the DS? (and have already asked that?)

mrclam

Giga Poster
On one hand - i love kingdom hearts

on the other hand, i dont like playing big sprawling games on a handheld.. I personally think ds games should be short simple pick up and play affairs.

So doubtful

Im excited by the concept art for the new mickey mouse though (see any games website today)

Ollie

CF Legend
Here's a video showing the first 5 minutes gameplay of Saw.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iua9xsQ5_Dk[/youtube]
It looks alright but nothing amazing. Will probably be one to rent rather then spent lots of money on to buy it when it comes out.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
My Xbox came back already from being fixed! I put in World at War so I could shave off the rust, and one match, I got five recon planes and three air strikes. Another match, I got six recon planes.

Ollie

CF Legend
I just got reminded today why I hate Game so much.
A week or so ago I brought the new Professor Layton game for £33 the day it came out. Anyway looking through the trade in book (before this game had come out) I saw that if you traded in games you got quite alot for games that you had completed if they were still pretty new.
Anyway today I went in to trade in PL and asked how much I'd get for it. I was expecting something no less than £20 at a push as it's still only been out for a short amount of time.
So when the woman at the till (who was really hot by the way) said I'd only get £13 for it I was really pissed off. Anyway she put the amount on a gift card for me to use towards another game.
She then went on talking about the game I'd just traded in asking if I had completed it already and then she went on to say that it wasn't very good and was silly compared to the last one. I was thinking "You're meant to be selling games, not slagging them off in front of a queue of people".
Anyway yeah Game is **** and it reminded me why I never shop there anymore.
Their prices are really expensive. I went round looking at some of the other games and they were selling pre-owned games like LBP for £20 when you can buy it BRAND NEW for about £7 elsewhere. It's crazy and I'm surprised they're still selling stuff as most shops online and other stores sell the games for less.
[/rant]

big john

Mega Poster
^^^ now this is where i stick my boot in sorry ollie but just cause the staff in your local game are idiots dont mean the whole company is. As a senior member of mangement at game i do know quite a few things on this subject.
1. No idea where your getting your LBP info from as it sells pre-owned for £7.99 and new for £19.
2. yes some of our prices are expensive but to say that is our fault is wrong the publisher sets the price and we stick to it if we sold games at £25 like tesco and asda we would lose money (which the supermarkets do)BTW.

Fro example asda buy a job lot of fifa10 from irleand or spain which comes to this country as pal games they pay £25 per game and sell at £27 then when you come to our shop to trade them in most of them will not scan for trade as technicly they are not english this happens quite a lot and people get rather pissed about it when we turn them away.
so what we do is take the RRP from the publisher and sell at that and people have the choice and let me tell you most buy from game if our fifa launch was anything to go buy we sold 437 copys of the game in 5 hours so we are doing something right.
3. as for the girl saying PL was rubbish. The official policy at game is if people ask if a game is good you say yes even if you havent played it or not now what tends to happen when the big managers are not around is we actually tell the truth when guys come to me and ask is this game any good i will tell em straight no its **** dont waist ya money. I like to be truthfull and give good customer care and then that customer becomes loyal and comes back.

So dont tarnish all game just cause you dont like the staff in yours the right thing to do is complain about your local shop not everyone in the company.

end rant

Ollie

CF Legend
Well it wasn't really about the one store. It just seems that everything Game sells you can get for better value everywhere else. And I'm not sure why your store has different prices for pre-owned games. Do the stores get given lists on what to price games or is it up to each individual store?
And the girl was telling me about the game after I had already completed it. Yes it wasn't as good as the first one but it was still great fun to play and I don't regret buying it. Everyone has different opinions.
Also I don't understand why I got so little for a trade in. Even the girl at the till said it's a shame I didn't get more for it. I probably would of got more selling it on Ebay.
It's not that I'm having a go at all Game stores it used to be one of my favourite shops when I was younger. It's just that it's good for browsing but it's not that good value apart from the odd bargain in the baskets they have.

So dont tarnish all game just cause you dont like the staff in yours the right thing to do is complain about your local shop not everyone in the company.
And I wasn't having a go at the staff. She was really friendly and helped. It was just I was wondering if she was allowed to say things like that or not.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Ollie, don't you have more than one computer games store in town, if so why did you accept £13?

Its because people happily get shafted up the arse rather than shop around, stores can get away with being a little stingy.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Nope. It's the only place you can get games in our town. That's why I always buy them online. Woolworths used to but you don't anymore for obvious reasons. :p

big john

Mega Poster
All GAME stores are unified on prices there could have always been a mistake on the price we get it quite often there are thousands of products in our store and some get priced wrong sometimes it happens. As for the PL game it does actually return at trade in at £25 IF you trade it for the next PL game we have these offers quite often but people just decide not to read the leflets or posters properly thats all and its not as if you where made to trade it in that was your choice to accept £13 so why bitch about game its not there fault its yours for trading it in we only offer we do not make you. anyways it DOES sound like its your local shop that has problem which if you will tell me which one it is it will then be added to the Game hitlist of stores to improve, Which coming the new year i will be heading up this team and traveling round stores to get all GAME and GAMESTATION stores in compliance with our cutomer service promise. Anyways on another note Brutal legends if amazing eveyone must buy it its just an amazing game. Also just finished WET i picked this up cheap with my discount just to fill in time till uncharted 2 and i must say wasnt expecting much. It wasnt a massive groundbreaking game but it was fun and to me thats what gaming is about FUN so i recomend but pick it up cheep its a good laugh off to finish eat lead and some of my other older games now so i can trade em in for uncharted 2 lol

Ollie

CF Legend
^The Brutal Legend Demo was great fun and it's a game I'd love to get. Does it have anything else after the story worth keeping it for. Or would you recommend it being better to rent it for a week to get to see everything that it offers?

Anyway I absolutely cannot wait for Uncharted 2. I've heard it's much better than the first game and that's one of my favourite games ever so this should be sensational.
That should fill my time until Modern Warfare 2 comes out. Hopefully ASDA will do a deal like they did with WaW. I remember getting that on the day it came out for only £20. :)

I wasn't overly impressed by the Wet demo. I've been interested in it when I was reading about it in magazines when it was still in development but the demo disappointed me and I didn't find it fun to play.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Guitar Hero 5. I'm not quite sure about this in all fairness.

I do find the setlist rather sucky, with only a few songs standing out; on the other hand the game is absolutely solid and the guitar tracks are much more "Guitar Hero" (unlike the mostly riff-friendly World Tour poop).

Take a look at Children of Bodom for example, easily competing to be one of the hardest songs in Guitar Hero history!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOSYs4NJ870[/youtube]

Got one of most insane GH solos ever!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm never, ever getting a "Hero" game again.

I wasted £10 on the dull, soul wrenching pap that is "World Tour". Seriously has to be one of the most depressing, flat, miserable rhythm action experiences of my life.

These games are supposed to be exciting, fun, social and enjoyable. I got World Tour for a tenner last week and I actually want to throw it in the bin (I'll try and get three quid on trade in or something).

If you have a poor/eclectic track list, then you need to give the player at least a few good tracks at the start, or just open the entire game up. Sitting through some of the worst songs, by middle of the road bands (Orange Crush by REM. Bland Nirvana, please?) is just torture. You just feel like you're hitting those little dots to make the pain and boredom go away.

Okay, so I'll try a few modes. Guitar is guitar and drums are drums. These games all rely on you liking the songs to get the most from them surely? Well, not really. Though I always find at least two songs per "level" I enjoy (before this bit of crap), the other songs tend to be upbeat and good enough to just enjoy playing anyway.

For both guitar and drum single player, the songs are just dreadful. There's nothing stand out enjoyable for the first two levels (I don't know about more, because I'd lost the will to live by now).

So, tried multiplayer. We're big fans of Rock Band multiplayer. Not of World Tour Multiplayer. Again, very poor initial track list. It took us until level 3 before we could find a song anyone wanted to take part on for vocals. That's almost an hours play before we have a full band wanting to join. There has never been a single Rock Band track we haven't been able to find somebody to want to have a crack at the vocals on.

On to single player vocals then. This is always a bit hit and miss, more so than the drums and guitar. Unlike those, you can't simply sing a coloured note :lol: You really have to know the song a bit to be able to do it. Fortunately, the sets here are a bit better and I do know a couple of the songs. However, it just feels really flat. This is where you notice the biggest problem with World Tour - it's not loud or deep enough. There's something really flat about the entire game.

In Rock Band, you find that you actually feel as though you're on that stage, belting out these songs to the crowd. It's vibrant, there's a lot of extra noise around and it just sounds right. It has the correct feel.

World Tour feels like you're taking part in some kind of science experiment. It's very sterile.

I've always played these games for fun. Never to see what I can technically achieve. The play mechanics of Guitar Hero may (I'm no expert, so may) be more technically competent, but Neversoft have drained the life, guts and fun from the series. You do just feel like you're standing there hitting buttons at the right time. It should never feel like that, it should always feel as though you're performing - it's what it's emulating.

So, not even worth £10.

I've ordered Beatles Rock Band to replace it (my band in Rock Band is struggling as we need a good drummer to do the later levels :lol: ). I have no doubt that we'll know at least some of the songs this time ;)

Ollie

CF Legend
What's the cheapest you can pick up rock band for now with all the instruments?
Also is it better to get Rock Band 1 or 2?
And with all the DLC in the PSstore does that work for both of the games or only the later versions?