What's new

The Games we play...

kimahri

CF Legend
Oh, cheer up and being all moody. We were all having a nice civil argument about games in the game thread about expasive series and if they're repetetive or not and you come along and complain and be all moany.

As a continuation to this conversation we were having the main series of final fantasy keeps changing as well with the power of the generations. If you compair the stories alone you can see that they all vary from game to game.

FFI deals with breaking the mould of saving the princess and eventually goes around with time travel.
FFII is about war.
FFIII starts the trend and darkness and light being balanced.
FFIV starts getting more complex with the newer generation and has multiple stories revolving around each character.
FFV I'm not far enough in yet but it deals with warriors of light (see 3) and the void.
FFVI Is amazing and fills loads of themes. Madness, Depression, Love and being the only one of your kind or something (could think of the word)
FFVII is about emoness and mama's boys
FFVIII War and Love
FFXI is more of a retrospective and I haven't played it.
FFX is where it changes alot. Sure there is a stong love over tone but there is alot of rejection to religion in it.
FFXI. I have no clue. I refuse to play it.
FFXII gets all political.

ramble ramble.

The battle systems are also tweeked and sometimes completely reworked.

I'm done.

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
If you like jumping on the heads of crap enemies, then you get a LOT of it in a Mario game, many hours worth of it. If you like blowing the heads off aliens and living as a character through a story, then you can do it, but in much smaller doses - so you need more versions of that to be produced.

Difference is.. There are VERY few GOOD games like the (real) mario games.

But there are thousands upon thousands of dull easy "mainstream" shooters :lol:

The main difference is in the level design and variety - if you look at galaxy properly and dont just immediately dismiss it as looking boring or a kids game - and look at the variety in the levels, the interesting environments, the imagination which went into it.. And compare that against a grey shooter on endless corridors, there is a big difference.

I'm not trying to convert anyone or anything here. Personally I couldnt care less what people play or dont play.

My original point was the whole games industry has gone mainstream. And just like all other forms of entertainment, when they go mainstream - if you look at them - music gets "mainstream" easy to digest pop acts like the sugababes, films get "mainstream" easy to digest films like tat like transformers.

And the games industry gets "mainstream" easy to digest games like generic shooters, racers and sports games..

Not necessarily a bad thing, but the days of popular "hardcore" games are well and truely over. Which is why i find it ironic when i hear mainstream gamers who play all these shooters moaning about stuff like wii music (which i think is a great game for the age group its aimed at), and wii fit.

EDIT : PS, i've almost finally finished mario galaxy with luigi (5 more stars to go).. and i think i dont think i've jumped on a single enemies head.. Maybe one or two... So me thinks you very probably havent even played it furie .. so ner ner ner ner.. I cant remember surfing on the back of a stingray in the original mario either.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Game recommendations:

I'm currently really enjoying "trials HD" on 360 arcade.

It's as infuriating as hell... but at the same time has that "just one more go" element

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I put about five or six hours into Mario Galaxy actually. I loved the design and the way it was made and everything, but I just find leaping around tedious.

Now, I hope you're not going to tell me that 3D Adventure games aren't around in their thousands? There are many more than there are shooters, and they're always much worse.

Like "Real Mario" games are the best of the platformers, people also think Halo, et al are the best of the shooters. They play other shooters, but the best of them sell. Like I don't enjoy Mario (or shooters for that matter), you may just be writing off agenre because it's not your thing - whereas for the shooter equivalent of Mario fans, they can't get enough of high quality shooters.

The issue with "hard core gaming" is that it had to finish because it was being repeated ad infinitum - only without any real addition to the genres coming through. You have to be careful of sitting still and stagnating in a single point of time. I played a lot of games over a lot of years (Shoot 'em ups being my particular thang). I've played so many and put so much time into them, I just don't want to play them any more. They offer very little reward to me now, it's just the same thing - different graphics, different patterns.

I will still load up R-Type every once in a while for nostalgia's sake, or Space Harrier. However, I don't yearn for those games anymore - they filled their spot during their high period and now that time has moved on.

Nostalgia is a good thing, but it shouldn't impose itself on trying to force the future. What's gone should remain for those few who like it.

Mario transcends this (as New Super Mario has shown), but I believe that's a new form of nostalgia running it anyway. It's become cool to like Mario again, so parents who had a SNES or Gameboy are buying a DS or Wii and reliving their youth, and influencing their kids into the games too. Both minor_Furies love Mario games. They're charming, endearing and are easy to pick up and play (difficult to master). However, they're still the same thing they were 30 years ago - it's just that there are fewer releases (as I stated above) due to the length and longevity of a platformer - compared to a shooter and the like.

Is Trials like that shareware game everyone had on the PC about five years ago? Side scrolling trials bike going over obstacles, with rag doll physics to make it interesting?

I'm still chugging through Dirt 2. The racing genre is the only one that does seem to be making in roads in my opinion. You're still driving those cars, but the physics models are exceptionally important. As technology gets better, the handling is improved and you feel more and more like you're actually racing a car. While Halo is still pretty much Quake, Dirt 2 is a long way removed from say, the original Sega Rally. Or maybe it isn't :lol:

It's a great game anyway - I've been living in a love/hate relationship with it for a couple of weeks now. I keep on going back though and I'm determined to complete it. So it must have something about it. However, once I'm done completing it, I have no plans on keeping it.

mrclam

Giga Poster
I tired of this discussion :lol: always ends up goign around in circles.

You like mainstream drivel fps/racing games.. i like hardcore platformers... End of argument :lol:

(kidding obviously)

BTW : Anyone in uk had one of those Train2Game ads thru the door? I wont say what i think of them, as their love of lawsuits seems to be right up there with the Scientology lot.

But here's what happens when you sign up for more info.. Some dodgy geezer bloke from "Snatch" comes around to scope out your gaming equipment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvcvFL6zRb4&

3 parter..

I learned something new though.. Bungie is apparently a uk based company

davidm

Strata Poster
Sort of related to the thread....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n1j8q

Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe - might be worth a looksee to see Mr Brooker have a go at the games industry...?

Broadcasts

1. Tue 29 Sep 2009 22:00 BBC Four
2. Wed 30 Sep 2009 01:50 BBC Four
3. Thu 1 Oct 2009 23:20 BBC Four
4. Fri 2 Oct 2009 03:00 BBC Four
5. Mon 5 Oct 2009 22:50 BBC Four

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Uncharted 2 Multiplayer demo out now! Hurrah!

The game is getting rave reviews as well, but I don't know if I believe the hype machines. Still ,the first one was a cracking game, so I guess if the second is all that only better?

marc

CF Legend
I loved the 1st game, but thats all that was really out for the PS3 at the time lol.

I would probably get the 2nd one as I really enjoyed everything about the 1st one until them zombie things.

I have not yet downloaded the demo, must do that tonight.

peep

CF Legend
My Mum has been playing the new Professor Layton game on the DS. She absolutely loved the first one and she had to have this ASAP. She seems to be enjoying it although she says it is very easy compared to the first game. Oh well.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Just watched that charlie brooker thing (the wonders of youtube).

Was fun they mentioned 2 games i've been working with recently! YAY! Finally some recognition! lol

I also liked the way rab and ryan pretty much said what i've been saying - old school games were inventive, original, etc - and modern games are grey and brown shooters. Again YAY me!!! lol

Felt like it could easily be made into a series, as opposed to a one off.

Good stuff.

Smithy

Strata Poster
In regards to 'Fifa not offering anything new'. That's not true at all, the difference between 08 and 09 and now 09 and 10 are noticeable and worthwhile. Clubs mode, Be a Pro mode, Virtual Pro, all are completely new game modes for the new game which offer hundreds of hours of gameplay. They all play differently as well, shooting, tackling, dribbling etc... It's harsh to lump then in together with ****e like Halo which is just the same game year after year with new maps.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
mrclam said:
I also liked the way rab and ryan pretty much said what i've been saying - old school games were inventive, original, etc - and modern games are grey and brown shooters. Again YAY me!!! lol

Still smells of old fart nostalgia syndrome to me.

Music used to be better too, and the TV - and don't talk to me abotu the rubbish they call films these days.

Also, Cola bottles are much smaller! ;)

Smithy - any eager Halo player will also tell you that each version offers so much more enjoyment and a huge amount of improvements with each version. Just because you're not a fan and don't see it, doesn't mean they're not there for those who do enjoy the game.

This is the crux of the point really, every game, is by nature, repetitive within it's genre when you look in from the outside.

I'm biased, because every single game of real football to me is exactly the same as any other. I can't understand why anyone would want to watch one game, let alone hundreds.

So the Fifa games are the same. Surely each game in a league is just the same as the last game? You follow the same patterns and do the same things, match after match after match after match. Does it not get boring after a couple of hours?

At least with a shooter/racing game/platformer you get different level layouts, cars, tracks, enemies, power ups - etc to keep things interesting :)

What do I know though, I don't even know how many of the games have been released :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
furie said:
Uncharted 2 Multiplayer demo out now! Hurrah!

The game is getting rave reviews as well, but I don't know if I believe the hype machines. Still ,the first one was a cracking game, so I guess if the second is all that only better?
I CANNOT wait for that game. The first one was amazing and I love playing it even now as the single player and story is just so strong and it's just great fun. I've heard great things about the second one as well. I've been told it's LOADS better than the first and is much more impressive. I'll definitely be buying it when it comes out.

Peep said:
My Mum has been playing the new Professor Layton game on the DS. She absolutely loved the first one and she had to have this ASAP. She seems to be enjoying it although she says it is very easy compared to the first game. Oh well.
I completed it today. It is much easier than the first one but I found it more enjoyable as there were less of those stupidly complex maths equations and more of those awesome animated cut scenes and voice acting. Also I didn't see the twist coming and it totally took me by surprise. It also leaves a few questions unanswered but I guess we'll find out in the next one. :)

It's annoying as in Japan they're on the 4th Professor Layton game and there's a film either out or coming out. It's so annoying.

kimahri

CF Legend
Looky looky on that Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe.

19480529.jpg

Touhou 7 Perfect Cherry Blossom! Looks like they were doing it on either the Extra Stage or Phantasm. I doubt they unlocked Phantasm.

mrclam

Giga Poster
kimahri said:
Looky looky on that Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe.

Touhou 7 Perfect Cherry Blossom! Looks like they were doing it on either the Extra Stage or Phantasm. I doubt they unlocked Phantasm.

If you dont stop going on about the same shmups over and over again.. i'm gonna start advertising again! :lol: