What's new

The Games we play...

mrclam

Giga Poster
kimahri said:
Play Asia has a compatibility guide. I'm not too familiar with it but if they says it'll work, it'll work?

Usually yes.. what are you looking at buying?

(prepares to be shocked by some japanese school girl game)

kimahri

CF Legend
Mushihimesama Futari.

Or to everyone else.

"That game where the entire screen is filled with purple bullets"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70iFdnI-xfA[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
mrclam said:
Id agree with you.. but at the same time, i strongly believe that gamers dont actually want new, original fun games. Gamers just want to play the same carbon copy fps games featuring some faceless bloke in a helmet over and over and over again.

100% agree, but when you look at the EA games, with Madden and Fifa both on version 10!!!

Each year's release is just a minor tweak to last years. People are starting to see through this now and are actually realising it's just the same game in essence.

The shooters? Well, I think they're all much of a muchness, but if you enjoy walking through corridors and shooting things - then having slightly different graphics, or slightly different characters and story is appealing.

I love driving games, even though it's rare there's much real difference between any of them. I play enough to be able to spot the difference in handling, AI, etc. I guess it's the same for shooters, only I don;t enjoy them so don't play them enough.

Even so, there is a massive world of difference between Halo and Halo 3 and several years of development in between. So it's not like (until ODST?) even Halo is a "yearly update" yet.

Mentioning Mario is a good thing. Mario is regularly updated, and still the best of that type. Yet it's essentially the same. It also hasn't killed off the platform market. Jak and Daxter is Mario 64 in basic essence, but we have genres and that's the end of it. In the same way you think Mario is the best platforming gets, 360 owners think Halo is the best shooters get. However, if there was a new Mario every year where it was the same game, same levels, but tweaked controls or new power ups (which is essentially what EA do with their WHATEVER 14 games) then people WILL become sick and tired of it eventually.

There's a difference between creating a generic game within a genre and pushing the same game with tweaks constantly.

nealbie

CF Legend
furie said:
100% agree, but when you look at the EA games, with Madden and Fifa both on version 10!!!

Furie, you severely disappoint me. The FIFA series is at least 15 years old, probably older as I have the '95 game for the Mega Drive and I'm sure that wasn't the first :lol:

Games Guru, you are not. It's like my dream has died :cry:

mrclam

Giga Poster
17 Fifa games in 14 years.

And i'd also argue against the fact that halo has changed much at all over the years in anything other than graphics

A

Anonymous

furie said:
mrclam said:
Id agree with you.. but at the same time, i strongly believe that gamers dont actually want new, original fun games. Gamers just want to play the same carbon copy fps games featuring some faceless bloke in a helmet over and over and over again.

Each year's release is just a minor tweak to last years. People are starting to see through this now and are actually realising it's just the same game in essence.

The shooters? Well, I think they're all much of a muchness, but if you enjoy walking through corridors and shooting things - then having slightly different graphics, or slightly different characters and story is appealing.

I love driving games, even though it's rare there's much real difference between any of them. I play enough to be able to spot the difference in handling, AI, etc. I guess it's the same for shooters, only I don;t enjoy them so don't play them enough.

Even so, there is a massive world of difference between Halo and Halo 3 and several years of development in between. So it's not like (until ODST?) even Halo is a "yearly update" yet.

Mentioning Mario is a good thing. Mario is regularly updated, and still the best of that type. Yet it's essentially the same. It also hasn't killed off the platform market. Jak and Daxter is Mario 64 in basic essence, but we have genres and that's the end of it. In the same way you think Mario is the best platforming gets, 360 owners think Halo is the best shooters get. However, if there was a new Mario every year where it was the same game, same levels, but tweaked controls or new power ups (which is essentially what EA do with their WHATEVER 14 games) then people WILL become sick and tired of it eventually.

There's a difference between creating a generic game within a genre and pushing the same game with tweaks constantly.

You said that people will get bored of it eventually, which people will, unless major changes are made, I bought Fifa 09 and the last one I owned was Fifa '98, and I was amazed at the detailing in the game. A lot of people don't buy every yearly release, they maybe will wait a few years, and the gaming will have improved a lot rather than the sutble changes made, every year. If that makes sense. :?

But Mario, other than a few 'oddball' games like Super Mario Galaxy, Nintendo hasn't really change that formula either. Its still the same sprite jumping on the heads of mushroom things, etc. The only thing that has allowed all these games to change, is the fact that its technology that has pushed the games, not the individuality of the games

Whether Fifa, Mario or Final Fantasy they are all franchises which are always the same game, with slightly different stories and features. But thats why they sell, people become loyal to the games, just like brand loyalty.

kimahri

CF Legend
At least Touhou makes major changes every so often on top of the scoring system and life system changes.

And the patterns! Don't forget the beautiful bullet patterns of quick death!

mrclam

Giga Poster
ICoastCoasters said:
But Mario, other than a few 'oddball' games like Super Mario Galaxy, Nintendo hasn't really change that formula either.

Garbage!

Mario 64 pretty much invented the 3d platforming genre.
Galaxy took it to another level of imagination and variety

Yes there are still the same creatures, yes you sometimes jump on their heads.. But that's far and away from the exact same soccer game every year with a few new moves - or the exact same shooter with new graphics and a different story.

is the fact that its technology that has pushed the games, not the individuality of the games

Again - strongly disagree with the case of mario - because the technology in the wii isnt that far removed from the cube...

But i'm beginning to sound like the nintendo fanboy i am here.. so i'll shut up :--D

A

Anonymous

I understand what your saying, and I love Mario.

Just trying to say that Mario was mentioned as being far superior to Fifa, where the basics are still there in both games. So, I wasn't meaning to come across so negatively against Mario. But the progression is the same if you go back to the first Fifa in '93 the extras, the twists and turns added to the game since are unbelievable at times. Same for Mario, Mario for the NES and Mario Bros for the Wii are completely different, but yet the same.

The continuation of these games are what make it a series of its own. People become loyal to the brand because all games in the series have continual aspects.

Like anything it all accounts for taste on what games people will rate.

Ollie

CF Legend
I find Mario games boring. The originals were great but now it's kinda dragging on and I've lost count the number of games Nintendo have made with Mario.

Anyway got some new games.

Professor Layton and Pandoras Box:
Really like Curious Village so decided to pick this one up. Only played a bit of it so far but it's pretty good. It keeps the same controls and gameplay of the first one but it just plays along a different story and has loads of new puzzles. There are also more animated cut-scenes and spoken lines in this one which is always good.

Batman: Arkham Asylum: Really enjoyed the demo so rented it from Blockbuster for a week. Really impressed with it so far and the gameplay is great. Not sure how long the game lasts though and if it'll be as good all the way through but I'll find out. :)

mrclam

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
I find Mario games boring. The originals were great but now it's kinda dragging on and I've lost count the number of games Nintendo have made with Mario.

Proper mario games? I think we're on #6. Lots of spinoffs featuring the same character - but they're not the same game.

Just because a movie has the same actor - doesnt mean its a sequel... If you get me?

Yes - mario has been used in a lot of games, but the core mario games have pretty much redefined the industry at each step and bring with them somehting new, interesting & inventive each time... (well apart from sunshine - enough said about that the better). They're one of the few "pure" games being made, not getting bogged down in graphics and plot and relying purely on gameplay elements.

Which is why as a gamer and a developer - i love them. I struggle to think of many modern games which could survive without a plot/story/graphics/online to keep them going... Would people play through the single player campaigns of halo 3 or cod4 if there wasnt a narrative to keep them playing?

Does this make them bad games? Of course not. .but if more games focused on the gameplay and less on plot - then we as gamers would be having more fun.

Personally I think for the most part (With exceptions - adventure games, etc) that plot belongs in books and movies.. games are about interaction and fun.

(i'm ranting here .. lol)

Batman: Arkham Asylum: Really enjoyed the demo so rented it from Blockbuster for a week. Really impressed with it so far and the gameplay is great. Not sure how long the game lasts though and if it'll be as good all the way through but I'll find out. :)

In a week, you'll be finished easily.. depending how many hours you play games for each night, you'll probably have all the riddler puzzles clocked too.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... someone asked how many Mario games there were made. Here's an incomplete list:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_series
What's for certain, there's more than 200 of them, counting everything featuring Mario as a playable character.
And I fully agree with Clam up here.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just completed Batman: Arkham Asylum.
Really really good game and it's pretty sure it's going to win a few awards. It's certainly my game of the year so far. Everything about it just feels so polished and it never gets boring. It just seems to be the right difficulty and the perfect mix of action, fights, stealth and moving around. The graphics are really good as well and the story is a decent length and doesn't feel too short or too long.
So yeah overall it's a strong game and I wouldn't mind playing it through again. Especially when there's trophies to be had. :p
Also had a quick go at playing as the Joker. Is pretty fun and the combat is completely different. Although it would be cool to play it as a bigger mode.
So yeah it's well worth the buy and those thinking about getting it should get it and those who want it but don't have much money can rent it for a week like I have (that's long enough to enjoy it fully anyway).
It's not often you come across a game as good as this. :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
Mario games define dull.

See, Joey summed it up perfectly.

For 30 years, Mario has been leaping on the heads of crap enemies and getting chomped by plants with teeth.

We have Super Mario World on the SNES in the living room, and Minor_Furie bought Super Mario Bros 3 for the Virtual Console on the Wii. Both are supposed to be "the height of gameplay", but to me (who doesn't like platform games) - there's no difference between them and any other game of that type.

Yet dozens of years after release, we're still supposed to revere the Mario games as God-like. I find them dull and repetitive.

Super Mario 64? Yes, it gave us a whole ruck of equally dull and dreadful 3-D platform/Adventure games! Nice! :p

Tastes differ, and what is gameplay cream to one person is cloying and sickly to another.

The overall point is... If you have plot driven gameplay, you become involved in the characters and worlds created. Due to the time taken to create worlds in things like FPS, you end up with a very short game. Whereas in Mario, it may take you weeks, or months to complete - an FPS may take from a few hours to a couple of days.

It's just that the limitations on development mean the FPS type of games can't give as much. So, the player is left "wanting more". That means there has to be a quick sequel to feed the player's desire to keep on playing.

I don't know if you get what I mean? If you like jumping on the heads of crap enemies, then you get a LOT of it in a Mario game, many hours worth of it. If you like blowing the heads off aliens and living as a character through a story, then you can do it, but in much smaller doses - so you need more versions of that to be produced.

The thing that sticks out here are things like the Fifa and Madden games (however many there may have been, I don't care, I don't follow them at all :p ).

When was the last time that any of these games offered anything revolutionary? Surely a game of football is a game of football? If you love playing matches on Fifa '08. then what is Fifa '09 really offering you? Or Fifa '10? Updates to club details? Well, couldn't that just be sold as DLC???

I have the same issue with the Guitar Hero games. They're all essentially just the same, but you have a different set of songs. Well, for £40, you get 70 songs. You will know and like maybe 10 of them. Another 20 or 30 you may have heard of but don't give a stuff about. The last 30 you haven't a clue about.

Why not just buy one game and then buy the songs you like which are released as DLC? £40 will get you 40 tracks more or less of songs you actually love!

It's why Rock band aren't making a Rock Band III, but are trying to head out in different directions. Yet again though, the public are pouring money into GH 5 - I just think that sometimes people have their brains removed when they enter a games shop... ;)

Erm, having said that, I bough GH: World Tour yesterday :lol: It was a tenner though, and has at least ten tracks I like. So it was worth the money. It's odd playing GH after playing Rock Band for so long. I hate the style and presentation of GH. It's too cheesy and makes my skin crawl. The guitar is very "GH" too. Set patterns repeated. It may be realistic, but there's a nudge of diversity in Rock Band that makes it more interesting to play the guitar part on Rock Band.

kimahri

CF Legend
Most Nintendo franchise games I find dull.

Super Smash Bros Brawl was really really dull. all I was doing was mashing the same button over and over untill it said that someon one.

Touhou on the other hand is an amazing series, It's all made by one guy, save for the two fighting games which were a colab effort. He does the music, the art work, the programing everything and ect. Each game has it's own quirky story which is surprisingly developed. The list of characters is huge and each have their own personality.

The bullet patterns are all freaking amazing compaird to other bullet hell games.

Everyone get them! they are freeeee!

I WILL GIVES YOU LIIIINK!

http://www.doujinstyle.com/forum/index. ... opic=14608 THEY'RE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FIRST POST!

big john

Mega Poster
i would post more in this thread seeing as i work in a games shop i should but all i seem to see if arguments and a certain person banging on abiut a stupid shmup in every post i thought this was the games recomendation thread (changed to the games we play) come on peeps recomend games and stuff not bang on about ****ing Touhou **** in every post or argue about how many marios there are. (rant finished)

on another note i have 5 beta codes for brutal legends on the xbox360 if anyone would like one pm me and ill send ya one its an awsome game