What's new

The Games we play...

Stretch

Roller Poster
Ollie said:
Don't get the point of the new 'Ultimate box' version though as it's just the same game but with the free downloads people have already got added on. It's just a trap for people who don't know to spend money on it.

Its not, its got extra stuff thats just been released.

Just over a year on from its initial release, Electronic Arts has re-issued Burnout Paradise in the form of The Ultimate Box. This combines the original game with all of its download add-ons, a brand new Party mode and a range of other less headline-grabbing but equally welcome updates.

And yes, that includes a restart option.

Not all of the download stuff thats included is free. it does actually work out cheaper to buy the Ultimate Box than to buy the game with the extras. And including a restart option is something that should have happened with the original release.

Cracking game, but yeh, I found the actual "game" part got old pretty quick, then it just becomes the thrill of driving really fast!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I found Burnout Paradise just a bit tired really... The problem is, having played all the other games in the series - it was just more of the same. I really wanted to like it, as it's a great game, but I just never really got into it. The city is just too big, and (I stopped playing before the recent patch) having to go back across the entire map to restart a race was depressing. Big mistake for the initial release.

I traded it in a few weeks ago. I'd tried again and again to get into it, but just couldn't at all.

I agree with Smelly about Killzone 2 and Halo 3 - what you're not understanding though Malc is that just because WE'RE sick of the same old same old FPS, not everyone is. It's just the same game as Doom 2 essentially, only prettier. I don't understand why people are still so engrossed by the same thing 15 years on. However, I still buy most of the racing games released, because I can't get enough of driving around tracks. Kim still gets his shoot'em ups, you will still buy every Mario (I've hated EVERY Mario (platform) game, every last one!) - I'm not going to stand up though and say that the millions upon millions who buy them each and every time (and who have re-bought them on the Virtual console) are in the wrong, and that the games are rubbish. It's a taste thing, and the problem is your posts come across as condescending because you don't relate back to that. You state "it's dreadful because I say it's dreadful", rather than understanding that it is down to personal preference.

You say you'd rather not be mainstream... Well, it's not quite the same as music. You could argue that Nintendo are the mainsteam now, and the FPS's on PS360 are like Emo, or some other mainstream sub culture (like punk :p ). By saying Killzone 2 is just the same old, same old and not worthy of your time is like saying that no band should ever produce any more punk. It's been done, it was the best at the start - just don't bother. I won't listen to any music unless it's a completely new genre (or fits into the tastes of what I'll allow to exist).

And Home? The beta sold more than a million dollars worth of goods in it's first month. Considering there's no physical production involved in that, it's mostly profit!

I don't understand the appeal of home, I'm too old and spend too little time in front of a console. It took me years to get the idea of social networking though too. Just because I'm a dinosaur doesn't mean that something is pointless and a waste of money. At the moment, it's looking like Home may be THE thing which makes Sony any money at all this year. Though it's still very early to judge - it does look like somebody made a good decision. Do I understand it? No! do I think it was a bad idea? No! :)

Lain

Giga Poster
COD4 GOTY Edition is currently a measly £19.99 at Game.co.uk, so I thought I'd better order a copy.

Let's hope it's as good as they say it is, eh. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It would feel rude not to buy it at that Lain :)

Erm, on my list for tonight is Flower!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BDG5ax_eTo[/youtube]

It's a flower'em up! :p

I love quirky games like this, and it's why I have always gone for the Sony platforms (they're Japanese gameplay, but not mainstream pap like Nintendo :p ).

I think it's £7 or something, nice price. Though Noby noby boy out next week looks great too!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwNdTdtyXAM[/youtube]

It's an eat'em up, by the maker of Katamari! :)

Stretch

Roller Poster
furie said:
Though Noby noby boy out next week looks great too!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwNdTdtyXAM[/youtube]

It's an eat'em up, by the maker of Katamari! :)

Holy sheep herder.... Any game that involves eating whole sheep and then farting them out as a projectile weapon has GOT to be worth a look! :lol:

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
I'm going to do something wholly unlike me now.

I'm going to disown (or indeed hate. I almost never truly use that word, ever) Killzone 2 purely on the basis of it's rabid fanbase.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69299 ... ilbag.html

I thought Ollie was bad. I was wrong.

http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/02/kill ... foot-s.php

This is what happens when someone gives it a bad review.

Edge, bless them, gave it a disgusting/honest 7/10, and oh my good grief:

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/kil ... ge-verdict

Is it always this bad? Did I miss this with Halo? Does it get worse with every console generation?

But, more to the point: Why? Are we this protective of our four hundred pound purchases that we defend exclusives to the point of wanting to *kill* reviewers who say a bad word about it?

I'm sorry, but this isn't living. This is the middle ages!

[I now remember why I stopped reading almost every comment/talkback thread to do with almost anything. This was especially stupid of the internet this time though. Faith in humanity fail.]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't hate or like anything due to other people's reactions. I think that it's silly to love something so unimportant to such an emotional degree (or dislike it). It's just leave your brains in the blender kind of attitudes.

I thought the game was just bland, nothing new or original, but it was gorgeous :) F.E.A.R 2 is also getting a slating, but I thought so parts of the demo where really good FUN!

Silly silly people getting do angry :roll:

I don't care, I'll float my petal to safety and enjoy myself while they all get hot under collars about a game :lol:

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
^I try not to, I really do. But I feel the universe needs such serious balancing out after the social vomit that were the KZ2 reviews!

Intruigingly, in reading a FEAR 2 review by the lovely Kieron Gillen of RPS fame, I found Mr Clam! He got annoyed. A lot.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fear- ... _start=250

Hooray!

And even this talkback thread isn't as mad as the KZ2 stuff. Really, I'm still getting over how utterly utterly moronic some people are.

kimahri

CF Legend
"Rebon said:
Hey guys,

This is just a quick PM to let you know that Microsoft is changing the way they do their Xbox Live feeds, so we've disabled the profile module temporarily.

They haven't told us exactly how long it will be, but rest assured we'll let you know as soon as we get it up again.

Stay tuned for some exciting new updates on Playfire in the near future! :)

Thanks!

Kieran

So that's why.

Edit:-

Made a TF2 clan. Blu

Originally Started by Jer, It was going to be it's own Website but ollie found Playfire and it would be easier on me since had to make said website.

So if you play Team Fortress 2 and want to join our mild insanity then join Blu This should be useful

http://www.playfire.com/a/clan/blu

Also how do I make people admin?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
One of my mates is mates with Kieron Gillen - he comes from Stafford :lol:

Flower is fab - really good :)

How can a game where you control a petal on the wind have a story? How can it get you so emotionally attached.

It's great.

It's like Rez for hippies :)

Seriously, Rez is the closest game I can think of to what it is, but it's something very different :) No shooting though.

Ollie

CF Legend
Lol I may get it. But don't particularly want to buy a flower game. :p

And we're all doomed now. Steven has joined the CF Group and clan on Playfire. :shock:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Have I mentioned Flower yet today?

Probably not. Please, buy it! It's well worth £6 and is something wonderful and different to play. The world is crying out for original, interesting, fun, intriguing and great games. They won't get made unless people support the ones which are!

So get it now, and lose yourself for a few hours in the wonderful, emotional, tense, fantastic experience which is Flower!

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
furie said:

So, I'm a four friend link chain to Gillen? Hmm, wonder who else I can get to. The Queen? John Lasseter? Neil Armstrong!

Smelly said:
furie said:

dont get me started on this one :lol:

This raises more questions than it answers ;)