What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
spicy said:
Let me guess you have to pay for them? Am I the only one who gets annoyed at stuff like this?

It's in lots of games. It's called "premium content". It's a good way of getting more money from people.

These things take time and money to produce, and may be used by (even free) only 20% of the people who bought the game. Why should a company keep on giving away free stuff? It's not like the add ons are something which you MUST have to make the game playable. They just give you something else to add to your gaming experience. If you love a game, then you'll buy more for it.

Imagine buying a big box of Lego. You can make thirty different vehicles from what you get, and it's great. You make them all and have fun. You even make some stuff of your own, and all is good.

Then you get bored. Should Lego provide you extra blocks to extend the life of your product you bought from them? When they release different parts which will compliment what you have (and allow you to make an extra five vehicles), should they just send you the bits for free?

No, you wouldn't expect it. Just because there's no physical item involved, don't think there isn't a cost. If you want to get more out of a gaming experience, then you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket.

It's up to you to decide if what is on offer is worth the asking price. Sometimes it is (some of the LBP packs for instance), sometimes it isn't (some of the LBP costumes).

If something is free, then it's usually for the benefit of the company providing the freeness :)

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Yeah I don't mind the maps as much, as you are actually getting something that could be quite worthwhile and doesn't exactly cost a bomb.

Furie said:
It's up to you to decide if what is on offer is worth the asking price. Sometimes it is (some of the LBP packs for instance), sometimes it isn't (some of the LBP costumes).

Thats what bugs me, the LBP costumes and when they try to make you buy things for your car on NFS. Wheres the fun gone in unlocking new things if now you can now just buy them? The costumes should be unlockable through the game, not through how much you are willing to pay once you have already bought the game.

So maps :thumbright:

Costumes and things that should be unlockable [-X

Stretch

Roller Poster
Spicy - Dont buy Skate 2 - theres a bit of DLC you can buy for that which basically completes the game for you... "Time is Money" think it costs about a fiver and it unlocks all the extra area's and outfits for you! Talk about ruin a game!!!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I disagree with that Stretch. If it's in the game, it should be included in the price.

Spicy, LBP has so much in the game. Tons and tons of levels and costumes. Most games do - there's so much to unlock. You don't HAVE to buy the extras (let's face it, who many people have EVERYTHING LBP has to offer), it's just stuff they know is cool and people will desire.

Sometimes, there's a secondary cost. Like some of the LBP stuff is from a different franchise. It's say, Capcom, who are letting LBP use their intellectual property, and will want recompense for it.

In NFS, it may be the manufacturers have put a cost on EA to provide it in the game?

spicy

Giga Poster
Stretch said:
Spicy - Dont buy Skate 2 - theres a bit of DLC you can buy for that which basically completes the game for you... "Time is Money" think it costs about a fiver and it unlocks all the extra area's and outfits for you! Talk about ruin a game!!!

Thats the sort of stuff that annoys me, similar to the NFS add ons that I am trying to explain. You can unlock them anyway within the game, but if you don't want to play the game and want it right now its just going to cost you a few quid.

They have kind of eliminated 'cheats' and just stuck a price on it instead I suppose.

Furie- Yeah I can see why they do it, I mean if theres a way to make some more money out of a game then lets face it they are going to do it. Or if they have to apply the charges due to using other companies intellectual property like the MGS stuff you can get on LBP I suppose.

I guess when I was playing my megadrive I didn't ever think that one day instead of hours of gameplay trying to unlock more stuff I could just buy it online with the press of a button :lol:

I suppose I didn't think it would be possible to play people all over the world from my bedroom either so there you go

:)

Stretch

Roller Poster
furie said:
I disagree with that Stretch. If it's in the game, it should be included in the price.

What did I do?! I didnt buy it, make it, or put it out there for a charge! I was just mentioning it!!! :lol:

Spicy - I agree, Its annoying, but I guess it makes sense for people who want to just skate around and cant be bothered playing the challenges, but then again if thats the case then why buy the game in the first place?!

kimahri

CF Legend
spicy said:
Costumes and things that should be unlockable

In TF2 (on PC they are free) the updates provide extra stuff and you still have to unlock them by getting a set amount of achievements.

Just though I'd say that.

Lain

Giga Poster
I played the Resi 5 demo earlier.

It was pretty good! I'll probably get the game when it goes cheap.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Stretch said:

So why not just not buy the DLC?

That's like saying a game isnt worth buying because you can go and buy an action replay cheat card which unlocks it all for you!

sheesh :)

My game recommendation : I bouhgt Burnout Paradise last week for $20 (around 10 quid) brand new! But the downloadable content released on Friday 6th Feb improves the game no end.

Biggest improvment is that you can now auto-restart races (Without having to go back to the start). But also stunt jumps and breakable signs/etc are now better highlighted.

For the money - with all the DLC - it's a great game!

(WARNING: DLC takes up WAAAY over a gig - dunno how much exactly as i downloaded it in seperate chunks, the friday download was 800 meg)

PS: All the content which makes the game better is free.. but there's also content to pay for (such as party mode) which gives you extra game modes/new cars/etc if you like that sort of thing.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Lain said:
I played the Killzone demo this evening.

It was good. :)

REALLY?

I've not been so underwhelmed by a demo in a long time.

My thoughts while playing it "oooh.. purdy.. ooh.. blood splats... meh.. havent i played this a million times before?"

EDIT: Gawd.. Just realised that i'm slating an "exclusive" title here.. So I'd best put in a disclaimer that by saying that i was underwhelmed by a demo - it does not mean that i think the console that it's on is bad or that any other console is better. Or any of that other such nonsense which kicked off when i dared to say that "home" was a waste of time.

Lain

Giga Poster
Smelly said:
Lain said:
I played the Killzone demo this evening.

It was good. :)

REALLY?

I've not been so underwhelmed by a demo in a long time.

My thoughts while playing it "oooh.. purdy.. ooh.. blood splats... meh.. havent i played this a million times before?"

Well I haven't really played many (read: any) FPS games in any great quantity, so perhaps I'm not one to judge.

However, given your often rather heterodox views, smelly, I'm happy to stick with my analysis. :p

mrclam

Giga Poster
(looks up "heterodox")

oooh.. cheers! Who wants to be "mainstream" - that'd mean buying the latest britney spears album or something... Or wasting money on mainstream dross like halo 3.

EDIT: Gawd.. Just realised that i'm slating an "exclusive" title here.. So I'd best put in a disclaimer that by saying that Halo 3 is overrated mainstream dross - it does not mean that i think the console that it's on is bad or that any other console is better. Or any of that other such nonsense.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I don't think you realise how patronising you come across when discussing games. You reduce the conversation level massively every single time you post in this topic.

I wasn't impressed by the Killzone 2 demo actually, but I'm so used to CoDs FPS engine I find it hard to adapt to any others (which is probably why I had Far Cry 2 for a week and sold it!)

I downloaded the 3 on 3 NHL arcade trial last week just tried it now, fun little game, not sure I'd pay £6-7 whatever it was for the full game though to be honest!

mrclam

Giga Poster
EDIT : Actually Pierre.. I originally posted having a go at you ..

But you do have a point. I dunno why - whenever i post on anything on any topic it always sounds different to how it sounds in my head when i post.

I'll try not to be so condenscending in the future. But Killzone 2 demo did suck (So did resi 5 demo!)

- What I was trying to say in that "disclaimer" was that i didnt want this to turn into a "my console is better than yours" member measuring contest... Just because i didnt think a game was up to much myself.

I'd rather have a discussion about the games than a "which machine is better" nonsense which happened after i said i thought "home" was a waste of time (and money) for sony - which'd been better spent making some ace games (which i know sony are capable of)

kimahri

CF Legend
Smelly, you are old. You opinion is now void. Good bye.

Played a bit of Earthbound During break at college, I really like it! JRPG's are my type of game and Earthbound is a nice little twist to the genre. The attention to detail and other little quirky things makes it a happy game.

I first saw the game when reading about it in Wiki and seeing Giygas, naturally I was intrigued by the look at it. It's ****ing creepy. That alone made me download ZSnes and the roms. The only thing I don't like is the fact I lost my save game some how and had to start again.

Also I've recently watched an LP of the game, made me want to play it more. I watched and LP of the it's Prequel Mother ,which is a bit more serious looking and difficult which means grinding, That put me off a bit, and its (loose) Sequel Mother 3 which looks just as good and quirky as Earthbound.

It's a shame that Nintendo are EDEOTS and won't release it here which means i have to get the ROMS and English translation.

I'm done.

Ollie

CF Legend
^I really want to get Burnout Paradise but am waiting for it to get cheaper as it's really expensive at the moment. I loved the demo but was wondering if the gameplay would get boring after a while as it's just eh excitement of driving really fast and watching the amazing crashes.
Don't get the point of the new 'Ultimate box' version though as it's just the same game but with the free downloads people have already got added on. It's just a trap for people who don't know to spend money on it.