What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Battlefield 1943 has just been announced for XBLA and PSN!

Oh yeah! I LOVED BF1942 on the PC - one multi-player FPS I'm actually really excited about!

kimahri

CF Legend
furie said:
Kim, I love the original R-Type, I have the arcade version on MAME. It's still superb, and so hard. I need a proper joystick though, can't play them on keys or game-pad. Have you tried some of the PSN shoot-em-ups? I'm not keen on the Robotron clones, but Space Tripper is excellent.

I've played the original R-Type in an arcade on holiday once and at my friends house on MAME. I was the fire button and she was movement.

it IS hard. Although I did do the first level on the trial with out dieing and completly destroying the boss.

No I havent tried any of the PSN ones simply because I just havent looked. Although they probably wouldn't be my style. You see I like the Bullet hell or manic shooter type in which there are thousands of bullets on screen which can me in some cases in beautiful and mesmerising patterns which are shown alot in the touhou series. Coupled by the fact that they have got the keyboard controls spot on, their incredible music and the fact they are free makes it all the better.

And robotron clones I hear you say?!?!

What about Llamatron?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm a firm believer in one shot death when it comes to shoot-em-ups. It's harsh and you need much faster reactions and a great ability to really hammer the fire button as fast as you can. Though R-Type added the concept of a power hold to mix things up and add a bit of strategy.

Each to their own...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Home update is bug fixes really - nothing majorly interesting. For a fanboy Ollie, you don't keep up much! :p

kimahri

CF Legend
furie said:
I'm a firm believer in one shot death when it comes to shoot-em-ups. It's harsh and you need much faster reactions and a great ability to really hammer the fire button as fast as you can. Though R-Type added the concept of a power hold to mix things up and add a bit of strategy.

Each to their own...

One shot death is a must for good Shmups.

I Don't know of any bullet hells that don't that actually.

As for R-type. **** it's brutal! R-type 2 Isn't as bad and Ikaruga is win when you don't get dodgy scan lines.

Ollie

CF Legend
Furie I beat your time on the Red Bull Air Race on Home. :p
It took a while to get used to as I couldn't find how to start it as there were so many people around that area. Also I kept flying through gates and getting penaltys and didn't know why at first but then spotted the ghost plane by the gates at the direction you're meant to bank your plane. Then it still kept marking me wrong and then found out it was because my wings kept clipping the gate towers. :p
So that was a pretty good fail from me but I did it in the end. :lol:

Over the past couple of days I've had a major playing session on CoD:WaW. I've got really far on Veteran now and am on the penultimate level. It's suddenly got 100 times harder and (Pierre will back me up on this) will take me ages to complete. So I'll try and get to a checkpoint a day which is a huge challenge in itself and takes countless dying.
It's just as soon as you run out onto the battlefield, grenades fly from everywhere. You don't have enough time to run away out of range and it's almost impossible to throw them all back before they explode. This is very annoying after you get really far and it sends you miles back to try again (which annoys me about the story).
Oh well, I've almost done it. So as soon as I've got all the trophies I never have to touch the story mode again EVER. :D

kimahri

CF Legend
Dungeon Keeper 2 is WIN!

Can't remember the level but I ended up capturing LOADS of people and getting tonnes of skeletons out of it, then raiding the enemy keepers dungeon and winning!

So much fun.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
^Stop reminding me that EA killed Bullfrog!

New point and click game by some quiet little devs (who made the charming little flash games for the BBC, and the two splendid Samorost games.

It's called Machinarium. It looks stunning and charming, and it's about robots. What more could you ask for?

Video!

Mmm, point and click games <3

Ketchup

Mega Poster
Why will it be?
The first one sucked, so why will the second be any better? Jury's out on it in my mind.

And yeah been playing Bioshock after getting it in the Steam Boxing Day sale for £2 I think it was lolz. Great game with a really good storyline and a great atmosphere and setting in Rapture, a true spiritual sequel to to System Shock 2.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Killzone 2 = yet another run of the mill fps game with is over hyped, looks pretty - but same old same old.

Just like halo 3 before it on a different system..

But then modern gamers seem to love playing essentially the same game over and over.. so I guess i'm in the minority

Stretch

Roller Poster
Smelly have you played the Killzone 2 demo yet? - ok, it is still just an FPS - but its not just "same old same old", the graphics are stunning, not just pretty but the animations are something special. The game "FEELS" alot better than most shooters, your not playing as a floating gun, you can feel the weight behind your movements. And the AI is amazing - played through the demo a couple of times trying different tactics to see if different things would happen and the enemys react completely different, not many other games pull that off right.

Ketchup - Bioshock was indeed an amazing game, loved the moral choices it gave you, and the setting is lovely, although I only rented it and managed to get all I would be able to out of the game in one week. Saying that if I saw it for 2 quid I'd definitely pick it up!!!!

Ollie

CF Legend
THIS LOOKS FRIGGIN EPIC!. :p
I had no idea that that's how you play it. I thought it was going to be touch screen like the last one.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY2SJHbGgcs&sdig=1[/youtube]

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Ha yeah that looks pretty good, now I know why they wanted a camera on the DSi.

But it is essentially just Eye-toy play on the DS, nothing we havent seen before but clever none the less.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The problem I have is similar to the problem of GH for the DS - it's a handheld system you tend to play in public.

Imagine doing that on the bus, or the college common room?