The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Super Paper Mario is quite good...

Humour is hard to come by in games nowadays, and it's made me chuckle quite a bit...

In other news, I've been whoring FM as Sunderland and currently Leeds... I even won the Premiership with the Black Cats :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
Managed to finish the level after hundreds of attempts to get past a single checkpoint.
I'm now on Ring of Steel, so I'm slowly working my way through them although I'll probably get to somewhere where I'll get stuck for so long I'll give up and not touch it again.

Hopefully Skate should arrive soon. I won it on Ebay last Friday evening so it should hopefully turn up tomorrow. I'm also trying to get hold of a copy of Dead Space but everyone seems to want it and I keep being outbid straight away. :(

kimahri

CF Legend
I seriously doubt that this is harder that I wanna be the guy.

Considering that you die a lot more on the easiest difficulty than cod at it's hardest.

Ollie

CF Legend
There's alot more going on in CoD that I Wanna be the Guy.
On CoD you've got to move, aim, fire, keep in cover, avoid enemy fire, dodge grenades, avoid tanks, reload, conserve your ammo... well you get the point. On I Wanna be the Guy all you do is jump around and occasionally fire. It's just a silly side scroller that thinks it's funny to suddenly turn a wall into spikes and sent it flying into you.

kimahri

CF Legend
It's a bit more cruel in later levels.

And it doesn't scroll.

Also by the sound of it. You didn't get past the first screen. That's like failing at the training level in COD4.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I don't think many people are playing CoD4 anymore, I've gone up 20,000 ranks in the space of 6 hours playtime... from 100,000 to 80,000....

Ollie

CF Legend
I'm slowly getting my way through the levels on CoD:WaW. Am currently on 'Blowtorch and Corkscrew'.
Skate arrived today so I had a go on that. Very fun and the controls are great, but the camera always seems too low and you can't always see everything that's around you. Which is especially annoying on the roads where cars appear out of nowhere and send you flying.

Also played the Resident Evil 5 demo. It looks really good and the controls are good apart from the camera following you around seems to not always be in the right place at the right time. The character movements also seem to be quite chunky if you get what I mean. It's good fun though and I'll probably get it (although not for a while after release as I need to save my money).

I also watched all the cut scenes from Star Wars: Force Unleashed. I've been reading the book and it's brilliant and I watched these so I could get a better picture in my mind, as I wasn't sure what PROXY looked like and Juno Eclipse looked completely different to how I imagined (she's really hot in the game :p).
So yeah, I wasn't too keen on the gameplay when I played the demo for it a while back but was interested in the story.
I think I loved the story more watching it after reading it as I knew what was going on better and it looked as good on screen as I imagined it when I was reading the book. But to others who just play the game may think it's just average (I'm not sure on that though but Marc might be able to tell us).

kimahri

CF Legend
I downloaded the trial for the R-type re-release thingy.

Want. I already have 3 and Final so the first 2 wouldn't hurt.

Can you tell I like Shmups? Ok so it isn't bullet hell but a little mix up wouldn't hurt right?

Stretch

Roller Poster
Ollie said:
Skate arrived today so I had a go on that. Very fun and the controls are great, but the camera always seems too low and you can't always see everything that's around you. Which is especially annoying on the roads where cars appear out of nowhere and send you flying.

Also played the Resident Evil 5 demo. It looks really good and the controls are good apart from the camera following you around seems to not always be in the right place at the right time. The character movements also seem to be quite chunky if you get what I mean. It's good fun though and I'll probably get it (although not for a while after release as I need to save my money).

Which Skate game are you playing 1 or 2? I'm quite a way through 2 now and only just figured out how to change the camera angle (go in to the video options in the settings menu and change camera from low to high!) - can see ALOT more of what your doing from this angle. - It is a cracking game.

I'm loathed to try out the Resi 5 demo - I was a MASSIVE fan of the older games, especially Resi2, but my biggest gripe with the games back in those days was the camera and controls and from what I've heard they have pretty much kept those as they were for this new game, which puts me off a fair bit. Also heard that they've taken alot of the "puzzle" elements out so its more of a third person shooter than a survival horror game, which saddens me.

PLCP

Mega Poster
As far as I know, you can't change the angle on the original skate. Eventually I just got used to it and got over it. If you don't want to get hit by cars, skate on the right side of the road. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Played the Resi 5 demo...

Stretch, it's... different. I loved Resi 4, because they got the game play just right, but it was more third person shooter.

Resi 5 is like a proper zombie flick. Hordes and hordes of the buggers, and the best way to fight them, is just to run. It's true survival horror, as you just have to leg it as much as stand and fight.

It didn't work for me at all, you HAVE to stand and fight - no run and gun. That's fine, but not if they're going to throw zombies at you from all angles constantly.

The second level on the demo was a bit better though.

Kim, I love the original R-Type, I have the arcade version on MAME. It's still superb, and so hard. I need a proper joystick though, can't play them on keys or game-pad. Have you tried some of the PSN shoot-em-ups? I'm not keen on the Robotron clones, but Space Tripper is excellent.

Playing GL-Tron last night:
http://www.gltron.org/

Superb stuff, I love this game :) Best fun four people can have at a PC at one time! :)

Also dug out my Atari collection. Played some 720 degrees! THE original skate board game, and better than Skate 2 :p
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP7f9AgfZlw&[/youtube]
http://www.geocities.com/civitat/720/720-Home.html

Skate or DIE!!!

Love it! :)

Stretch

Roller Poster
Isometric view skating CANNOT beat the pure skill that is required for Skate 2 :p

I've not played the Resi 5 demo, and dont think I'm going to... everyone that has has said its a real disappointment and I'd rather not ruin my memories of the older games by knowing for sure that they've ruined it now!!!

In other PS related news - Killzone 2 demo is out on PSN this afternoon and looks to be an awesome game (if you like shooting things in the face from a generic first person view) - Cant wait to play this bad boy!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Stretch said:
Isometric view skating CANNOT beat the pure skill that is required for Skate 2 :p

You're so wrong. Skate 2 doesn't have bees. Bees are scary... ;)

Stretch

Roller Poster
Bah - Bee's aint all that :p

I could post a vid link to show some of the awesomness that is available in Skate 2 - but I cant link things for a week :'(

You win this time Furie.... I'll get you next time gadget.... next time....

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Using the power of links!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ZVkypYYqU[/youtube]

Bees are scary and 720 requires more skill than Skate 2 :)

New PS Home updates today too. Anyone got themselves on the Red Bull Air Race leader board? :)