What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Penguin Trek | B&M Family Launch Coaster | 2024

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
When you think about it, why fix what isn't broken? Rather, why go to a different company when you can pretty much guarantee that you'll get a ride that works reliably, is seemingly easy to maintain and probably has components your maintenance team is already incredibly familiar with, etc.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
When you think about it, why fix what isn't broken? Rather, why go to a different company when you can pretty much guarantee that you'll get a ride that works reliably, is seemingly easy to maintain and probably has components your maintenance team is already incredibly familiar with, etc.
Oh I get, it makes perfect business sense. It's just that if I was running SeaWorld - which I'm clearly not, nor ever likely to be - but if I was, I'd want to mix things up a bit, y'know? Maybe throw in a Mack spinner or a Vekoma invert or sumat. Almost anything except another bloody B&M. That'd be like having your dream garage and filling it with nothing but Jaaags. Now I love Jaaags, but I'd still want an Italian sports car and an American muscle car in there too.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Oh I get, it makes perfect business sense. It's just that if I was running SeaWorld - which I'm clearly not, nor ever likely to be - but if I was, I'd want to mix things up a bit, y'know? Maybe throw in a Mack spinner or a Vekoma invert or sumat. Almost anything except another bloody B&M. That'd be like having your dream garage and filling it with nothing but Jaaags. Now I love Jaaags, but I'd still want an Italian sports car and an American muscle car in there too.
Please... B&M's are way more reliable than Jaaags.

Also, Intamin Impulses are the American muscle cars of roller coasters. They look cool, are a lot of fun, but the fun is limited to a straight line.

Fiender

Roller Poster
Given the fact this and Pipeline were first-of-their-kind prototypes, I'd bet that SWO got an exceptionally good deal on them, especially if they were part of some "prototype bundle".

I think it would be foolish of B&M not to offer those coasters at a steep discount, to prove to the industry that they can make more compact, lower budget, and family friendly rides. Not just $20-40 million mega coasters.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Also I believe the Florida market is pretty tight right now. Disney seems to have Vekoma covered and Intamin (and I guess Mack) has been busy with Universal. Both those would've been fine choices for a family launcher or an Ice Breaker alternative.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Chuffed to be of service, squire! 😁
I also just Googled tuppence, just out of interest like, and honestly, I had no idea about this particular use of the word...

View attachment 26368

For the record, I was referring to the clean version, as in two pence worth.
Not a vag'.

Was also the name of my cat when I was a kid.
I hope to god these days my parents didn't know the second meaning when they named her. 😭

On a more on topic theme.

As far as I know Vekoma and I believe Mack are fully booked up for the next year or two. Perhaps B&M wasn't the first choice if they decided on the project late.
we will probably never know but it wouldn't be the first time another manufacturer was used because the first choice couldn't deliver within the planned window.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
SWO also struggles with staffing with Disney and Universal nearby. Having multiple rides from the same manufacturer makes cross-training and workforce management from both a maintenance and operations perspective so much less of a headache.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Official park announcement:

SeaWorld Orlando Announces the Arrival of The Ultimate Antarctic Adventure: “Penguin Trek” – The New Immersive Family Coaster Coming Spring 2024

· Unique snowmobile styled ride cars transport riders on an unforgettable expedition through the Antarctic wilderness with two launches, a 3,020-foot track that traverses both indoors and outside, and a grand finale arrival at the penguin habitat where riders can experience the enchanting world of these remarkable animals
· Exciting for the whole family, the coaster accommodates rider heights from 42-77 inches
· Become a 2024 Pass Member and be the first to ride before the coaster opens to the public; 2024 passes on sale now

ORLANDO, Fla. (Sept. 28, 2023) – SeaWorld Orlando, already recognized as the Coaster Capital of Orlando with an impressive array of heart-pounding rides, is about to take your breath away once again with its all-new attraction coming in Spring 2024 – “Penguin Trek” – the eagerly awaited eighth coaster to join the park's ever-expanding ride portfolio. Designed as THE ultimate family launch coaster experience, “Penguin Trek” features a unique snowmobile styled ride car where once aboard, riders will embark on an exhilarating journey through the breathtaking vastness of Antarctica as they join a penguin research mission unlike any other.

Featuring two exhilarating launches and a maze of twists and turns, this unforgettable coaster moves at speeds of up to 43 mph across a 3,020-foot track that traverses both indoors and outside. Yet, what sets this experience apart as truly extraordinary is its unparalleled finale: as the coaster comes to a halt, guests find themselves not in a simulated penguin colony, but in the very heart of SeaWorld Orlando’s own penguin habitat. An experience for the whole family, the ride accommodates rider heights from 42-inches to 77-inches. 2024 Annual Pass members can be the first to ride before the public and passes are on sale now.

"We are incredibly excited to unveil our newest addition to SeaWorld Orlando's outstanding coaster lineup in Spring of 2024," said Jon Peterson, President of SeaWorld Orlando. "This family launch coaster embodies the spirit of adventure and exploration, offering an immersive journey through the wonders of Antarctica while further connecting our mission and commitment to our animal care, education and research. We know our guests were ready for a new thrill that the whole family could enjoy, and we’re excited to redefine the family launch coaster experience alongside our longstanding partners at B&M.”

Once aboard, riders will embark on an unforgettable expedition on this one-of-a-kind immersive family launch coaster that catapults them through the Antarctic wilderness at speeds of up to 43 mph across a 3,020-foot track. As they step into the shoes of intrepid researchers, they’ll navigate in a unique snowmobile ride car across the icy expanse, narrowly escaping an ice cave's clutches. This family-friendly adventure intensifies as they burst onto an outdoor coaster track, featuring two exhilarating launches and a maze of twists and turns. With adrenaline pumping, riders navigate this treacherous coaster, emerging from the looming danger of falling ice to finally reach the safety of a penguin colony, a journey that perfectly encapsulates the spirit of adventure and discovery. Yet, what sets this experience apart as truly extraordinary is its unparalleled finale: as the coaster comes to a halt, guests find themselves not in a simulated penguin colony, but in the very heart of SeaWorld Orlando’s own penguin habitat. The exhilaration of the ride seamlessly transitions into a heartwarming encounter with these charming, feathered inhabitants. This unique and immersive blend of family coaster thrills and authentic animal interaction offers an opportunity for the whole family to connect with the enchanting world of these captivating penguins, making it a one-of-a-kind adventure that will forever remain etched in their memories.

This family coaster's engineering prowess and world-class design are credited to Bolliger & Mabillard, the renowned design and manufacturers known for their excellence in roller coaster engineering. With five other remarkable coasters already at SeaWorld Orlando, including the park’s most recent thrill ride, "Pipeline: The Surf Coaster," which opened to rave reviews in May 2023, Penguin Trek is set to tie the park for the record of the most B&M coasters in one location.

SeaWorld Orlando's commitment to providing diverse thrills for all family members is evident in "Penguin Trek's" unique indoor/outdoor coaster experience. This latest addition to the coaster family promises to be another crowning jewel in a park already celebrated for its coaster excellence. Joining the ranks of award-winning rides such as "Mako," voted the #1 Best Roller Coaster by the USA Today 10Best Readers' Choice poll for five consecutive years, and "Ice Breaker," which secured the #1 New Attraction spot in the same poll, "Penguin Trek" is poised to continue SeaWorld Orlando's legacy of pushing the boundaries of coaster innovation for the whole family.

Be Among the First Family to Ride “Penguin Trek” with a SeaWorld Annual Pass

Guests can experience the best of SeaWorld Orlando with a 2024 annual pass including unlimited visits, unbeatable benefits, and the opportunity to be among the first family to experience “Penguin Trek” before it opens to the public. 2024 annual passes are on sale now and start at $14 per month with no down payment. Membership includes unlimited admission, access to vibrant seasonal events, and exclusive Pass Member benefits like FREE guest tickets, FREE parking and special savings on merchandise, and food and beverage. Plus, Pass Members receive special monthly rewards throughout the year such as exclusive Pass Member merchandise, behind-the-scenes animal experiences, festival-exclusive food & beverage deals, and discounts on admission to SeaWorld’s separately ticketed Howl-O-Scream event. The SeaWorld Orlando Annual Pass program features the bronze, silver, gold, and platinum annual pass, which grants access to all 11 SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment locations nationwide including, three SeaWorld parks, two Busch Gardens parks, two Sesame Place parks and several award-winning water parks. Annual Pass Members also get exclusive discounts at Discovery Cove. The program is structured in a guest-friendly way that allows visitors to choose the pass, the benefits, and the parks that are the best fit their needs. Restrictions apply.

For more information, park hours and to purchase tickets, visit SeaWorldOrlando.com. Follow SeaWorld Orlando on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest news from SeaWorld.

Fiender

Roller Poster

B&M's first multi-launch looks comparable (imo) to Big Bear Mountain in terms of ride experience. Am I crazy, or are these 2-seater cars allowing for more slicker maneuvers than we typically see from B&M? I bet a thrill variant could give Mack & other, non-Intamin companies a run for their money.