What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Mako | B&M Hyper Coaster

nadroJ

CF Legend
From what I can determine, what we have here is a classic case of Americans vs. Everyone Else (Europe mostly). We don't really have big things like this over here so to have one in a place where a LOT of Brits/Europeans visit on holiday is exciting because they'll finally be able to access a properly big coaster (yes I know Silver Star lives in Germany but ask your average Sun-reading UK citizen and they won't have heard of Europa, they will have heard of the Florida parks and I'd say a good portion of them would have visited). So basically, this is getting the reaction it is because it is somewhere a lot of us would have the option of visiting in the future. It's almost like it's being built in the UK, us Brits feel a kind of ownership over the Orlando parks that we don't get with other US parks.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Raging bull was the first B&M Hyper, and is still smooth as butter.

True, the trims are a bit of a let down, but you do get some nice floater on the drops.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Sorry to burst your bubble but Apollo's Chariot was the first B&M Hyper.

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=8314

As for this ride it seems fine. I like B&M hypers but this doesn't look like it will be the best one by any means.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The reason on why the term airtime machine was chosen was because absolutely there are better roller coasters in the world than the B&M Hyper. I have yet to see someone's Top 10 lead off with a Hyper.

So in the faith that we can all agree that there are indeed better roller coasters than the B&M Hyper, a more apt question which has gathered a good response is within the rank of airtime machines, how does the B&M Hyper stack up? I felt the approach was a more apples to apples comparison, to help drive more at how every ranks B&M Hypers.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Hyde said:
I have yet to see someone's Top 10 lead off with a Hyper.

Funny how one user on this page has Shambhala (a hyper) as their favourite coaster, and many others on this site do too. Some people's favourite coasters are hypers and I don't see the problem in that.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Yeah what Ethan said, Shambhala is my number 1 and many others number 1 too. Tbh, I can't see it being beating for a long time to.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
The first piece of track is en route - and it looks stunning! (Or at least I think it does)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ-4dsXV0Eg[/youtube]

I love the way they only manage to fit one piece on the truck ;)

And here's the current state of construction for anyone interested:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEHxVbH6bes[/youtube]

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
That two-toned purple/grey color sure is sharp in person!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
So the park released an official POV:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfbq8xXmbGI[/youtube]

I gotta say, this looks awesome! The snap before the 'splashdown' looks really intense!

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
nadroJ wrote:
> When do we think it will open?
SeaWorld says it will open in summer, but due to the speedy construction (see what I did there?), and the fact SeaWorld said manta would open in summer even though it opened in spring I'd say somewhere around march-may.

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
Well I just learned something about mako! The max g force will be 4 g's (about the same as Apollo's Chariot), the speed hill will provide -1 g's, and the rest of the hills will provide somewhere between negative .5 g's to negative .7 g's. There will also be nine airtime moments, and about 3 moments of lateral airtime.
Edit: They're will also be a 75 degree drop which will be the steepest drop on a b&m hyper.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Ayy Lmao said:
nadroJ wrote:
SeaWorld says it will open in summer, but due to the speedy construction (see what I did there?), and the fact SeaWorld said manta would open in summer even though it opened in spring I'd say somewhere around march-may.

Yeah, I got to ride Manta in its soft opening in May of 09. Sea SeaWorld is good about having their new rides open by Memorial Day weekend. Although Atlantis was ready in April of 98 the year it opened.

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
CanobieFan said:
Ayy Lmao said:
nadroJ wrote:

Yeah, I got to ride Manta in its soft opening in May of 09. Sea SeaWorld is good about having their new rides open by Memorial Day weekend. Although Atlantis was ready in April of 98 the year it opened.
Yeah I'm excited to see the reviews of this and storm chaser (mainly because they're the 2 most hater coasters of 2016)!

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
CanobieFan said:
Ayy Lmao said:
nadroJ wrote:

Yeah I'm excited to see the reviews of this and storm chaser (mainly because they're the 2 most hater coasters of 2016)!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Re: SeaWorld Orlando | Mako | B&M Hyper Coaster

I don't get why some people (not aimed at anyone in particular) have moaned about Mako. It seems like they would only be happy with one or two specific types of coaster at one or two specific heights or specs otherwise they think it's a waste of space. Hate when people are snobby because they've ridden a few "amazing" rides and then everything "below" it suddenly becomes awful. Luckily this forum avoids most of that kind of talk.

It looks like a great addition which will be a good all rounder and a solid investment for the park.

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
SilverArrow said:
I don't get why some people (not aimed at anyone in particular) have moaned about Mako. It seems like they would only be happy with one or two specific types of coaster at one or two specific heights or specs otherwise they think it's a waste of space. Hate when people are snobby because they've ridden a few "amazing" rides and then everything "below" it suddenly becomes awful. Luckily this forum avoids most of that kind of talk.

It looks like a great addition which will be a good all rounder and a solid investment for the park.
That's the coaster enthusiast community for you. Complaining about rides when they're first announced even though nobody has ridden it yet.
Remember coaster designers, once the park announces their ride that you designed, and no coaster enthusiasts have complained you're doing something wrong.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ To some extent I agree with you but on the other hand, some well-travelled enthusiasts can get an idea of what makes a good coaster by looking at the facts and layout available. That's not to say that they are right, but that experience of riding similar rides, knowing how each manufacturer and park operates, what their target market is and so on can help to form an opinion. To put it in other terms, if you have have had a lot of sexual partners, then when you sleep with somebody new, you will have a good idea of what techniques are good and be able to pre-empt how they might respond. Here the key point: Every partner - and coaster - is different, you'll never know for sure until you've ridden it but you can get a good idea from what's presented beforehand.

I love your cynicism, Ayy Lmoa! That's a true enthusiast right there. Please stick around <3