What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali

Mega Poster
I don't think that it looks rough at all. The only slight bit of head banging seems to be at the bottom of the first drop, and even then it isnt on the same scale as Collosus. Nothing at Thorpe is on the same scale as the roughness of Collosus. :)

Ali

Mega Poster
^I have ridden the back row and the front row. The back row is considerably worse, the roughest I'v ever been on. The front is no where near as bad though. Where did you ride?

nealbie

CF Legend
Everywhere, I'm not fussy where I sit after I've been on it several dozen times as it's nothing new :lol:

But I really don't think it's rough, but everyone slates it, so I'm obviously wrong :wink:

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
Yay for my useless footage and editing skills. *Brings camcorder next time*

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUbm0HQbEQ&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
SchumacherFerrari said:
What's the music? (I like it btw, yay for originality and not using the Saw theme music :wink: )
It's 'Zoosters Breakout' by Hans Zimmer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ob6N7sVGSg[/youtube]
lol, I'm amazed you liked it :lol:

Anway yeah so no more posts in this topic for me until March 14th :)

marc

CF Legend
That was my view on it sorry if I am not allowed one!

You might love it and think it looks great, I dont think so my view stop trying to impose your views on me. I have seen building left to rot and they dont look like that simple.

The nice smooth walls need cracks and not look so clean thats what I am getting at.

As I said I hope its not finished and it looks like they are still working on it.

Who really gives a **** anyway its about the coaster.

Mark

Strata Poster
Hmmmmmm. Well, I have avoided this topic quite a bit tbh. Mainly because last time I said anything I got the usual fan-boy response...

Well, I hated the first film the first time I watched it. I hated the fact it was all just so simple as him getting up and leaving at the the end.... Even still, after a few years of resisting Marc convinced me to watch the others. So I re-watched the first and then up to part 4, and I do concede that as an overall series the story and twisting plotline is actually quite reasonable. Clearly these films were very well written as a whole series as apose to a film where they decided to make a sequel. So kudos to them. I enjoyed the films a little. Not something I would rush to see in the cinema but it filled a few hours.

Now how does this relate to the ride? Well it doesn't and that is kinda the point. It would appear to me that people seem to think that if you like the films that you should automatically love the ride and everything about it, or vice versa. Well, I didn't like the concept to begin with for one reason and one reason alone, ie it had NOTHING to do with my dislike for the films!

They are trying their hardest to market this as being one of the "Big boys toys" the adverts placing it alongside Nemesis Inferno/Stealth/Colossus. Great bit of Marketing spin from Thorpe there, but to me that kinda sets you up for a big fall because whether you lot agree or not, a Eurofighter IS NOT in the same league as a BnM invert or even an Intamin Launch. I have ridden three of the things and not one of them really comes anywhere close to Inferno, or Stealth to a degree. So in theory alone (we shall see when the thing opens for sure) it is highly unlikely it will compare or be as great as what they are billing it to be. I will grant that of course, this depends on my own personal experience and tastes in coasters, so you may disagree, but it still isn't going to change my mind, so let's not go down the whole "your wrong road".

An argument could be that the theming in the pre-ride and pre-lift sections is what is going to make this special, which is quite a good argument. Since I am a strong believer in the fact that theming can have a very strong bearing on the overall effect of a ride. Will it push this into the realms of major standard coasterhood? Fraid not! When push comes to shove, it is a mediocre at best theme on a coaster but with a massive amount of marketing clout. The queue line is going to have to be pretty intense in order to stay truly in context with the movies. Do I see this happening... Not on your life! Some of the scenes in 3 and 4 for instance are beyond grotesque in the generic sense. Are Thorpe really going to go all out and make this true to the films and risk alienating a lot of people from riding? I have no clue. Then again, their demographics show that their target audience absolutely loves as much gore as possible, so perhaps they will?

If there was any reason for why things get tamed down it is likely to be budget.... which we have seen time and again at Thorpe. So even if it is almighty upon opening, will it be as amazing in 12 months. I don't think so. True to Thorpes form parts will be broken and never fixed etc etc. We all know the drill.

And as for the building. Since when has a warehouse looked like a blooming patchwork quilt? Having seen the films, and a lot of other films featuring warehouses, they don't really look like that. To me the outside of a warehouse is normally pretty standard bricks and mortar, but thats just me. Either way, the building at the moment just looks very flat, plastic and, well, fake! The whole flat and lifeless look is normally something that gets peoples panties in a twist in RCT let alone in real life, so why is this all of a sudden acceptable? I don't know what sort of place some of you live for warehouses to look like that but I'm just glad its miles away from me! Suffice to say that between now and opening a lot can change and therefore no final judgement can be made just yet.

For me, this is just another cheap tacky movie tie in that will not really do the films any justice and will fall short of expectations, both as a ride and as an experience. If not right away, but soon enough when a) the special effects stop working or b) the movie franchise completely dies up.

I would like to point out that I would love Thorpe to step up to the plate and prove me wrong. I would love for everything I have said to be proven wrong in reality when I ride it (and not just with some counter argument from another enthusiast who is hell bent on living up the arse of Thorpe). Because if I do come off having thoroughly loved it and not feeling somewhat short changed then yay, Thorpe have done their job, and I, as an enthusiast, have got exactly what I was hoping for!

Ben

CF Legend
Mark said:
Hmmmmmm. Well, I have avoided this topic quite a bit tbh. Mainly because last time I said anything I got the usual fan-boy response...

Well, I hated the first film the first time I watched it. I hated the fact it was all just so simple as him getting up and leaving at the the end.... Even still, after a few years of resisting Marc convinced me to watch the others. So I re-watched the first and then up to part 4, and I do concede that as an overall series the story and twisting plotline is actually quite reasonable. Clearly these films were very well written as a whole series as apose to a film where they decided to make a sequel. So kudos to them. I enjoyed the films a little. Not something I would rush to see in the cinema but it filled a few hours.

Now how does this relate to the ride? Well it doesn't and that is kinda the point. It would appear to me that people seem to think that if you like the films that you should automatically love the ride and everything about it, or vice versa. Well, I didn't like the concept to begin with for one reason and one reason alone, ie it had NOTHING to do with my dislike for the films!

They are trying their hardest to market this as being one of the "Big boys toys" the adverts placing it alongside Nemesis Inferno/Stealth/Colossus. Great bit of Marketing spin from Thorpe there, but to me that kinda sets you up for a big fall because whether you lot agree or not, a Eurofighter IS NOT in the same league as a BnM invert or even an Intamin Launch. I have ridden three of the things and not one of them really comes anywhere close to Inferno, or Stealth to a degree. So in theory alone (we shall see when the thing opens for sure) it is highly unlikely it will compare or be as great as what they are billing it to be. I will grant that of course, this depends on my own personal experience and tastes in coasters, so you may disagree, but it still isn't going to change my mind, so let's not go down the whole "your wrong road".

An argument could be that the theming in the pre-ride and pre-lift sections is what is going to make this special, which is quite a good argument. Since I am a strong believer in the fact that theming can have a very strong bearing on the overall effect of a ride. Will it push this into the realms of major standard coasterhood? Fraid not! When push comes to shove, it is a mediocre at best theme on a coaster but with a massive amount of marketing clout. The queue line is going to have to be pretty intense in order to stay truly in context with the movies. Do I see this happening... Not on your life! Some of the scenes in 3 and 4 for instance are beyond grotesque in the generic sense. Are Thorpe really going to go all out and make this true to the films and risk alienating a lot of people from riding? I have no clue. Then again, their demographics show that their target audience absolutely loves as much gore as possible, so perhaps they will?

If there was any reason for why things get tamed down it is likely to be budget.... which we have seen time and again at Thorpe. So even if it is almighty upon opening, will it be as amazing in 12 months. I don't think so. True to Thorpes form parts will be broken and never fixed etc etc. We all know the drill.

And as for the building. Since when has a warehouse looked like a blooming patchwork quilt? Having seen the films, and a lot of other films featuring warehouses, they don't really look like that. To me the outside of a warehouse is normally pretty standard bricks and mortar, but thats just me. Either way, the building at the moment just looks very flat, plastic and, well, fake! The whole flat and lifeless look is normally something that gets peoples panties in a twist in RCT let alone in real life, so why is this all of a sudden acceptable? I don't know what sort of place some of you live for warehouses to look like that but I'm just glad its miles away from me! Suffice to say that between now and opening a lot can change and therefore no final judgement can be made just yet.

For me, this is just another cheap tacky movie tie in that will not really do the films any justice and will fall short of expectations, both as a ride and as an experience. If not right away, but soon enough when a) the special effects stop working or b) the movie franchise completely dies up.

I would like to point out that I would love Thorpe to step up to the plate and prove me wrong. I would love for everything I have said to be proven wrong in reality when I ride it (and not just with some counter argument from another enthusiast who is hell bent on living up the arse of Thorpe). Because if I do come off having thoroughly loved it and not feeling somewhat short changed then yay, Thorpe have done their job, and I, as an enthusiast, have got exactly what I was hoping for!

This.

Read it, people.

He is right.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Couldn't agree more with both of you.

Lke Mark said, I just hope Thorpe prove us wrong, really I do. If they don't, and Saw is't great, then I'll be disappointed, very disappointed.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Some of this thread does amaze me. I cant say anything on the films/theme because i've not seen them.

However I'm damn glad Thorpe are building anything right now. With the current economic climate and so many smaller parks going under around the world. Surely any new ride is a bonus?

Now in my opinion this ride looks like a pretty good ride. Ok its not the best eurofighter design but its adequate for a park of Thorpe's stature, but then i dont suppose some people would be happy untill Thorpe build a 200ft B&M hyper coaster. :roll:

Mark

Strata Poster
roomraider said:
Some of this thread does amaze me. I cant say anything on the films/theme because i've not seen them.

However I'm damn glad Thorpe are building anything right now. With the current economic climate and so many smaller parks going under around the world. Surely any new ride is a bonus?

Now in my opinion this ride looks like a pretty good ride. Ok its not the best eurofighter design but its adequate for a park of Thorpe's stature, but then i dont suppose some people would be happy untill Thorpe build a 200ft B&M hyper coaster. :roll:

Couldn't agree more. Yes it is great that they are building something. I have no issue with that. It is more the way they are marketing the ride to be something bigger than it is which means that inevitably people will feel short changed. A Eurofighter would have been fully adequate if they were trying to open the demographic to suit families. Since these coasters are fantastic for that. (Something Furie pointed out very early on may I add.)

Also talking of the credit crunch.... It may be effecting smaller attractions but it is barely bothering the larger, global, chains. And why? Simple really. People aren't going abroad on holiday at the moment because they can't afford it. Instead they are making the most of what they have at home. Merlin as a group had a pretty record busting year last year and for the attractions that are already open this year this trend has continued and they are expecting an even bigger year this year! The smaller parks that have gone under (Camelot for instance) were in dire states long before the economic climate completley destroyed them. If it was purely the economic climate then we would be seeing a lot more of them close.

Personally I didn't particularly want another B&m, I would have rather an Intamin Mega-Lite (and certainly not a BnM Hyper), but there ya go. If the smaller parks in Denamrk could get them, so could Thorpe.

nealbie

CF Legend
They do need an airtime machine really don't they!

They've got inversions a-plenty (17 with Saw now isn't it?), an OK launch coaster, X:/ What the **** and a kiddy/powered coaster.

So perhaps the best thing for them to get would be a moderately large coaster filled with airtime, with the best bet probably being the Mega Lite that Mark would like to see.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I would hope any new coaster would be a couple of years away so they can focus on the much more important aspects, such as maintenance and atmosphere...

The suited demographic was thrown out the window when they added the Saw theming to the ride... A reasonably scary sawmill theme would've been acceptable and would not required a higher height limit since it would not be based upon an 18 certificate film, so families would be more willing to ride it...

I still think the ride itself looks good, but I've always hated the idea of the Saw theme... Simple as...

Also if they build a new coaster, let's not build it on the island, one of the new land-filled ones would be lovely, as it would give Thorpe more space, which is something it severely lacks... Turn Neptune's beach into a nice grassy area instead and that's one step towards producing a new atmosphere at the park...

They have a month to sort out the paths as well... Since the one from crust was still muddy piles, they need to be quick, even with the path by Samurai, that would not be good for crowd control as it is a much smaller path in width...

Also several metal fences were on the edge of the area, so I'm guessing those are to try and prevent people commiting suicide or escaping... Will did liken it to Guatanamo Bay yesterday :lol:

Guess will just have to see how it looks and rides next month...

spicy

Giga Poster
saw.jpg

I want that in the indoor part with the freaky laugh that it does.

As for the actual coaster? I am actually going to say I think it looks pretty damn good.

elmerfudd

Mega Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
The team leader said its not recommended for anyone under the age of 12?
Well thats a marketing put off for families.

Well maybe they should go to chessington then. Thorpe park isnt a childrens park. Im guessing most children under the age of 12 wouldnt be tall enough anyway.

I'm kinda starting to like the station now, i think it looks great! The music, could be scarier, but hey, not everythings perfect! I think its fantastic and i can not wait to ride it.

Status
Not open for further replies.