What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I just say - Thank **** Thorpe have put some sort of effort in this year with regards to theming! Look at their other attempts and then this, I say it's pretty good going and Thorpe should be credited for this.

spicy

Giga Poster
Well said Ollie! I personally think it looks good and looks exactly like the plans, I don't really know why people were expecting it to look different from the plans? When the plans first come out everyone thought they looked good, but now it's a physical building it looks ****? makes no sense to me...

Ollie

CF Legend
SchumacherFerrari said:
Saw (not SAW, when did it become an acronym?)
I usually only say SAW instead of Saw here because I feel it may get mixed up with all the other uses of the word saw. Like I saw this or see-saw. :p

nealbie

CF Legend
^You need only use a capital "S" Ollie :roll:

Being a coaster enthusiasts website, I think people may have an inkling of what you mean :)

Ben

CF Legend
Ollie said:
100% agree with you there. Real abandoned warehouses are VERY flat. Thorpe have tried making it look more eye pleasing and people are still complaining by saying it looks flat even though there's plenty of stuff coming out of it.

... plenty must have a different meaning where you're from?

I love how the station looks. It's gritty and realistic and has a slight fantasy feel to it like it's one of those buildings that you would only find in stories and films.

It's neither gritty nor realistic nor... anything. It looks like a cartoon, really.

I don't see what there's to complain about really. If this wasn't SAW and was still the haunted mine shaft theme people would be thinking that it looked great. But ever since they announced it would be themed to SAW everyone seems to think that no matter what they do to it it will be crap. Com'on. your enthusiasts for **** sake. You enjoy riding coasters and as soon as Thorpe build a really unique ride that's probably the longest of it's coaster type and has a really good layout you all continue to moan. You've all being moaning for years that Thorpe don't bother to theme their rides any more. This is THE most themed ride in the park, and yet everyone still moans.

LOL.

I do hate how people seem to think enthusiast = blind acceptance ANY coaster MUST be good. BTW, if you want to see a good, unique Eurofighter, go to the Fluch topic. Then you will begin to see what Thorpe has is NOT special.

For once a theme park has decided to go all out on a ride.

No, they haven't. Hansa have gone all out. Thorpe have done as much as they have to, no more.

They've spent millions on the ride and themeing to help create an atmosphere back in the park Something that Thorpe has been lacking the past few years.

Lol... yes

This ride is going to be VERY successful anyway regardless of what you all think. It's themed to one of the most famous horror films of all time and have done well with it's viral advertising.

It's done well with the advertising if you happen to be an enthusiast and LOOKING for it. I don't know about anyone else, but I've not heard a THING about it outside being an enthusiast. And I live in London. Gone are the days of adverts and awareness like Nemesis, Oblivion and Air had, sadly.

The park doesn't build rides to please enthusiasts. They build them for the GP who want to ride it. So far EVERYONE I've asked about the ride who isn't an enthusiast is very exited about the ride. Most have been following construction and been enjoying the countdown till the ride opens. Usually the general public don't do this and just see an odd advert and think "oh that looks quite good" But as soon as it's something they recognise they are like "wow!".

This, I don't buy. Enjoying construction? Sorry, I smell BS here.

I reckon that Thorpe have got the perfect ride to boost gate numbers this year. They've got a great theme that everyone knows regardless if they've seen the films or not. They've got a great track with a 100 degree drop and plenty of twists and turns. And they've marketed the ride extremely well.

Marketed well and yet it's still unheard of in the frigging CAPITAL which happens to be up the road from the park...?

The ride is not going to be the good coaster you seem to think it is. Open up RCDB, look at Mystery Mine and Hansa, and then realise that what Thorpe has given us won't be up to the standard it could, and should, be.

Then, look at it from the GP's perspective. Yes, people I've mentioned it to have thought it sounded cool, but, to have not heard a THING about the ride, living in the capital, means I'm sorry, I don't buy that there's THAT much awareness of it. And then they get there and it's a coaster that does less "twists and loops" than the one what, 30ft away? I think if you believe the GP can't tell the difference in quality from Intamins and B&Ms to a Eurofighter in terms of ride experience, you're very much underestimating them.

And before I get a barrage of typical "OMG, you just hate Thorpe", that's NOT it. If this was at Alton, I'd be as against it. A "family" coaster which alienates the "family" and a theme which is frankly, hideous. You honestly can not look at this and then look at other park's offerings on similar coasters, and then come back to me and say this looks great. It looks... Thorpe. Typical, disappointing, Thorpe.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Well I hear Kiss100 advertising Thorpe Park and Saw, but most of their visual marketing comes closer to Summer where people tend to spend more. Thorpe have always done that, and it looks like they will continue with this trend.

I'm half with Ollie and Half with Ben on this one.

Ollie

CF Legend
^^Really? I saw a couple of adverts for it on the telly last week.
And this is where it's going wrong. People are comparing it to other rides and parks and not accepting it for what it is.

Ben

CF Legend
Why should we accept something mediocre though...?

Weird, cause my TV is on pretty much 24 hours a day, lol.

nealbie

CF Legend
^Obviously not on the right channel :lol:

But I must say that I agree with Ben in that I haven't seen anything on the ride on tele as of yet.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
The only advertisement I have seen for it were the viral ones from ages ago. To be fair, I never see any adverts for any theme parks on television, because usually they are region based and I'm not in the region of Thorpe.

Ben

CF Legend
SchumacherFerrari said:

But I must say that I agree with Ben in that I haven't seen anything on the ride on tele as of yet.

If Dave isn't the right channel, I don't want to know what is ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie said:
And this is where it's going wrong. People are comparing it to other rides and parks and not accepting it for what it is.

Go on then Ollie. Without comparing it - what is it?

I can't do it to be honest, because I'm always going to start by comparing the ride itself to Rage or Speed (so a relatively fun ride, but nothing mind blowing).

The theming looks "adequate". Sadly, again, I'm going on comparisons to other places I've visited. It's much better than a lot of the theming in the Uk - I'll give it that. If Thorpe is trying to be one of the best parks in the UK (in terms of ride line-up and theming), it's heading in the right direction, but only because the rest of the UK is generally poor. Compare it to Alton or Chessington (in their hey-day) and it's... Well, mediocre. Alton and Chessy's latest additions have also been the same, but they sit on a decent backbone.

So, it's... a relatively fun ride, in a relatively alright themed area.

It's, generally alright? That may be great for people who have never been to any other theme parks, but it certainly isn't helping Thorpe get out of being anything other than "an alright park for the UK".

If that's what they want, and they can make money from it, fine! However, I'm damned if I'm going to start making out like Thorpe are doing anything fantastic and in need of lots of praise. They've worked harder than usual, and considering previously they managed below average - this time they're roughly average! Hurrah! ;)

nealbie

CF Legend
Ben said:
SchumacherFerrari said:

If Dave isn't the right channel, I don't want to know what is ;)
Dave is indeed the right channel good sir!

So I think it's safe to say that roller coaster "Thorpe Park's bitch" Ollie, doesn't watch it 24/7 like ourselves :wink:

Ollie

CF Legend
I don't watch much TV nowadays but only spotted it by chance when flicking through the channels.
I just don't like the way people are hating it just because it's at Thorpe.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z6FwCSoOXw[/youtube]

Stretch

Roller Poster
That rotary blade saw unit thing above the first drop looks like it could give a really cool head chopper effect - still looks very short though :( we need some LONG coasters here in the UK, their all being far too short since Oblivion made it ok.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think I said I think it's good for Thorpe - but that doesn't make it "good" ;)

Thorpe needs more coasters, it needs a more diverse line-up (it needs rides that work more than 50% of the time :p ). So ANY coaster is a good addition for them, but that doesn't mean it's actually anything special.

I'd say exactly the same about it if it was at Alton.

Status
Not open for further replies.