What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
elmerfudd said:
Well maybe they should go to chessington then. Thorpe park isnt a childrens park. Im guessing most children under the age of 12 wouldnt be tall enough anyway.

Thats the most narrow minded and immature response I've ever heard. You're blocking out thousands of people below 12 who already visit the park, so this is a bit of a silly move in my opinion. It's still a family park at the end of the day, it's not quite the thrill capital just yet so it's odd to see Merlin sending out mixed messages and throwing away young family custom, just yet.

roomraider said:
... but then i dont suppose some people would be happy untill Thorpe build a 200ft B&M hyper coaster. :roll:
Intamin, my friend. Intamin Hypercoaster.

Nah... I wonder what impact this ride will have? Will it be famous, if crap (Like Manhattan Express or even PMBO)? Will it inspire other rides? Will Fluch von Novgorod thrash it in terms of pretty much everything?
And I think we should put a five-post limit for posting new topics in:

General Discussion
News & Rumours
Coaster Polls&Opinions
Coaster Q&A

For about a month around the ride's opening. That way, we'll avoid a lot of noobish topics telling us about the NEW EPICS COASTR IN TORPE!!11!
Just look at that new guy posting today.

Screaming Coasters said:
elmerfudd said:
Well maybe they should go to chessington then. Thorpe park isnt a childrens park. Im guessing most children under the age of 12 wouldnt be tall enough anyway.

Thats the most narrow minded and immature response I've ever heard. You're blocking out thousands of people below 12 who already visit the park, so this is a bit of a silly move in my opinion. It's still a family park at the end of the day, it's not quite the thrill capital just yet so it's odd to see Merlin sending out mixed messages and throwing away young family custom, just yet.

Thousands of people below 12 who can probably go on about 5 rides at Thorpe? I think you have to admit that the place really isn't for small kids.

Some people in this thread seem to be suffering from this!

enjoymentvsenthusiasm.png

hehehe.

Some photos I got Saturday and Yesterday.

Testing:
SDC10341.jpg

Going up the side of the lift-hill:
SDC10426.jpg

The Photo-booth being constructed still:
SDC10349.jpg

Bridge to the ride being worked on:
SDC10353.jpg

Ride entrance:
SDC10352.jpg

SDC10351.jpg

SDC10360.jpg

SDC10363.jpg

SDC10367.jpg

SDC10372.jpg

I could make a better warehouse with corrugated cardboard and felt tips.

Words cannot describe how badly my expectations have been ripped apart.

^What you seem to forget is that this warehouse has been made from corrugated cardboard and felt tips. ;)

Those that went to the park on Saturday and saw the themeing and station in person will agree that it looks amazing and the photos don't really give off how good it looks in real life.

Whilst I agree that the ride does look very good in real life, I did think that the station from the left side of the photo booth looked very flat, plastic and fake.

Hopefully that bit still isn't complete...

Seriously, this is what normal abandoned warehouses look like:
http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/ ... lroad.jpeg

and you've got this:
http://www.thorpeparkguide.com/archives ... b09-10.jpg

What is the major complaint?!?!?!?!??!

What Thorpe have given us, is (within their budget) something that, from the front at least looks like a 'themepark style' abandoned warehouse/lair. It has a fair amount of detail, right down to the damp effect in the walls, the water tank, rusty roofing, fans, windows.

It looks way better than if Thorpe had gone for a reality feel, where we literally would have gotten a corrugated iron box and nothing more.

So stop looking to complain- can we start accepting that what we've got is actually pretty good for the purpose?!

Ben said:
^Because it's a patchwork of 2D hideousness which looks less real than Jordan's tits?
Let's not be too harsh Ben, it would take a fairly monumental amount of fakeness to look less real than Miss Price's breasts :lol:

coasterdude_1 said:
Seriously, this is what normal abandoned warehouses look like:
http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/ ... lroad.jpeg

and you've got this:
http://www.thorpeparkguide.com/archives ... b09-10.jpg

What is the major complaint?!?!?!?!??!

What Thorpe have given us, is (within their budget) something that, from the front at least looks like a 'themepark style' abandoned warehouse/lair. It has a fair amount of detail, right down to the damp effect in the walls, the water tank, rusty roofing, fans, windows.

It looks way better than if Thorpe had gone for a reality feel, where we literally would have gotten a corrugated iron box and nothing more.

So stop looking to complain- can we start accepting that what we've got is actually pretty good for the purpose?!
100% agree with you there. Real abandoned warehouses are VERY flat. Thorpe have tried making it look more eye pleasing and people are still complaining by saying it looks flat even though there's plenty of stuff coming out of it.
What exactly what people expecting? Thorpe to airlift a real warehouse so it looks realistic?
I love how the station looks. It's gritty and realistic and has a slight fantasy feel to it like it's one of those buildings that you would only find in stories and films.

I don't see what there's to complain about really. If this wasn't SAW and was still the haunted mine shaft theme people would be thinking that it looked great. But ever since they announced it would be themed to SAW everyone seems to think that no matter what they do to it it will be crap. Com'on. your enthusiasts for ****s sake. You enjoy riding coasters and as soon as Thorpe build a really unique ride that's probably the longest of it's coaster type and has a really good layout you all continue to moan. You've all being moaning for years that Thorpe don't bother to theme their rides any more. This is THE most themed ride in the park, and yet everyone still moans.

For once a theme park has decided to go all out on a ride. They've spent millions on the ride and themeing to help create an atmosphere back in the park Something that Thorpe has been lacking the past few years.

This ride is going to be VERY successful anyway regardless of what you all think. It's themed to one of the most famous horror films of all time and have done well with it's viral advertising. The park doesn't build rides to please enthusiasts. They build them for the GP who want to ride it. So far EVERYONE I've asked about the ride who isn't an enthusiast is very exited about the ride. Most have been following construction and been enjoying the countdown till the ride opens. Usually the general public don't do this and just see an odd advert and think "oh that looks quite good" But as soon as it's something they recognise they are like "wow!".

I reckon that Thorpe have got the perfect ride to boost gate numbers this year. They've got a great theme that everyone knows regardless if they've seen the films or not. They've got a great track with a 100 degree drop and plenty of twists and turns. And they've marketed the ride extremely well.

Saw (not SAW, when did it become an acronym?), is a ride that will most certainly fit the demographic that Thorpe has.

Like Ollie, all of my mates whom are not enthusiasts all think that it's going to be a great ride and want to go to the park in March just for this coaster!

As well as that you have all of the chavs who are going to say stuff along the lines of "This ride's based on the Saw films init! It's gonna be sick!" etc etc etc.

I for one am looking forward to it. This is the first big ride to hit a Merlin park in the UK since 2007, which is far too long for a chain with 4 major parks in this country.

And as an added bonus, this will hopefully take some time out of the other coaster queues at Thorpe! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.