What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
^Speed's hill is right after the drop, so it has it's highest kinetic energy at that point, that's why it's so good...

Thorpe's is not right after the main drop, so won't have the same velocity, but airtime hills are airtime hills... I'm just waiting for UC now ;)

But we don't know how well the ride paces, its like we didn't know about the intensity of the airtime on Speed until it was operational.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
But from taking Speed's one being right after the first drop and Thorpe's being in the middle we can easily guess that some of the kinetic energy has been lost and hence may not be at the same speed as Speed is when it takes it's hill and hence may not have the same impact...

Physics <3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis Inferno said:
But from taking Speed's one being right after the first drop and Thorpe's being in the middle we can easily guess that some of the kinetic energy has been lost and hence may not be at the same speed as Speed is when it takes it's hill and hence may not have the same impact...

Physics <3

Yes, but if the hill is lower than Speed's, and at a steeper angle, then the effect could be the same anyway? However, not having the exact plans, and not knowing how much the MCBR will slow the train down, it's a moot point.

I do, however, agree in principle - I think that you're right, and the fact it's later in the course will mean there's nothing like that amount of ejector. This is a good thing for me, as I hate the hill on Speed! :lol:

Kebab

Giga Poster
Replacing an element used already and removing the MCBR all for an airtime hill is a pretty much fantastic change! Its going to be a lot tighter than Speed's hill hopefully, although; like others said, we won't get the velocity.

Its going to come at a surprise being in the middle of the layout :)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
So is the overall length the same?
If that's the case then I don't mind the removal of an inversion.

Also taking out a block section on a ride like this wouldn't really make a difference to the throughput.
Just think of it like this...

You have a long pre-ride before the lift hill, which would be classed as a mid block-section and by the time that train arrives back into the station, the next one would be dispatched.

If the ride is a minute like most are, and dispatch times are about 1 - 2 minutes, it wouldn't make a difference at all to the throughput.

Which now leaves me one last thing to say....

Yay for airtime!

Martyn B

CF Legend
Removing a MCBR for an airtime hill is obviously great, I thought it looked crap anyway having an MCBR, element, then another MCBR.

It said in the news article that this will mean the train wont be slowed down by the MCBR, thats obvious, but someone mentioned on another page that the new plans say "previous height", so maybe it wont be as tall, meaning theres no speed for previous MCBR to kill?

Dave

CF Legend
Yeah I think its been lowered by 10ft. But don't count on me saying this. Just looked similar to height as Colossus.

Airtime Cadet

Roller Poster
There was the Canada Creek Railway, but that's gone now.

Thank god for the design change. Thorpe is in need of a coaster with some good airtime. I don't care if it lost an inversion particularly, and the MCBR going has probably improved it. They won't have to spend so much on maintainance now.

Mike T

Mega Poster
I hear the ride is going to be running 8 cars of 8 people with a capacity of 1,545 an hour. This ride is going to completely eat people. I'm also guessing that this is going to really make Thorpe a better park. With 4 major coasters it seems more complete.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
If they had all 8 cars on the track at once, there would be stacking... Maverick esque most likely...

Fury can have about 10 cars on the track at any one time, but you need remember that loading times never take the same amount of time every time, so it could (and most likely would) end up in cars being stuck on the MCBRs, even Vampire stacks when it has three trains due to varying reasons of slow guests, large guests, idiotic guests, and some other issues that can occur...

Hence the ride may be able to have 8 cars, but it'll most likely have 5 or 6 on at any one time...

Thorpe will just look too packed now, the footprint of the park is just too small atm to be considered being better... Since Thorpe is often full of chavs, I'd like to go somewhere quiet and get away from it, this was why I liked the Farm, you could go over there and sit down by the pond for a hour or so just chilling... With it shut, there's nowhere really to just sit and relax in a quiet area, which can often help a stressful day get less stressful...

Ben

CF Legend
That sort of capacity would require a train despatched approximately every 18 seconds... If this was Disney, that'd be fine, but this is Thorpe, they'll never run that many or that fast.

Especially as Mystery Mine only runs 7 with 1000pph, and that's a far bit longer.

I don't see this hitting any more then 900pph at the most. Yay for a huge queue!

marc

CF Legend
The problem with Thorpe is they dont have anything other than rides so you always end up with people queing. Disney and other places have things for people to do so that keeps some ride queues down.

I think Thorpe need to let less people in so people that do go can try and have a good day with out 2 hour queues for every single coaster. Some of my mates that have been there this year have all said they did not have a good day due to ride break downs and massive queues for the rides.

Mat

Hyper Poster
southend_marc said:
The problem with Thorpe is they dont have anything other than rides so you always end up with people queing. Disney and other places have things for people to do so that keeps some ride queues down.

I think Thorpe need to let less people in so people that do go can try and have a good day with out 2 hour queues for every single coaster. Some of my mates that have been there this year have all said they did not have a good day due to ride break downs and massive queues for the rides.

Isn't that going to be the case with many 'large' parks on peak days though?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
The problem with Thorpe, is that even on an average busy day, it feels crammed.

The place desperately needs more areas like the one inside Stealth's layout and the one by Tidal Wave. I hope the new coaster will.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Thorpe looks incredibly tiny from the air-- like one of the smallest parks I've seen (am I right?). More path and rides to take up people into queue lines can't be a bad thing, I suppose.

I liked the layout change as before it seemed to be just getting started before it slowed up again. This will make things a little bit better and it honestly looks like the best Eurofighter if they do the theming right. Mystery Mine had a lot more slow parts with indoor theming, but as a coaster, this seems to have more faster sections with big elements, which is nice. Looking forward to watching this go.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I do hope Thorpe will pull the Euro fighter off also. Its a very bad choice of coaster (do we agree?), for a fairly "succesful" park, but the layout is looking extremely well! With the additional theming and indoor pre-drop section will credit the ride; "hmm.. Maybe it could be the best Euro-fighter there is".

I really hope I don't eat those words. It's maybe Thorpes real chance to shine having a coaster like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.