What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
^ I wouldn't call it a bad choice. Really the only thing I'd say about it is that they'll need to work out loading procedure to keep the lines moving. Mystery Mine loads two at a time, which is what keeps that line moving. *Maybe* you could argue that if you're going for the beyond vertical, then Intamin might be the better choice, but imo Gerstlauer can do it nearly as good and a lot cheaper. I don't think it's such a bad idea.

Kebab

Giga Poster
CedarPoint6 said:
^ I wouldn't call it a bad choice. Really the only thing I'd say about it is that they'll need to work out loading procedure to keep the lines moving. Mystery Mine loads two at a time, which is what keeps that line moving. *Maybe* you could argue that if you're going for the beyond vertical, then Intamin might be the better choice, but imo Gerstlauer can do it nearly as good and a lot cheaper. I don't think it's such a bad idea.
Thorpe's Eurofighter is going to have duel loading, am I right? It's not a bad idea at all; all I was saying is that Thorpe park you would expect B&M and Intamin coasters, but they went with the cheaper solution (2-3 million pound?). The theming is going to do a massive bonus, maybe they can transform a bog standard "fairground" type coaster, to be an amazing one of a kind (Mystery Mine already shows most of that).

Personally, I'm hyping this like any other big name manufacteured coaster. I'm really excited to see what this is going to turn out like :)

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Agreed, as long as they pull this off well, they should be able to make a decent ride out of this.

I'm still not entirely sold on this. Personally I'd rather have them cut the pre-lift roll in favour of an extra inversion somewhere in the main layout, especially now that they've cut one from the ride, but that's just my preference and I know it's probably never going to happen.

That said, the airtime hill sounds like a good move, judging by people's comments about the one on Speed, and the removal of a break run will hopefully help make this flow a bit better, so the changes sound good to me.

All that said, my previous comments stand: I'll reserve final judgement until I get to ride it.

Dave

CF Legend
coasterchris93 said:
CedarPoint6 said:
Thorpe's Eurofighter is going to have duel loading, am I right? It's not a bad idea at all; all I was saying is that Thorpe park you would expect B&M and Intamin coasters, but they went with the cheaper solution (2-3 million pound?). The theming is going to do a massive bonus, maybe they can transform a bog standard "fairground" type coaster, to be an amazing one of a kind (Mystery Mine already shows most of that).

Personally, I'm hyping this like any other big name manufacteured coaster. I'm really excited to see what this is going to turn out like :)

They've gone for a cheaper choice yes, but its still not cheap. The ride will cost them around £6-10 million roughly. Still £10-15 million cheaper than a B&M, so they've made a good choice, plus its a good choice matinence wise. As i've never heard lots of downtime on Rage, Cobra or Speed which are all Gerstlauer roller coasters.
So Merlin have got this all right, its a great choice and its something different for the park. Why can't they have a Giant Eurofighter?

Comet

Roller Poster
First off I don't know how big the other queues are at Thorpe, but this one looks HUGE.
I've never been to Dollywood either but I'm guessing the line for Mystery Mine isn't nearly as big as this one is.

It seems that if that fills which I guess they're expecting it to do this line could be brutal.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Most of the pathways at Thorpe are long but they very rarely go over 1 and 1/2 hours in length.
Most of it will be shut off and will be used as overflow.
Stealth very rarely has it's whole queue line open and has gates that pivot across to shorten the queue to stop peeps from having to walk up and down all the cattle pens.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
even Vampire stacks when it has three trains due to varying reasons of slow guests, large guests, idiotic guests, and some other issues that can occur...

You also forgot crap operators and poor platformers :lol:

Dave

CF Legend
Screaming Coasters said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
even Vampire stacks when it has three trains due to varying reasons of slow guests, large guests, idiotic guests, and some other issues that can occur...

You also forgot crap operators and poor platformers :lol:

Lets see... Vampire holds 24, where as Dylan has 8. I think with a good running it can be filled and dispatched in 20-40 seconds.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ I'd expect better than 20 seconds. When I operated the Vampire and I were timing my platformers we'd get a train in, unloaded, loaded and dispatched in 25 seconds. Whenever I wasn't operating, they all slacked off and did it in a minute :lol:

A

Anonymous

Have Thorpe actually started building the eurofighter coaster yet? I'm excited about it- I've never actually been on a ride like that. The weirdest drop I've ever been on is G-Force at drayton manor, but its more of a hanging "blood runs to your head and your ears pop" ride rather than a "wooo out of my seat!!!" ride ha.

Dave

CF Legend
Vertical construction might not start until November after the park is closed. As these rides can goup stupidly quick.

John91

Mega Poster
Didn't Stealth go up from August '05 or earlier. We may see the eurofighter go up soon. I just look forward to seeing it.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Also, if they've recently made changes to the plans then the track can't have been fabricated. I seriously doubt we'll see any major construction work for a while.

Dave

CF Legend
John91 said:
Didn't Stealth go up from August '05 or earlier. We may see the eurofighter go up soon. I just look forward to seeing it.

Hmm I wonder why that was....Intamin....and this is a Gerstlauer. They get the ride built and ready in 4 months. Cobra was constructed and basically worked in 2 months.

spicy

Giga Poster
MouseAT said:
Also, if they've recently made changes to the plans then the track can't have been fabricated. I seriously doubt we'll see any major construction work for a while.

Exactly, who knows there could be further layout changes yet.

Its not like constructing an Intamin or B&M. These go up really fast. In fact I doubt we will see any vertical construction, maybe see a little at fright nights.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
No doubt Thorpe will want to do the whole early-advert thing like the did with Stealth.
Have the track built for the halloween event, light it up for everyone to see and making use of viral-verbal-advertising.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
10rob11 said:
Have Thorpe actually started building the eurofighter coaster yet?

Well, the land is basically ready for some construction, haven't seen any track yet (let me guess, soon somebody shows me a pic of some....hmmm...hint, hint) but i reckon it will be constructed on time :D!

Status
Not open for further replies.