What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
Whatever hills it has, they aren't going to have airtime.

As soon as pictures come out, I'll draw large pictures with comparisons and use math to prove it won't.

;)

I miss the Stealth topic... :(

Also, how about 'Over the EDGE'?

Dave

CF Legend
Ultimate Coaster said:
Whatever hills it has, they aren't going to have airtime.

As soon as pictures come out, I'll draw large pictures with comparisons and use math to prove it won't.

If they are anything like Speed's im sure it would kick arse, similar to ejector on El Toro.

Jools

Giga Poster
I doubt another B&M would have fitted in at Thorpe, and I can imagine this eurofighter being quite a good one, considering what it's ancesters were/are like, aslong as it isn't going to be called Dylan's Terror Mine, or something crap like that!
Other than that, I would like to welcome this masterpeice *cough* :roll: Into the UK :lol:

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Of course another B&M would have fitted in the park, Heck- a coaster can be built to any size and Thorpe are filling in parts of the surrounding waters in order to house this new ride.

It's just a shame that the new owners Merlin are such cheap asses that they did not care to fork out for a B&M. It's not like they would not get there money back in ticket sales..

A Flyer would have been awesome since they provide such a unique and gratifying ride experience, that and there being only 3 other original layouts in the world. I have to wonder if we will ever see another B&M in the UK now that Merlin has passed them up, no one else would be able to afford one. ughh.

Anyway... I would have chosen a wood coaster over the cheapo Euro Fighter option.
On a positive note the pre lift corkscrew is cool. :roll:

Is it assumed they are going to try to conceal the track/ structure of this new installation during construction?

Dave

CF Legend
Coaster-Fiend said:
It's just a shame that the new owners Merlin are such cheap asses that they did not care to fork out for a B&M. It's not like they would not get there money back in ticket sales..

A Flyer would have been awesome since they provide such a unique and gratifying ride experience, that and there being only 3 other original layouts in the world. I have to wonder if we will ever see another B&M in the UK now that Merlin has passed them up, no one else would be able to afford one. ughh.

Anyway... I would have chosen a wood coaster over the cheapo Euro Fighter option.
On a positive note the pre lift corkscrew is cool. :roll:

Is it assumed they are going to try to conceal the track/ structure of this new installation during construction?

Lets see, theres already a flyer in the UK, which is Air, so people will associate this new ride as Air:Inferno, as the GP are like that.
Don't doubt a Eurofighter, have you even been on the better ones like Speed? Because thats a Giant Eurofighter which is what Speed is, they have a better ride experience which can have suprising forces.
They are simply saving money, not going for the cheap option as the ride should still cost roughly £5-6 million. Rather than the £15-20 million a B&M would cost.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
As was also discussed, Alton have spent a large amount on just trying to keep air going - and let's face it- Thorpe's maintenance isn't quite all it could be ;)

They've also had issues with Intamin and S&S, so why not try for the little guy? The Eurofighters may be cheap, but they're reliable. You can spend what you save on theming and maybe a new flat ride. The GP wont care in the slightest, just a handful of picky arse enthusiasts.

So Thorpe are onto a winner...

AmandaPanda

Mega Poster
They're smooth too... Well deminstarted on Rage, the drop is thrilling on it aswell, so I don't believe that a less tackier version of RAge is too bad at all!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Coaster-Fiend said:
Of course another B&M would have fitted in the park, Heck- a coaster can be built to any size and Thorpe are filling in parts of the surrounding waters in order to house this new ride.

I'm sure I said something about this issue in my first post here... :roll:

As furie said, £15-20 million for a Flyer which would be with Thorpe's engineering team, and the Flyers aren't exactly the most reliable in the book, or a cheaper more reliable one?

Merlin aren't being cheap, more business sense here, as stuff like RITA and Stealth will not have the same life span as Corkscrew and Black Hole have/had...
With more (for want of a better word) OTT rides, the maintainance cost will be higher, and ALL rides get to a point where the costs are just too great (a la Black Hole's closure) to bother keeping the ride running...
With RITA, the hydraulic launching system requires a lot of work, and can put a lot of stress on the ride, hence I doubt it'll last 20 years...

And Speed is a fun ride...

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
furie said:
As was also discussed, Alton have spent a large amount on just trying to keep air going - and let's face it- Thorpe's maintenance isn't quite all it could be ;)

They've also had issues with Intamin and S&S, so why not try for the little guy? The Eurofighters may be cheap, but they're reliable. You can spend what you save on theming and maybe a new flat ride. The GP wont care in the slightest, just a handful of picky arse enthusiasts.

Good points, I have been on Speed and it does provide some nice forces and the first drop is cool.

If more of this coaster was concealed like Mystery Mine then I think it could be REALLY cool, but from the plans it seems that most of the track is outdoors. The only way I reckon the theming (how ever good it might be) could benefit the coaster would be if more of it was integrated into the ride experience.

If Euro Fighters are reliable that's good, but I understand B&M tend to require the least maintenance.. What exactly has AIR needed? That thing does look a little rusty around the edges these days... makes me wonder about that. It was only 2002, you would have thought AT would have painted it with that special stuff BPB coated the PMBO with.

Err...

Does anyone know why past Euro Fighters comprise of a solely 2D track, yet the the new Spongebob coaster is made up of a 3D triangle track similar to Intamin?,.. Is this the EF MkII?

http://rcdb.com/ig3727.htm

Dave

CF Legend
Coaster-Fiend said:
furie said:

Good points, I have been on Speed and it does provide some nice forces and the first drop is cool.

If more of this coaster was concealed like Mystery Mine then I think it could be REALLY cool, but from the plans it seems that most of the track is outdoors. The only way I reckon the theming (how ever good it might be) could benefit the coaster would be if more of it was integrated into the ride experience.

If Euro Fighters are reliable that's good, but I understand B&M tend to require the least maintenance.. What exactly has AIR needed? That thing does look a little rusty around the edges these days... makes me wonder about that. It was only 2002, you would have thought AT would have painted it with that special stuff BPB coated the PMBO with.

Err...

Does anyone know why past Euro Fighters comprise of a solely 2D track, yet the the new Spongebob coaster is made up of a 3D triangle track similar to Intamin?,.. Is this the EF MkII?

http://rcdb.com/ig3727.htm

The thing with AIR was mainly it being a prototype, so theres a lot of problems with prototypes usually. First it was a problem with the loading system, then sensors. Its a very complex machine.

I think the plans for Project Dylan do look really good, with the first part concealed leaving the heartline roll at the very beginning a nice little suprise for riders. The rest of the ride looks fast and thrilling, which I like in rides. Long as it dosen't fall to Small Train syndrome and quickly loose pace at the top of inversions.
Gerstlauer first used the tri-track on their 320 model Eurofighters (like Rage: http://www.rcdb.com/ig3573.htm?picture=13), this is to save money basically. You think that supports are the most expensive part of the ride, and if you use bi-rail your going to need a lot of supports, like Speed's helix for example, that utilizes so many supports because the G-force on it is about 4-5.5 G's.
http://www.rcdb.com/ig2721.htm?picture=20

Where as with tri-track you can slash costs with using the strenght of tri-track and loosing a few supports. This can mean Gersltauer can pretty much put any roller coaster into any park, like the Mall in Canada, which has a Gerstlauer Spinner shoe-horned into it, which uses tri-track.
http://www.rcdb.com/ig3829.htm?picture=6
In that picture you can see with tri-track the brake run looks un-supported, which shows the strength the track has.
Like UC said its just a development of the Eurofighter, as the rides are being reuqested bigger into the Giant Eurofighters the tri-track is seen to be used.

spicy

Giga Poster
^Yeah its a strange one that, I don't understand why they didn't use tri-rail track on Speed.

If you look at Speeds loop here:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2721.htm?picture=21

They have supported it quite strangely rather than just using tri-rail track with less supports like Rages loop:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig3573.htm?picture=7

Unless like you said in your previous post, they hadn't perfected the tri-rail track design yet, therefore didn't use it on speed.

For the record Thorpes Eurofighter does feature tri-rail track throughout the whole layout by the looks of it. See here:

http://ww2.runnymede.gov.uk/home/latest ... AN.001.pdf

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I have a question here:
Is Canada Creek an area in the park, or are they going to call the EuroFighter "Canada Creek Coaster", as it said in the applications?
I've never been to Thorpe, so I don't know.

TarkaTrax

Mega Poster
spicy said:
^Yeah its a strange one that, I don't understand why they didn't use tri-rail track on Speed.

spicy said:
Unless like you said in your previous post, they hadn't perfected the tri-rail track design yet, therefore didn't use it on speed.

Ding! You just answered your own question :p Speed was built a year before Rage was, clearly tri-track hadn't yet been perfected.

And although I suspect Thorpe's probably will use tri-track for most of it, I wouldn't trust that PDF too much, it's more to show off track heights and profile rather than showing exactly what type of track will be used where etc.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
spicy said:

If you look at Speeds loop here:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2721.htm?picture=21

They have supported it quite strangely rather than just using tri-rail track with less supports like Rages loop:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig3573.htm?picture=7

For the record Thorpes Eurofighter does feature tri-rail track throughout the whole layout by the looks of it. See here:

http://ww2.runnymede.gov.uk/home/latest ... AN.001.pdf

Cool.

I guess with Speed, as you guys noted they had just not perfected the tri track yet.

A

Anonymous

The loop support on speed is the same as those found on Typhoon at Boobejanland.

Which is an upgrade from the ones found on Wild Svinet, the first Eurofighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.