What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lofty

CF Legend
Just been looking at themeuk site and it appears that alot of the station structure is now starting top appear around the station track itself!

TarkaTrax

Mega Poster
http://rcdb.com/id4162.htm

Everyone's friend RCDB says 97 degrees. It's not always right, but I suspect that site's just rounding up. Though the first Eurofighters were 95 degrees, then the later ones were 97 degrees... So you never know, it could be 100 degrees.

PS. Does anyone else think 97 degrees sounds somehow cooler than 100 degrees?

Edit: I swear RCDB used to list the first two Eurofighters as 95 degrees, but now after checking it says 97... I've read it somewhere!

A

Anonymous

The drop is indeed 100 degrees, it was changed in the re-design so Thorpe can take advantage in advertising.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Trust Thorpe to make it more than all the others. Can they not build a ride that doesn't try to break some sort of record? Nemesis Inferno is a great ride and it doesn't break any records. If it's a good ride, surely they don't need a gimmick to advertise with (admittedly, a more than vertical drop is already a bit of a gimmick).

A-Kid

Giga Poster
jokerman said:
Nemesis Inferno is a great ride and it doesn't break any records.

^ Inferno did break a few records. But they are ones which knowbody really cares about. Longest pre-lift on an Invert... Only Interlocking corkscrews on one track, on an Invert. Most naked people on a coaster, which then got taken by Nemesis.

Just a' little info :wink:

NickkyG

Mega Poster
I honestly don't see whats wrong with breaking a record for advertising etc.

Why build a new coaster? To get more people in the park.
Why get more people in the park? To make more money.

They're just doing the logical thing: getting more customers. The average person would logically be drawn to a record breaker over something which seems 'ordinary'.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Dunno yet, we shall wait n see.

But if it's true, awesome to not only us but Thorpe Park. A coaster brings in more guests, right? Right, so a record breaker would bring in a whole swamp of guests, right? Right!

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Screaming Coasters said:

But if it's true, awesome to not only us but Thorpe Park. A coaster brings in more guests, right? Right, so a record breaker would bring in a whole swamp of guests, right? Right!

But it would still only be the worlds steepest eurofighter.
Still..the public would no doubt react to it.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
UncleArly said:
Screaming Coasters said:

Doesn't matter.
Them S&S Squirrel things are hardly drops, they are more like a bunch of inversions with straight bits. Like the public in the UK have ever seen one of those before so this probably will be known as the coaster with the steepest drop.

Bring on the publicity if its gonna fund the next big coaster.

neo

Mega Poster
Thorpe Park press release said:
The key element of the ride will be a ‘beyond vertical’ drop of 100º from a height of 100ft, before running through a number of thrill elements specifically developed for THORPE PARK.

Link: http://www.thorpepark.com/docs/2008rele ... .01.08.doc

I checked the Theme Park Review press release once more and it still insisted on it only being 97. They were both released on the same date of the 31st of January.

Did they send the enthusiasts the true facts?

Either way, from the perspective on Thorpe Park Manias mini website, it certainly looks to be steeper than other Eurofighter’s:

http://www.projectdylan.co.uk/page/construction

Another lot of high quality photos on foto whizz ( 21/09/08 ):
http://www.fotowhizz.com/tp008b.htm

TarkaTrax

Mega Poster
^Not sure you can see any difference myself, it's too marginal.

UncleArly said:

Thorpe will surely say:

The steepest drop in Europe!

That's a pretty marketable stat. And that's all it is really, a marketing play (nothing wrong with that by the way), you won't be able to tell the difference from the other Eurofighter drops.

Lofty

CF Legend
Hasn't that steel hawg, got like an 120* drop?

So even if theya re reying to say they have the steepest drop in the world, then they are lying basically, taking a leaf out of BPB's books!

A

Anonymous

Just to put in my two cents about the first drop stats:

Parks don't always tell the truth, especially in the early stages of a new coaster. For example, I clearly remember Canada's Wonderlan claiming Behemoth's first drop was going to be something like 85 degrees when they announced it. It clearly isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.