What's new

"Now Showing"

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Saw Balls of Fury last week. I know this had potential to be absoutely terrible, but I just saw something in the trailers that made me think it could be great, and it could have some lovely random humour. Which it does, but only very sporadically. In general, I thought it was pretty dire, but every now and then it just comes out with something really odd andquirky that really makes you giggle! But yeah, it comes out on par with things like the prequel to Dumb & Dumber, the worst film i've ever seen. Its not quite that bad, but if you want a laugh, go and see something else.

We've been watching Pearl Harbor in History class the last couple of days, as the teacher puts it on while we do our in-class exam review. I watched it a long time ago, probably right after it first was released on video, and I didn't really like it much then but I do kinda like it now. It's a bit on the long side no doubt, but I think people who say it's a copy of Titanic can shove it up their butts. It has a decent storyline, maybe not the most historically accurate thing, but it's worth a watch, if only once.

7/10!

Snoo

The Legend
^You have no taste in amazing movies.. child.. :lol:

Saw Beta House and Hannibal last night.. both 8/10

Jake

Strata Poster
peep said:
Oh yeah I forgot to post a review for a film I watched on DVD the other day. Its called The Machinist and stars Christian Bale as a man who has gone insane.

Its quite scary I suppose but not as in jumpy or "I've just pooped myself" scary. It is very dark and the subject matter is quite disturbing. Its similar to Memento but a lot darker. Christian Bale is fantastic in the lead role and the amount of effort he went to to appear the way he does in this is shocking and quite disgusting. I suppose its a good film, wouldn't really say it was enjoyable though.

Rating: 3/5

Ooh, I've had that since Christmas 2006 but haven't watched it yet!

Saw Disturbia yesterday - it was good, but it all felt a bit rushed (as in, the bits that should be action packed were over too quickly and the 'boring bits' seemed to drag on. Still give it a 7/10 or so though.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Just watched this trailer for quite frankly the BEST idea for a movie i've ever heard!

http://www.teethmovie.com/trailer.html

I dont want to spoil it for you.. but it's the best thing EVER!

Honestly, you'll be thanking me for this once you've seen trailer for it!

Plot synopsis follows (you'll need to highlight it)

High school student Dawn works hard at suppressing her budding sexuality by being the local chastity group's most active participant. Her task is made even more difficult by her bad boy stepbrother Brad's increasingly provocative behavior at home. A stranger to her own body, innocent Dawn discovers she has a toothed vagina when she becomes the object of violence. As she struggles to comprehend her anatomical uniqueness, Dawn experiences both the pitfalls and the power of being a living example of the vagina dentata myth.

Wow Clam, I'm so going to see that. I mean, what could possibly make a better plot than a girl with teeth in her vajayjay?

Looks like a frickin' joke to me. Actually I thought it was fake until I looked it up on IMDB.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I thought they all had teeth in there?

I haven't seen anything in the cinema for a while, but I've seen a few on dvd:

The Nanny Diaries

Not my choice. It wasn't an awful film, but nothing particularly good either. I guess Laura Linney performed well in it. I can't stand that Johannson woman though.

Cash Back

A bit of a weird one, and a bit slow to start. Once it got going though, it was pretty good, and had some really funny parts to it. It all felt a bit "student film" though.

This is England

I usually can't stand any U.K film described as having "gritty realism," but I liked this. The kid who plays the main character is absolutely amazing.

The Ten

10 short stories, with each one based on one of the ten commandments. Absolutely hilarious. The big song at the end ruined it for me though. The rest of it was really good.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Smelly said:
Just watched this trailer for quite frankly the BEST idea for a movie i've ever heard!

Dawn O'Keefe, her vag has Teeth! Sounds like a Viz strip!!! :lol:

Obviously taken from the Scarfe ****-monster from the 'one of my turns' section of The Wall.

Moving on! :lol:

I watched a couple last night.

The Manchurian Candidate was first up. It's one of those films that I seemed to hear all about, but didn't KNOW anything about. So I watched it pretty much blind as to what it was about. It's actually a bit lame, with a poor storyline, which just wasn't engaging at all. 2/5

Watched Thirteen Ghosts afterwards then. Hmmmm... I can't make up my mind about this one. The film has some great moments, and for a small section in the middle, it's genuinely a frightening film. Everything else though is just pants. The direction, acting, script and cheese filled - boys own - story are abysmal. I have to give it credit for being excellent for 10 or 20 minutes though :lol: 2/5 again...

Lain

Giga Poster
I watched Twelve Monkeys the other day. It was awesome.

I also watched V for Vendetta. It was also awesome.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
12 Monkey's is "must try harder" for Mr Gilliam, but is still good I suppose :)

Not seen 'V' yet, it's on the list :)

I forgot, I watched Red Dragon the other night (after the brief convo in here about it). I just spent all my time wishing that it was Manhunter, lamenting the lack of Brian Cox and wishing that they'd changed the original Thomas Harris story to be a bit more... well... A bit more like Manhunter really.

Red Dragon is actually a very bland film, there's nothing outstanding about it at all, apart from a decent enough story (which is essentially identical to Silence of the Lambs) and a tediously expected good performance from Anthony Hopkins (which in itself is bland, because he is just going through the motions). I'll not be watching it again...

Red Dragon is actually a very bland film, there's nothing outstanding about it at all, apart from a decent enough story (which is essentially identical to Silence of the Lambs) and a tediously expected good performance from Anthony Hopkins (which in itself is bland, because he is just going through the motions). I'll not be watching it again...

Aw boo, I thought they did a good job with it considering most movie sequels begin getting bad after like, the second one. Saw is a good example, like, they kept going and now they finally ruined it with the fourth one. I didn't feel like Red Dragon ruined the trilogy (or foursome, whatever). Wasn't as exciting as Silence of the Lambs or Hannibal, but I still thought it was good.

Going to see Juno tonight, better live up to my expectations. I've only heard good things about it!

By the way for those that have seen Cloverfield, was there tons and tons of like, banging (not the sex kind of banging, but the noise) in it? The theatre I went to when I seen the Bucket List on Sunday was smaller than the other ones in the city, and Cloverfield was playing in the theatre right beside ours, and all we heard throughout Bucket List was loud bangs coming through the wall.

How did i *KNOW* you'd like the idea of that taylor?

Because how can you take a movie about a girl with a toothy-vagina seriously?

nadroJ

CF Legend
Well I had a day off of school today because of a mega migraine and decided to watch Romeo+Juliet, with Leonardo DiCaprio. It was excellent, I really really enjoyed it and it almost made me cry despite me knowing what was going to happen. Really well directed, good actors and a good adaptation of the plot. 9/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I didn't feel like Red Dragon ruined the trilogy (or foursome, whatever). Wasn't as exciting as Silence of the Lambs or Hannibal, but I still thought it was good.

I'm not saying it was bad at all Taylor, it's perfectly fine as a film. Bland doesn't always mean bad, just that it's... bland... You watch it, you don't hate it, you don't love it, you just watch it and... 'meh'...

Its film-making by numbers. The book is actually better than SOTL, as is the story, yet the film isn;t as good, even with more money pumped into it. It's just because it was lazily made, following the formulas. With enough money, you can easily make a film which ticks all the right boxes (I prefer a painting-by-numbers analogy). What you have is something which isn't displeasing, and is perfectly adequate in every way. It just doesn't stand out though, and most films these days are the same.

Directional techniques, camera use, the ability for CGI to make anything possible, it all leads to very lazy, bland film-making. The industry is no longer limited by anything at all. The last real development in films was 'bullet time' - superb the first time you see The Matrix, but by the time you've seen 20 films with it, it's dull and over-used. Nothing shocks or surprises your senses anymore in cinema (which is why I think I have a soft-spot for Sin City, it looks like nothing else, good or bad - it's distinct).

It's also why I loved Batman Begins - the directional techniques used where traditional, and stunt men and real life models and cars were used, rather than going down the CGI avenue. It's a shock to watch a film which works like real life does, because CGI, no matter how good, always looks like CGI. I came out of BB saying "what an excellent film", rather than most films now where I come out saying "the effects/CGI were great".

Slightly off the Red Dragon subject there, but the overall effect is the same. The film just slips by, because it's too perfect, yet not outstanding in anyway. Bland!

Well I had a day off of school today because of a mega migraine and decided to watch Romeo+Juliet, with Leonardo DiCaprio. It was excellent, I really really enjoyed it and it almost made me cry despite me knowing what was going to happen. Really well directed, good actors and a good adaptation of the plot. 9/10

Leonardo DiCaprio ruins every film he's in. That's mostly because of his annoying hair though.

Actually, Titanic was the only movie I semi-liked with him in it.

Anyway, yeah Furie I see what you're saying. I think I just mistook bland for lame and boring, but either way, it's okay that you're a Red Dragon hataa (lol kidding, but I do have to say it's probably my least favourite of the three main Hannibal films).

nadroJ

CF Legend
Nooo! I love his sexy floppy 90s hair, specially when it's wet (which coincidently happens in every film lol) Yumms.

John91

Mega Poster
That modern version of Romeo+Juliet is pure torture. I had to watch it for English coursework. That's 90 minutes of my life that will never return. How can you have olde English with an american accent. It doesn't work!

Its soo far from sexy. I mean the rest of his hair is okay but this is the main thing that pisses me off:

lep-1.jpg

Long hair is hot but he ruins it. It's time for a new haircut, Leo.