What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
^ I keep hearing that its better than AVP, so I suppose that makes a change.

Anyways I have recently got back from wacthing Tim Burton's, Sweeney Todd: The demon barber of Fleet Street.

I was really looking forward to seeing this (hence why I couldn't wait till the actual release day, Friday). It was very hyped up by the media, it features some of my favorite actors and is directed by Burton who is an absolute legend so it has a lot to live up to. And you know what? It does! The songs are great and probably make up 85% of the speech, which shocked me as thats what you would expect from an opera not a musical. But it doesn't feel like the music is invading on a scene it just seems to flow in and out as if it was just the way the character talks normally. The sets are also very good and its just mind boggling to think that all of it was filmed at Pinewood Studios, a fantastic job. It feels so gritty and realistic.

Obviously Depp was fantastic as Sweeney, its so strange to think that this is the first time he has sung too, it feels so natural. Ed Sanders has defiantly got to get a mention too, his first role in a motion picture and he is awesome, a very good performance. Sacha Bohen Cohen (Ali G/Borat) does what he usually does and prances round taking on a completely different role as if thats his real persona. Very well done to him as he adds so much to his scenes, makes it more amusing and also real. Timothy Spall and Alan Rickman were great as the villians and they really created a sense that they were in charge and that they can get away with anything. Helena Boham Carter was very good too as Mrs Lovett and she really shines in my favorite track "A little priest".

The story itself is brilliant and the twist at the end is fantastic and took me by surprise, very gruesome and bloody. Oh yeah...the gore! There is a lot of it but if Warner had cut the scene they wanted to cut out it would have made it feel empty as the film needs the high body count that it has :twisted:

Soz for such a long review, but obviously you can tell that I love it...

Rating: 5/5 :D

That's awesome Peep, glad to hear you liked it. It's odd how late it is being released in the UK though, I mean, in Canada and America is was released in the middle of December.

So was Johnny Depp a good singer, or was his singing just kinda (hm I dunno how to put this) average but it just fit the part well?

I did hear there was a lot of gore, too, which is always a good thing, haha.

peep

CF Legend
Its annoying that we got the film so late, especially considering the only part of the film that wasn't made here was the recording of the soundtrack and the intro graphics.

Yeah there is plenty of gore and is done well.

Depp's singing, umm, I know what your asking but I think thats something I'll have to think about....

Five mins later...

I suppose it suited the role though, wasn't excellent singing like for a pop song for example but the tone used etc made his voice suit the film well.

Ollie

CF Legend
Well I got round to seeing Dog Soldiers today which is a film i've wanted to see for a while.
Good acting talent and very good werewolf effects. The twist at the end was good, but left the film with questions un-answered.
Also some of the attack scenes jumped shots too quickly so you didn't have time to take in which character was where and what was going on.

Overall it's worth a view if you like horror films that have more suspence than gore.

6/10. :D

Infernus

Hyper Poster
peep said:
^ I keep hearing that its better than AVP, so I suppose that makes a change.

Anyways I have recently got back from wacthing Tim Burton's, Sweeney Todd: The demon barber of Fleet Street.

I was really looking forward to seeing this (hence why I couldn't wait till the actual release day, Friday). It was very hyped up by the media, it features some of my favorite actors and is directed by Burton who is an absolute legend so it has a lot to live up to. And you know what? It does! The songs are great and probably make up 85% of the speech, which shocked me as thats what you would expect from an opera not a musical. But it doesn't feel like the music is invading on a scene it just seems to flow in and out as if it was just the way the character talks normally. The sets are also very good and its just mind boggling to think that all of it was filmed at Pinewood Studios, a fantastic job. It feels so gritty and realistic.

Obviously Depp was fantastic as Sweeney, its so strange to think that this is the first time he has sung too, it feels so natural. Ed Sanders has defiantly got to get a mention too, his first role in a motion picture and he is awesome, a very good performance. Sacha Bohen Cohen (Ali G/Borat) does what he usually does and prances round taking on a completely different role as if thats his real persona. Very well done to him as he adds so much to his scenes, makes it more amusing and also real. Timothy Spall and Alan Rickman were great as the villians and they really created a sense that they were in charge and that they can get away with anything. Helena Boham Carter was very good too as Mrs Lovett and she really shines in my favorite track "A little priest".

The story itself is brilliant and the twist at the end is fantastic and took me by surprise, very gruesome and bloody. Oh yeah...the gore! There is a lot of it but if Warner had cut the scene they wanted to cut out it would have made it feel empty as the film needs the high body count that it has :twisted:

Soz for such a long review, but obviously you can tell that I love it...

Rating: 5/5 :D

... What he said..

Ollie

CF Legend
Does anyone know when the sequal to Wrong Turn is coming out? I heard that their making on and I want to see it as the first one was rather good. :D

Does anyone know when the sequal to Wrong Turn is coming out? I heard that their making on and I want to see it as the first one was rather good.

I'm almost certain it has been out for ages now:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0804555/

I've seen it at our video stores over here, and according to IMDB, it says that it was released in August of last year! So I'd check out video stores or something, since yeah, it has been out for a while.

Going to see Bucket List later.

A

Anonymous

Got to say that I watched AVP requiem tonight and oh dear god, what a load of toss bags!

I couldn't help laughing in the bits I know were meant to be serious and gorey, very crappy characters with an absolute ****e ending.

Part with pregnant lady= very.****ing.disturbing. As if child birth isn't gruesome enough ffs!

Definately not one for girly girls however, good one for brownie points with the bf!!!

ROLL ON THE NEXT RAMBO!

Went to see The Bucket List today and though it seemed like it would appeal more to the geriatric audience, I can definitely say I enjoyed it quite a lot. I had heard very mixed reviews about it; IMDB has it rated eight out of ten, whereas our local paper rated it a three out of ten. Either way, it was a very heartwarming story! It had a lot of funny parts, but it was also very serious at times. Not to mention the fact that the majority of the audience was in tears, including myself (nothing like walking out of a theatre with mascara all over your face). The characters are loveable, and the storyline is cute, and that's all there is to say about it! It also wasn't overly long like a lot of movies are these days, which was a bonus.

It deserves probably an 8/10

EDIT- Loved this quote, lol:

Here's something to remember when you're older Thomas - never pass up a bathroom, never waste a hard-on, and never trust a fart.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Just got back from seeing Sweeney Todd (beaten to it by Peep & Infernus, grr! :p).

Do you like musical theatre? Because that's what this is, transferred to the screen. If you can't handle actors singing at each other rather than talking, then this isn't the film for you.

Brave choice by Tim Burton to tackle it, does it work? Kind of.

Johnny Depp is FANTASTIC, he bring a huge presence to the role of Todd and delivers the singing with aplomb. Alan Rickman does evil wonderfully and the other actors deliver as well (although Helena Bonham Carter's voice isn't really up to it. She sounds great with Depp though).

Burton adds some lovely stylistic flourishes (in his usual gothic stylee), the production design is excellent and the music sounds great.

But musical theatre works because it's LIVE. The frisson and tension of the performance makes it spark. Here we've got actors miming, and the only real tension comes from wondering if established actors can sing.

So ultimately, the only reason to see this is to hear Johnny Depp sing (unless you enjoy visuals). Otherwise go and see the real thing in the theatre.

Loved the final shot & music though. And watch out for the gore :wink:.

6.5/10

Ben

CF Legend
I just watched AVP and quite liked it, a few things bugged me though:

1. The stupid **** who thought she could speak English to the Predator. What the Hell did she expect some alien creature to do, turn around and invite her to discuss the Aliens over tea and crumpets? Daft brush.
2. The cute guy died. :(.
3. The fact the Aliens were victimized, when they are clearly cooler then the stupid Predators who have to turn invisible because otherwise they're not cool enough to win.
4. Note to director: we get it, you've seen Cube.

6/10. Nice chase-and-die thing, but not the best.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I watched a couple over the weekend.

Finally watched Sin City which I taped a few weeks back. This film really confuses me. The acting is abysmal at times, and some of the direction is poor as well. It's just such an easy film to watch though... You can just sit back and admire the way it's presented... I dunno, it's great, yet with touches of rubbish :lol:

I also finally got around to watching Jackie Brown - the last of Tarantino's films I've not seen. It's not a remarkable film (I like his work, but I've never been as gobsmacked as everyone else), but it's not dreadful. It's kind of run of the mill compared to his usual stuff I guess? Bit 'meh' really...

nadroJ

CF Legend
furie said:
Finally watched Sin City

I do love that film, but it gives me a headache at some points. And I know what you mean about the acting in some places.

I watched the start of Sicko in Media the other day. I've been waiting to see this for ages and just seeing the start of it really made me want to check out more. Pretty gory stuff at the beginning though.

peep

CF Legend
I've recently watched the film Serenity.

I thought it was enjoyable. The action sequences were good and the story was entertaining. I also like the little funny moments, made me lol.

Rating: 3/5

Ollie

CF Legend
Well I watched a few films over the weekend but 28 Weeks Later was the first one I watched.
Now... It had a great intro scene that jumped straight into the action and out lined the simple fact that the film is about people trying to survive.
After the intro it takes a while for them to get to the point that the infected have come back.

Good film and much better than the original.
8/10. :D

peep

CF Legend
Coaster Ollie said:
Good film and much better than the original.
8/10. :D

How can you say such a thing?! The sequel is terrible, I still can't get over the fact that Robert Carlye (sp?) even signed up to be in it. The original is so much better and how you can give weeks later 8 out of 10 is beyond me, it does not deserve such a high rating.

Oh yeah I forgot to post a review for a film I watched on DVD the other day. Its called The Machinist and stars Christian Bale as a man who has gone insane.

Its quite scary I suppose but not as in jumpy or "I've just pooped myself" scary. It is very dark and the subject matter is quite disturbing. Its similar to Memento but a lot darker. Christian Bale is fantastic in the lead role and the amount of effort he went to to appear the way he does in this is shocking and quite disgusting. I suppose its a good film, wouldn't really say it was enjoyable though.

Rating: 3/5