What's new

"Now Showing"

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
tomahawKSU said:
we may look at one of the worst superhero movies since HULK (the older complete **** one). **** you Disney.

Hey now, let's not say things that we can't take back...

Besides, Daredevil is the downright WORST Marvel film, followed closely by Hulk ;)

And I'm sure he turns up to the modern day in ice? (Not seen it yet since it's NOT BLOODY OUT :x)... And of course they'll tie it into the others, hence making Avengers slightly more believable that they all co-exist rather than separately from each other...

Aside from that, not sure what affect Disney are having on them... Shall have to see next week... I'm still looking forward to it, especially after seeing Thor again... Though not 3D, I dislike it...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
HP 7.2 Did the job, was "alright", not as bad as others which have been pretty poor, film-making by the numbers really. 8/10... Nah, 7/10 actually because they kept the final scene.

Also watched The Expendables... Yeah, complete and utter trash. Okay, I was expecting it to be complete and utter trash, but not quite at such a low level.

Pants, 3/10.

Dark Knight Rises I don't care about. If the Spiderman reboot doesn't suffer from "multiple villain syndrome", then I'll be more excited about it and DKR. Seriously, multiple villains ruins every film... That and George Lucas... ;)

My issue with the Spiderman reboot is what do they think they can achieve with it? When Sam Raimi took on the new series, he could bring his unique and "slightly odd" directional techniques. It meant the first one was actually good, not great, but good. Yeah, the others were poor, but the first one was good (except McGuire obviously :lol: )

So what do they think they can bring to the table to retell a story that was only told ten years ago? I assume a tie in with all the other Marvel crap they're using a scattergun approach to?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Honestly... this is why TDK was so bad imo. Joker and then two face tacked on the end making the film about thirty minutes too long. Didn't work. :p

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Would've been cool if they had set up the Two-Face story to be told in the next film (i.e. Have the Joker turn him, then not see or hear anything until the end when it gets reported about how Harvey has been seen shooting people or sommat), rather than make him suffer from "Cheap and Easy Villain Death", which seems to be rather evident in about every single film atm...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
^This Benin :)

Without the Two-Face stuff, TDK was a good film. With it, it made it a chore to watch and seriously detracted from the rest of the film. Christopher Nolan = Not as good as everyone thinks :p

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Might be somewhat childish, but I've got quite a bit of love for Aardman and hopefully this new movie will be just as good as their previous ones:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxJVHv_bmhk[/youtube]
<3

peep

CF Legend
Finally saw Cars 2 in 3D earlier.

Wasn't too sure if I was going to love it or hate it and I surprisingly loved it, very different from the first film and I think my love for spy films helped my enjoyment of it but overall it was just fun, I wouldn't say it was a funny film but it was enjoyable to say the least. The animation blew me away, somehow Pixar manage to push the limits on every film they do and I just thought this was gorgeous to look at, clearly helped out by the lovely locations. I really loved the hints at Ratatouille in the Paris section of the film and although I've heard the classic A113 is in the film twice I didn't spot either of them. I thought the score was ok but nothing special. The 3D effect was absolutely amazing, best use of 3D I've seen so far, it was just perfect, it gave the right sense of depth to the picture and I found it really immersive, which is what it should do. There was something about it which didn't feel quite right though, like they didn't spend enough time focusing on the building of characters apart from Mater and McQueen and there were parts of the story that seemed to just fly by. Hmm, will probably go and see it again soon.

Rating: 4/5

P.S. The film came with some epic trailers in 3D, got me all excited, Lion King, Brave and even (and I hate to say this) Puss in Boots. I don't think the 3D will be very impressive on Lion King but it'll just be amazing to see it on the big screen again but in Digital.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Will be seeing Cars 2 when I get back to MK in a few weeks :) I am notably known for my opinion on The Lion King (that it is good, but massively overrated [not that I hate it as some members would try and quote me on saying]) so I will end up watching it on the big screen when it comes out, but most likely in 2D. My true hatred on 3D remains.

Oh, and TDK was an ok film. Massively overrated I felt. Been putting off seeing Batman Begins for ages now for no reason, but I am looking forward to the new Batman film, weirdly.

Oh, and Emma Stone is just stunning <3

Anyway, here is yet another of my seemingly endless lists of film reviews I do every now and again:

In the Loop was very funny, very satirical and a very good film. I watched some of The Thick of IT, but never caught full series', but the film was brilliant. I laughed all the way through, the story carried itself and the characters were great. Brilliant British film making!

8/10

Watched Horrible Bosses. It was quite humorous, had great characters and the acting was brilliant. Unfortunately, there were many jokes spoilt by the trailer, however there were still plenty left in it which meant I found myself smiling through it. A tad overrated, but still a solid comedy - better than The Hangover Part II and Bad Teacher, not as good as Bridesmaids.

7/10

I'm slowly cracking on with catching up with the Harry Potter film series that I haven't seen...

I watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Granted, this book was in my opinion one of the most uneventful and boring books of the series, so I didn't expect the film to match the others, and I was correct in saying so. The pace of the film was good, the action (where applicable) was good and the film followed the events of the book well. The direction from David Yates was a bit questionable and a bit bland, but it was adequate enough not to spoil the film itself.

Not the best of the series that I've watched so far, but oh well.

7/10

Watched Ghosts of Girlfriend's Past. I was unsure what to expect from this, but I at least expected a laugh or two. I got none. It was yet another film replicating the now boring Christmas Carol tale but applying it to another situation and time of year. Emma Stone was in it, which was great, but she looked horrid in what she had to wear and the character she had to portray. The film was boring throughout the most part.

5/10

The Time Travellers Wife. For the first time in a while, I wished this film was longer. Not because I overly enjoyed it, but because I felt some parts of the film were done so quickly and without too much depth that it felt like they were trying to cram so much into the film in such a short time, which left me feeling a bit empty and unsympathetic to the story. The story itself was great - clever, unpredictable and not at one bit cheesy, which it so easily could have been. I enjoyed it, I guess.

7.5/10

I watched Justin Bieber: Never Say Never. Right, I wanted to see this at the cinema as I love watching terrible films, but never got the chance. What with my sister having got it the other day and wanting to watch it constantly, I thought I'd give it a shot. Annoyingly, it was better than I expected/wanted it to be - was a good story of his life, not too much of him singing and had some attractive girls in it too. However, they wee screaming lots and when he was singing, I wanted to die. He has talent - not denying that - but I don't like him still, although he has grown slightly on me. Overall, better than it should be, but down get into a hot sweat over it.

5/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Movie review catchup, this should be quick ;)

Splice What a load of bollocks. Avoid like Taylor! 4/10[/b]

Detroit Rock City Still amusing after all these years. Okay, it's a bit rubbish, but it makes me smile. 8/10.

The Road Bleaker than a naked octogenarian and about as much fun. Though, there's something compelling about the bravery of the film being presented in such a way. 7/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
kimahri said:
Detroit rock city? is that like the manga with some scary guy on the front that i like to avoid?

No, it's a bunch of school metal heads trying to get to see Kiss in concert in 1979 or something. It's a simple road trip type film...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Finally got to see Kick Ass - thanks to Stella and their Free DVD offer :)

Erm, It was better than I thought, not quite as formulaic as it could have been and what there was was clearly parody. It was a fun film generally, but nothing particularly stunning. It had "hramumblemumblerumblemey" in it too, so marks knocked off for that.

8/10 though, as it ticked along nicely. Free helped though :)

peep

CF Legend
Seen a few films this week. First up, The big picture

It's a new French film starring the guy from Heartbreakers (one of my fav French films of the last few years). I thought it was going to be your standard couple in a bad relationship then divorce type drama but about half way through something unexpected (unless you've seen the trailer) happens and it goes a bit mental but in a good way. At times it is a little slow but the acting in the film is absolutely superb and it's directed really well. It's a great film, not a very re-watchable film though but it's worth a watch.

Rating: 4/5

Beginner

All I knew about this film was that it stars Ewan McGregor. The film was, how should I put this...weird. It was a bit of a mess in my opinion and the story was a bit random. I liked the chemistry between McGregor and Mélanie Laurent and I thought their scenes together were really great. Christopher Plummer brought some much needed comedy to the film too as did the random dog. It's generally a very odd film and I'm still not sure if I actually like it or not. Mergh.

Rating: 3/5

Horrible Bosses

I went in expected to hate it, thought it would be another comedy where all the funny bits are in the trailer. However I was pleasantly surprised to find a decent comedy with lots of very moments. Kevin Spacey proves again how much of a legend he is and I just generally enjoyed it, hurrah.

Rating: 3.5/5

Captain America: The first Avenger in 2D

What can I say, I was really looking forward to this film and it didn't disappoint. It had a fantastic cast (Chris Evans is perfect as Captain America), a great villain and amazing set pieces. There is one thing that did annoy me though and that was the special effects. I'm not sure if it was the intended style or if the effects peeps can't composite (umm, make it look like the actors aren't on a green screen, give the image a bit of depth). Either way it annoyed me and ruined the big action scenes for me a bit as all I could think of was "wow, this looks turd". Putting that past me though leaves one great film which ties very nicely into the next film, obviously. Oh and post-credits scene, well, it's more than a scene and it got all the fans in the audience getting themselves all pant-wettingly excited.

Rating: 4.5/5

P.S. I might watch it again but in 3D, see if there is much of a difference.

kimahri

CF Legend
He looks, kinda meh... Where is my riddler :C and more scarecrow :C. **** Batman!

MUST GO SEE ARRIETTY! IT'LL PROBABLY BE BETTER OR SOMETHING!

Ben

CF Legend
Someone is going to have to explain to me the reasoning behind putting one of the most beautiful men alive in a mask <//3

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^It provides him with the chemical that gives him said strength. (Please correct me if I am wrong) It also keeps him alive.

A

Anonymous

kimahri said:
MUST GO SEE ARRIETTY! IT'LL PROBABLY BE BETTER OR SOMETHING!
It's pretty meh to be honest, nothing like the better of the Ghibli stuff...