What's new

"Now Showing"

Snoo

The Legend
nadroJ said:
I can't get over how emotional the whole thing was. The sense of righteousness throughout almost brought me to tears. The best characters for this were the entire Weasley family (so tragic =[), Neville (who is just such a perfect underdog it's stupid!) and Professor McGonogall (her devotion to Hogwarts and protecting it and its students is just amazing). I love a good fight scene anyway but the battle of Hogwarts is one of the best I've seen for me, purely because of how much I actually care about the characters due to reading the books so many times.

One disappointing thing about this film is the fact that it shows just how good a film the Potter books have the potential to be. The rest of them are crap in my opinion. They're trimmed down so much to try and fit into a watchable length of film that they end up completely skipping some really crucial parts of the story, or they fail to emphasise the importance or relevance of a certain character or event. I've always been to see these films with people who haven't read the books and every time have had to fill in the blanks for them. Characters like Bellatrix, Fenrir Greyback and especially Voldemort are not made to seem as evil as they are, and so when they do these terrible things they're nowhere near as impacting as they should be. Which is a shame. Oh well, at least this film rounded of the series spectacularly.

Agreed completely with the first paragraph.. really spot on tbh. Definitely my favorite film of the whole bunch.

I'm shady on the rest tho.. many factors came into what they kept and what they dropped. Mostly, they kept the storyline which the GP could follow as you noted.. and following the book word for word is impossible. Each movie was massively long as is and throwing in tid bits that most people really don't care about probably would have made the movies worse imo. BUT, having not read the books, I do understand your point.. I do feel that some characters, such as Voldemort, just didn't HIT you until this final film.. kinda like you read the spark notes overall until then.

troikaX3

Roller Poster
HORRIBLE BOSSES: 7/10
Definitely enjoyable and entertaining. Most of the characters were pretty cliched, and the only memorable one was Jennifer Aniston's. It was not one of those laugh out loud movies, but funny nonetheless.

peep

CF Legend
Oh Cial, I'm glad you've said that about the Tree of Life film. I was 50/50 about going to see it but even being a lover of film there are arty ones which I just can't stand and I had a feeling this would be one of them and it sounds like it is.

Hmm, anywho I finally saw Potter 8 in *shudders* 3D.

So, lets start off with a little list of things I need to mention:
- I love the Potter films
- I HATED the 7th film
- I have NOT read the books
- Film gives the best ever reason for why films should NOT be converted from 2D to 3D
- Batman teaser shows too little :p

Yeah, so, I thought the first part of the finale was abysmal, don't understand why peeps liked it, it suffered from what I call "Lord of the Rings syndrome" where 98% of the film is just characters wandering around mountainous and foresty locations going "urgh". BORING. However this part was so much better but it still felt like there was something missing. The battle and emotional scenes were well executed and it was good to see random shots of teachers (read as: famous British actors) we haven't seen for several films now, or feels like it anyway. I'm still not sure what it was missing, maybe it was the way it hung around long enough for some scenes to finish and then sped through others. I thought at times the score was a little off too. All the acting was great though and I thought the special effects were fantastic, as always.

Right now I'm going to enter full RAGE mode. 3D WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHY?!!! I've seen some terrible 2D to 3D conversion before (see: Clash of the Titans) but this was an absolute joke, like, it was galaxies beyond a simple facepalm of fail. There were entire scenes where I couldn't even tell wtf was going on. Example: Foresty scene near the end, I couldn't even tell who was standing there, it was just a fuzzy blur. Now I don't know if it was the cinema projection system messing up on a scale that should never happen or if the peeps responsible for the conversion process were in fact complete morons, either way it has confirmed my decision that I must see the film a second time, this time in 2D.

So the film is really good, a fantastic way to end the series but definitely doesn't deserve the huge hype it is receiving.

Rating: 3/5

Oh yeah and the Batman teaser, for those that haven't seen it is pretty much several clips from Begins and TDK, mixed in with tiny glimpses at the new film with a cool voiceover. So there isn't really much to go on, maybe we will see more at comic-con in a couple of weeks?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^Filming only started about a month or two ago, so I doubt we will see a real trailer. Something that series has done great is create interest by barely showing anything. We may get a real trailer around Christmas time, and then I'd say with the Avengers in May, but other than that, we have a year to go, so there won't be much.

nadroJ

CF Legend
peep said:
So the film is really good, a fantastic way to end the series but definitely doesn't deserve the huge hype it is receiving.

See, for me part of the hype is the fact that this signalled the end of Harry Potter. Never again will we see queues miles long of random people dressed as wizards waiting for the latest book/film to be released. It's the end of an era. And it is also very emotional for the people who have known and loved Potter for so long (moreso in the case of those who have read the books and therefore having a deeper understanding of each and every character, their backgrounds and their importance in the overall place the the finale). Like I said in my review, my enjoyment of the film came from how emotionally involved and connected I felt to the characters, which therefore meant that I was experiencing their grief alongside them, rather than from a stand-off audience point of view.

As a film alone, sure, it's not the best thing any of us have ever seen, but it is the whole phenomenon that is Harry Potter that makes the final installment so great.

coasterboy

Mega Poster
For those who still haven't seen the Dark Knight Rises trailer - [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osvvGdnBL9c[/youtube]

Pretty cool IMO, but Bane looks a lot less menacing than I thought he would (apart from the scene at the end)

nadroJ

CF Legend
I'm really not that excited for the Dark Knight Rises, despite the fact that it has my two favourite men playing opposite each other (Bale and Hardy <3) I just can't get excited for it. I've never been a massive Nolan fan but all of his films receive so much hype and expectation that I end up bored of the film before it's even out! I'm sure I'll go and see it, I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I can't get excited for it at this moment in time.

In other news, I watched Showgirls last night, a film I haven't seen in a long, long time. To be honest, it's not as bad as I remember it being. The ridiculous swimming pool sex scene is still ridiculous but I've definitely seen films that are worse acted than this. And it has lots of sexy ladies to watch in it. So yeah, fun times =]

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^^Cannot base how menacing a character will be based on like, 3 shots of him all of which aren't particularly clear...

Besides, he'll be more menacing than THIS...

BaneJS.jpg

Snoo

The Legend
nadroJ said:
I'm really not that excited for the Dark Knight Rises, despite the fact that it has my two favourite men playing opposite each other (Bale and Hardy <3) I just can't get excited for it. I've never been a massive Nolan fan but all of his films receive so much hype and expectation that I end up bored of the film before it's even out! I'm sure I'll go and see it, I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I can't get excited for it at this moment in time.

I definitely can't be as excited for this one as I was for TDK. The fact that Joker looked so incredible just from his voice in the teaser and knowing who was playing him.. simply made me get a film boner. And the end result was simply incredible. One of the best acting experiences and one of the better movies I've ever enjoyed. Now.. I have a feeling that this will end up more like the first one.. as not as spectacular with the singular enemy that TDK had.

Dave

CF Legend
^ I agree, it was the initial expectation of whether Heath could match the previous Joker's, and then blew everyone away with the first trailers/photos. Where as this time it's harder to be excited on the same level.
But I'm still excited as Batman is my favourite comic character, as remember he isn't a superhero, he dosen't have 'powers', he's rich.

kimahri

CF Legend
Just got back from HP 7-2. As a movie, it was good. A nice finish to a movie series that's had at least some consitency in it, especiall for going on as long as it did. Due to 2-d being full I went to see it in 3-d and frankly it added nothing to the movie, it was just, there. Didn't take anything away but it just another movie where 3-D did **** all added to my list. (which is now Double the size of my Movie where 3-d worked list, which is just Avatar...).

So yeah, I liked it.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Emma Stone is in it?

Great, Nicky gets to ogle Andrew Garfield and I get someone I find highly over-rated... Might as well just forget this film now... ¬¬

peep

CF Legend
I agree about the 'yet another origin story', especially for one we've already seen before. I kinda like the look/sound of what they're trying to do with this film and tbh it's a teaser a year before release, it'll look completely different to that...probably. For example the graphics looked very game-like, I'm thinking because of it being at such an early stage of production? Also the Raimi films were turd, this looks a lot better in every department.

Oh and yay for Emma Stone, she was amazing in Easy A. Rhys Ifans as the villain too makes me uber excited about this film, he is just PERFECT for the role. I think Garfield looks a little odd as Spidey but I'm sure I'll get used to it over time.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
RE: "Now Showing"

He can't be worse than Tobey MacGuire f-Ing horrible. Can't decide if I like Emma Stone blonde or not. Oh well shes still hot.

Sent from your mom's home

Snoo

The Legend
She shoulda stayed brunette.. much hotter.

Btw.. fun fact.. Chris Zylka, who plays Flash Thompson.. went to my HS. He was actually the QB on the football team.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Captain America

Now, when I heard Marvel was bought by Disney, I was excited at the possibilities for future theme park additions etc. but not for movies. That theory became a nightmare watching Captain America. I saw it again in 2D and again, with the **** ty post conversion 3D you could tell it hurt the film. A lot. Hopefully, studios realize it is just not worth it to do it the wrong way, but I highly doubt it. The movie was all over the place, the script was horrible, some of the worst CG I have seen from a big blockbuster movie in years, think Harry Potter 1 bad. While it does give the origin, it doesn't give the correct origin, and I am not even a big Captain America comic book fan, in regards to how he gets to modern time. They tried to tie it with Thor, but failed on an epic scale, and to top it off, the best part of the movie was the Avengers trailer at the end of the credits because you got to see Scarlett Johanson <3 and Robert Downey Jr. I was so excited for this and it just failed. Now, my expectations for The Disney Avengers is shot. Way to ruin a great set of films.

4/10

P.S.- If I am wrong about this being the first full Disney Marvel film, and I know for a fact the Avengers is, we may look at one of the worst superhero movies since HULK (the older complete **** one). **** you Disney. Go Dark Knight Rises.