What's new

"Now Showing"

Snoo

The Legend
peep said:
Saw Transformers: Dark side of the moon in 3D earlier.

I enjoyed the first film but the second film was pretty awful so what did I think of this one? Well Megan Fox was replaced by a clone with a British accent which was weird and hard to get used to. The special effects are still absolutely stunning and the finale is quite breathtaking. There are some nice bits of humour in there again and unexpected (well, to me anyways) top-class actors in pivotal roles which added to it a bit. The music sounded like it was trying too hard to be Inception and the film goes on a bit too long for my liking. However the first 5-10 minutes are genius, the way they set the film up with a mix of archive and new footage was just excellent, just a shame that a mere 2 seconds after that scenes fade is just a shot of nameless female lead's legs, urgh. Overall it's an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster movie with some decent action set pieces and superb special effects oh and the 3D wasn't too bad either (for a change).

Rating: 3.5/5

This.

Dave

CF Legend
gavin said:
^I've read the play. I'm an English teacher. I think I'll "get" it. It's just a case of when I can be arsed to watch a film that requires a bit of concentration over a bit of more mindless entertainment.

Well the last person I reccommended it to text me after watching it for 10 minutes saying "What is this gay ****!?" then didn't watch it again, she still has that DVD, bitch.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
nadroJ said:
Next up is Child's Play 2. Now this is the film they (by they I mean the newspapers and media, etc) blame the murder of Jamie Bulger on.

That was Child's Play 3. If I remember correctly it actually ended up being banned for a while because of the "Outrage!". It really was the start of the whole "violent films/games make kids violent" bollocks that is still going on today.

I love the Child's Play films. Well, I used to anyway. I haven't watched any of them for ages.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Ah, yes, you are correct, I wonder why I thought it was 2? Was sure of it. Oh well, I haven't seen 3 yet, I'd quite like a box set of the films, they're pretty awesome so far.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I hardly ever post in this topic, mainly because my life is so busy I don't have time to sit and enjoy films. But this week I've been whoring a free Love Film trial (£15 from Quidco get in!) and decided to go with some culture!

First up, Y Mamá Tu También, which I'd heard good things about and had been meaning to watch for ages. Its really a story about growing up and doesn't have that much of a plot other than these two teenage boys who convince a women to go on a road trip to the beach with them. The whole thing is filmed in Mexico in Spanish with subtitles. That's it really, except there's loads of rather graphic sex scenes (don't watch it with your family!), some very amusing dialogue, and beautiful location. It really made me want to go and see Mexico, a country I'd previously considered a bit daunting travel-wise. Anyway, it turns out that the girl has a big secret that you don't find out till the very end. Overall a bit arty if you like that sort of thing, and some cringe-worthy moments, but interesting from an educational point of view. Quite often, there's a third person narrative over the film which drops hint about Mexico's history and politics, as well as backstory to the characters. I'm crap at rating films, but maybe 7/10

Next, I stuck with the Spanish theme and went for Echo Park (Quinceañera) which is about a 14 year old girl living in LA who gets pregnant and is thrown out by her strict Catholic parents. She goes to live with her gay cousin and kind old great-uncle, until they are faced with eviction. It's theme is about how anyone can become family, and is overall a very charming and funny film. I guess I'll go for another 7/10 cos I'm so crap at this rating business.

All this Spanish stuff is making me want to travel more than ever. Might dig out Pan's Labyrinth next as haven't seen that for a while.

Anyone know any good Italian films to get me in the mood for the Live?
Obv. the Italian Job lol!

Nic

Strata Poster
To many of you, what I'm about to say will seem like some form of heresy.

This week, I finally watched This is Spinal Tap all the way through.

I thought it was a bit crap. Yes, crap.

It's not that I don't get it. I do. I just didn't find it very funny. Neither is it that I'm not into that kind of film. I am. I LOVE 'Best in Show' (also by Christopher Guest) - in fact, I just re-watched that for the first time in a few years to make absolutely sure (Jane Lynch <3). Yup, still love it.

There were a couple of lines that made me chuckle, but nothing that made me really lol, and literally only a couple. I know the film is as old as I am, but it all just seemed rather dated to be honest. The humour that is, not just the setting, costumes etc.

I'm not denying that this film has huge cultural significance and is regularly referenced all over the place (the most famous of which is probably having amps that can be turned up to 11). I'm sure it's also hugely influential to a lot of the "mockumentary" films and TV shows that I love. I think that's partly the problem though. You know when you see a film, and realise that you'd already seen all the best bits in the trailer? It's the same here. All the best jokes etc have been milked to death over the years, so just aren't that funny anymore.

I wanted to love it. I really did. I just couldn't.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Horrible Bosses.

Horrible= Jason Sudekis, Charlie Day, and Jason Bateman in this movie. The rest of the movie pretty funny. They didn't fit well together, at all. Jennifer Aniston half naked definitely was a good thing, Kevin Spacey is amazing, and Jamie Fox was pretty funny too. Sadly the first three had way too big of a part for their skill. We get it, Charlie Day, you play an idiot on Sunny, don't need to do it for everything to THAT degree.

5/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nic: This is Spinal Tap = I'd rather have a Spinal Tap.

It's a film you need to watch so you can "get" the references to it. However, it's just exceptionally tedious. Maybe, just maybe, it's one of those films where you "had to be there at the time" to find truly brilliant. Maybe if you were into cock-rock in the late 70's, you'll understand everything, but you're right it has just aged so badly. It captured a small moment in time of small insignificance beyond that time.

So yeah, I watched it, was bored by it and have no desire to ever watch it again.

Jer

Strata Poster
Last night I watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone again but it had Rifftrax. For those unaware, Rifftrax are a modern day equivalent to Mystery Science Theater 3000 (same voice actors and all). Nothing has made me notice how truly mediocre that movie is, I mean back then it amazed me, but that was 11 years ago, and I was 8, I'm watching it now and it hasn't aged well at all, a lot o the effects look very cheesy even by older standards, and the CGI looked quite poor. Then the guys from Rifftrax kept going on about the pacing, which I didn't notice until yesterday, the movie does drag on quite a lot. I dunno, bakc then I loved it, but watching it now really shows it's age, especially up against the newer ones.

5/10

now im going to hide from any possible backlash for this....

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
They did a quick survey in the US and discovered that very few people understood what a philosopher is... So they changed the name to one people there could understand... Yes, groan...

Jer

Strata Poster
Well, I'm not one of those, I was just calling it the American name, if you REALLY want me to I can edit it to better suit your needs.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Surely people aren't that stupid? I have a greater faith in humanity!
I think it's the film company dumbing down if you ask me. It all depends on how the survey is carried out!
I have a little experience of marketing surveys, and they are always bull ****.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
No dear please don't, I wasn't having a go at you. I just hate it when the film industry tampers with things for no apparent reason - it's a huge niggle of mine. Why can't they just leave it in the book? Ahhh

*goes back to library and cowers from the scary modern world*

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Just double checked.

When it was being published, the US publishers thought that having "Philosopher" in the title would put children off; I assume because they're all scary paedophiles or something?

So it was changed, despite the fact that the "Philosopher's Stone" is a true alchemical legend and it's where the entire story has it's base roots. It was Rowling herself that suggested Sorcerer's Stone, and she has regretted it ever since.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
furie said:
"Philosopher's Stone" is a true alchemical legend

Exactly. It's not like JKR just made it up! You can't just go changing legends just because you feel like it!
Maybe audiences could better identify with these:

The Hunched Knee of Springfield,
The Obese Mermaid,
The Loch Ness slightly large fish...

It's ridiculous!

Jer

Strata Poster
I still dont see the real issue on why they changed it....are kids not supposed to know the difference between philosopher and pedophile? What are they teaching them...