What's new

"Now Showing"

kimahri

CF Legend
Double post, Who cares it's a actual movie review from me instead of Anime series.

Akira

An anime movie instead! I got Bluray collectors edition which comes with the more recent dubbing with Johnny Yong Bosche or what ever his name it, the second Black Power Ranger in MMPR, so I don't know what that's like compaired to Japanese or the original western dubbing but it was pretty danm good regardless.

Now I'm dreading the live action remake know what could be spoiled...

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Bad Teacher

Jason Segal made this movie somewhat enjoyable. Cameron Diaz is aging horribly (and looks like she took a trout slap to the mouth) Timberlake proved he should just host SNL, nothing more, and it seemed very unorganized. Laughed a few times, but the characters were pretty annoying (besides for Segal) and yeah.

4/10

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Cedar Rapids

For what it is, its hilarious. It's cheap, stupid, weak story, but for what they are trying to achieve, it's perfect. Personally I enjoy when actors make movies with their friends i.e. Happy Madison Will Ferrell/John C. Riley, and this is one of those movies.

For the type of movie 8/10

on a real scale 6/10

peep

CF Legend
Got back from seeing Bridesmaids.

Urgh, why do people cream over this? I went in thinking it'll be amazing from all the rave reviews but all I could tell was that the first 20 minutes was epic hilarity for the female audience and then the comedy just dies a horrible death with one or two laughs later on. It was just pure tripe. It was just really depressing and most of the 'laughs' came from just cringey moments and I LOATHE cringe-inducing comedy, just not up my street whatsoever. Oh and it was really odd, the first time I've seen a trailer for a comedy where all the laughs in the trailer are edited OUT of the film, totally wtf. I just didn't enjoy it at all, what a fail.

Rating: 1/5

Rabbit Hole

I watched it on the plane ride to England the other day just to try to stop myself from having a turbulence-induced heart attack, and didn't expect much from it, but it was really good. It didn't much follow the "formula" of what stories usually go by, but the way it was so unconventional made it good. It was just really real, and sometimes felt more like a documentary than a film. But yah, I really liked it and though it wasn't something I would watch again, it was very well done.

8/10

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Transformers:Dark of the Moon 3D: An IMAX Experience

If you can see it in this format. Do it. If not. See it in 3D. I did enjoy the first 2, acknowledging the second one was crap, but I enjoyed them. Michael Bay made a huge deal about not wanting to do 3D, but when James Cameron and Steven Spielberg told him they would assist, he did. And wow.Yes, there are explosions, a weak story, corny jokes, but that is what the movie is, and trying to be. It is not trying to be The Dark Knight or anything like that, it is a movie about robots from space blowing **** up. If you can't accept the grounds of the movie don't see it because you will just want to flame about it later. With that, it is the best 3D to date. The wingsuit scene is the highlight for 3D and just awesome. Was the scene needed in the movie? Probably not but Bay wanted to give all the post conversion 3D people the middle finger and say this is how it's done, and well done.

Robots blowing **** up, explosions, Rosie Big Lips ass hanging out, her bending over, her standing there, humans not trusting the autobots, then saying sorry, then more **** blows up, and then the movie ends. If that isn't your cup of tea, don't see it, but if you like looking at a nice ass and seeing **** blow up and enjoying your time at the movie and not having to break it down for an indepth meaning, don't.

4/5

peep

CF Legend
Saw Transformers: Dark side of the moon in 3D earlier.

I enjoyed the first film but the second film was pretty awful so what did I think of this one? Well Megan Fox was replaced by a clone with a British accent which was weird and hard to get used to. The special effects are still absolutely stunning and the finale is quite breathtaking. There are some nice bits of humour in there again and unexpected (well, to me anyways) top-class actors in pivotal roles which added to it a bit. The music sounded like it was trying too hard to be Inception and the film goes on a bit too long for my liking. However the first 5-10 minutes are genius, the way they set the film up with a mix of archive and new footage was just excellent, just a shame that a mere 2 seconds after that scenes fade is just a shot of nameless female lead's legs, urgh. Overall it's an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster movie with some decent action set pieces and superb special effects oh and the 3D wasn't too bad either (for a change).

Rating: 3.5/5

Dave

CF Legend
^ Was there a shot of a dog in a danger situation and it comes out unscathed?

Watched Titus again, was awesome!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-snslXbUv7I[/youtube]

Hopkins is a beast in this film.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Weird. I just got that a couple of days ago. Still haven't watched it yet though. It's finding the energy to actually concentrate for two and a half hours that's a bit of an issue.

Jer

Strata Poster
Finally got around to watching Black Swan While it was really good, it wasnt the amazing eyegasm I expected from the reviews, It was good though, but because I was so hyped up about it and expected the best movie ever made, I was a little disappointed.

7/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
My neighbour Totoro. If you've seen it, you know how good it is. If you haven't, then you need to see it. No need for a review really :)

10/10

kimahri

CF Legend
20110703174146.jpg

I kinda like My neighbour Totoro as well. <3

Dave

CF Legend
gavin said:
^Weird. I just got that a couple of days ago. Still haven't watched it yet though. It's finding the energy to actually concentrate for two and a half hours that's a bit of an issue.

It's a difficult one to get into. I saw it at Shakespeare's Globe before I saw the film, which helped.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I've read the play. I'm an English teacher. I think I'll "get" it. It's just a case of when I can be arsed to watch a film that requires a bit of concentration over a bit of more mindless entertainment.

Watched I Love You Philip Morris last night. I'm not sure what to make of it really. It was funny in parts, but ultimately I didn't like any of the characters, so I couldn't care less about it and was left feeling a bit empty.

Jim Carey was pretty good in it, but it's not his best. Ewan McGregor was a bit crap. I hate how just because straight actors play gay characters they're automatically labelled as great performances, kind of like when people slur their speech a bit to play "retard", and instantly get Oscar nominations.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^I know what you mean about that. I laughed a lot in some parts of the film, almost cried when I saw Jim Carey having sex on screen portrayed that graphically (I know it's not exactly explicit, I think it's the language that got me) and was generally quite bemused throughout the entire thing. It is a weird one.

I've watched a billion and one films recently because my life is just a ton of joy at the moment (working a lot) but I can't be bothered to review everything I've watched so I'll just do a few.

First up is Frozen. Those who know me and my film taste know I love anything that revolves around general human misery. So when a film crops up with the premise of three stupid teenagers going and getting themselves stuck up a ski-lift facing certain death you know I'm going to love it. The thing with horror films is there is a lot of crap, but sometimes, that crap is SO crap that it's really quite enjoyable. Which is exactly what I thought was going to happen with this film. Anyway, I put it on expecting to laugh at how stupid it was but found myself quite into it and generally horrified and squirming with glee as their situation got progressively worse. Some good plot twists and genuinely horrifying scenes. 7.5/10.

Next up is Child's Play 2. Now this is the film they (by they I mean the newspapers and media, etc) blame the murder of Jamie Bulger on. Apparently the two devil children who murdered him had watched this evil piece of film before doing what they did. Ahem. Anyway, I'd only recently got around to seeing Child's Play and really loved it, so was dying to see this one. It's pretty much the same thing: utterly terrifying good-guy doll possessed by a serial killer who can do voodoo tries to murder a small helpless child, who for some reason won't die. It's pretty standard cheesey 80s horror goodness, lots of over the top facial expressions, people screaming and leaping through windows and gimmicky deaths. The final showdown scene in the toy factory is absolute perfection, from the moment you see the machine that puts the doll eyes into place you know what's going to happen, and yet it's still awesome when it finally does! (I won't ruin it, but it's delightfully gruesome). I really enjoyed it, but not as much as the first one. 7/10.

I started watching Scanners but turned it off after 30 minutes because it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. The DVD cover and blurb make it sound very horror, but after half an hour of watching I could tell this was another strange warped horror, David Cronenburg style. I didn't turn it off because I wasn't enjoying it, it was merely because I just wanted to watch some old school slasher films, and this wasn't it. Very odd stuff though, I'll review it properly when I've watched it all.